Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Bilateral orchiectomy

Started by Floritine, February 01, 2016, 11:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floritine

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while.
I have a appointment with a Dr later this month in Sydney for a bilateral orchiectomy ( inluding two referal letters needed for this surgury) and I was wondering what are peoples opinions / experience after they have had bilateral orchiectomy and how long recovery was when they got home ?
Also did you stop Spiractin before or after surgury ?
Thanks Tracy
  •  

KayXo

I think you need to stop spironolactone 1 week before surgery due to effect on electrolytes. Check with surgeon and your doctor. Post-op, anti-androgens like spironolactone are not necessary.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Steph34

I had crippling pain for a full week after the operation in December, on strong pain medications and unable to get up. Walking was very painful in the second week as well. I still have occasional pain during physical activity if I do not wear loose clothing.

I was not on spironolactone but did continue leuprolide until the very end. My surgeon said to avoid estrogen for one week before and after to reduce the risk of blood clots. In all honesty, I stayed on it until 2 days beforehand - a whole week without estrogen makes me feel like I am dying! Though I was off of it for 6 days afterwards, mainly because I was in so much pain and had gastrointestinal side effects from the surgery; I could not handle it either physically or emotionally.

As for additional feminization, do not count on it. I have not seen any, although my testosterone was already in a female range for a year beforehand due to leuprolide. IF your T is still over 50 before surgery, then it might help.
Accepted i was transgender December 2008
Started HRT Summer 2014
Name Change Winter 2017
Never underestimate the power of estradiol or the people who have it.
  •  

Anela

I could feel directly after surgery the testosterone leaving and woke up knowing I did the right thing.  I heal very fast being a Shaman and was walking the next day and only used pain killers the next day.  I had to walk because i had no money and had to beg for food and look through trash cans for leftovers. I was walking like I just road a horse into town.  Quit estrogens but talk to your surgion about what to do before surgery. My surgion said dont use pot a week before the surgery! LOL!!!!   ( I am not even sure saying that was ok but it is what he said)
I truely love you and wish you to feel it!
  •  

Floritine

Hi all,
Well last tuesday ( 15th March 2016 ) I had my bilateral orchietomy and it went well, I stayed in hospital over night and glade I did as I was in a bit of pain,
The nurses were great and they made sure I drank plenty of fluid and made me walk around along with given me the right pain releaf and went home the next day,
For the 1st week Ive only taken pain killers when needed and had plenty of rest cause when I stand and do lots of walking or going to the shop I get quit sore,
But one week after the left side is a little sore but the right side still has a bit of pain
But Im glade I finally got it done and off the horrible Spiro, wish I had it done years ago but finding the right Docs is a bit hard sometimes and then finding the right time as when to get it done.
But all up from the time I got the referal letters to Urological surgeon it took me one month to get the surgery done and thats in the public health system in Sydney NSW Australia, its amazing what a few words can make when the surgeon fills out the referall form for the public health system, and I also asked him if I could be kept in over night just to make sure every thing went well and reviewed by the docs before I went home in case something goes wrong after surgery..
And I stopped having spiro two days before the surgery so when I woke up after I didnt have the need to use the bathroom from all the fluid they gave me.......

Cheers Tracy
  •  

AnonyMs

If you're not seeing Dr Hayes in Sydney for HRT you might want to check him out. He does estrogen implants for HRT, and you don't need to stop them even for SRS. Its a really great form of HRT.
  •  

Floritine

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 22, 2016, 03:47:01 AM
If you're not seeing Dr Hayes in Sydney for HRT you might want to check him out. He does estrogen implants for HRT, and you don't need to stop them even for SRS. Its a really great form of HRT.
Ive been seeing Dr hayes for the past 10 years for my HRT regimens and to monitor my blood levels and he is a wonderfull doc and Ive only taken tablets as Im not a fan of implants,
It was my great GP that put me in contact with my Urological surgeon after a cyst Ive had for years started getting bigger and needed removal, so after the cyst was removed I started talking to him about having a bilateral orchiectomy and he told me the pros and cons of it and what would be done and how I can go about getting the surgery done...........
Cheers Tracy
  •  

AnonyMs

That's a bit surprising, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not liking implants before.
  •  

KayXo

I don't like implants either, LOL. Two reasons, I don't need another scar on my skin. Also, I find levels are too steady and this could potentially lead to desensitization.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Ella2Marques

Just had my two brothers removed 2 weeks ago. It is a new world. Love it. Still some pain, but I think I can manage.
I am a transgender woman, I have been this way all my life. I was filled with guilt at a very young age, a victim of a society that did not understand what it means to be free and yourself. I tried to adapt and flee from my real self by being a workaholic, eating, drinking and doing all in extremes.
Do we have to do the same now to transgender kids? Do they have to suffer all their lives? What about giving them a chance to live like normal people and be happy?
Help to protect transgender kids from bullies, transphobia and hate. Give them a chance.
Ella Marques
  •  

Lady Sarah

After I had mine removed, I was walking around the next day, without pain. Perhaps it depends on your surgeon, and your pain threshold.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Chris8080

Quote from: Floritine on March 22, 2016, 04:15:11 AMI started talking to him about having a bilateral orchiectomy and he told me the pros and cons of it and what would be done and how I can go about getting the surgery done........... Cheers Tracy

What did he list as the pros and cons?

I am scheduled for a pre-surgery Appointment on June 15th so haven't yet talked with the Urologist. I don't yet have a date for the surgery, should learn that in June. My biggest fear is that it will take as long to schedule surgery after the 15th as it did to get the initial appointment, nearly 3 months. A depressing thought.

After surgery pain seems to be rather varied with different people, I would like to hear from more people with their experience. Not that this would change anything, I cannot imagine that the healing time afterwards could be nearly as miserable as living with the evil twins.
  •  

R R H

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 22, 2016, 05:20:03 AM
That's a bit surprising, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not liking implants before.

They're pretty final compared to a daily dose and not everyone copes with that. When I injected, which I accept is not the same thing, I had wild fluctuations and increased side effects which made me feel pretty horrendous.

When I've been considering a return to testosterone (another story) my endo said he thought implants were not a good idea for the same reasons above.

But I expect for some people they are brilliant. We're all individuals (Cue, 'I'm not' :) ).
x
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 22, 2016, 05:20:03 AM

I don't like them - they don't work for me..

Having spent the money, I was more than a little annoyed to be back on my old regimen a month later because my E levels were in the toilet.

Quote from: R R H on April 24, 2017, 04:42:33 AM
They're pretty final compared to a daily dose and not everyone copes with that.

They are only final if they work - and digging mine out was easy, so I don't know how "final" they really are.
  •  

Floritine

Well its been just over a year since my orchi and I love it and couldnt be happier about it I just wish I found that surgeon a long time ago but I suppose it was ment to happen then.
No more tucking or shape wear to hide it I and just wear normal underwear and dont have to worry about the easter eggs at all,
It took about 6 months for the scare to heal completely and disapear,
As for the estrogen thing its comming up to 6 months since I tried the implant and at the moment Im happy with it it was a tiny incision and all Hayes did after was put a couple of Steri Strips over it and a larger patch that I removed about 10 days later and I cant notice where it was put in now,
I still HATE needles but at least I dont have to worry about taking the tablet 3 times a day or forgetting to take it or rushing to the chemist to grab them when I get low and Im coming to terms with the $200 fee for the inplant and at least I know where Hayes gets it made from a compoundist in Australia and also its another drug that doesnt go through my liver.......
I know when I did my 3 month test my blood levels were good and when I get my next blood test coming soon I'll see how its going ,
Im still up in the air when it comes to pill vs inplant but the next test will give me a idea.

Cheers Tracy
  •