Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

complications after SRS?

Started by molly, January 14, 2006, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

molly

It seems there a number of ladies who have completed SRS active in posting to Susan's.  I was wondering:  What type of complications, if any, are experienced resulting from the surgery?  Is the surgery common enough at this time that it is more "routine" than "cutting edge"?

Molly
  •  

Sheila

Molly, any surgery is not routine surgery. This is by no means routine and complications could arise. I would follow your doctors orders to the T and don't stray from them.
Sheila
  •  

Kimberly

An just as importantly make sure your chosen SRS Doctor is erm, how do we say it... a good human being? Not a two-faced money grubbing jerk?  Ok, that will work *wink*  Suffice it to say I'm just a little bit terrified of the subject these days...
  •  

DawnL

SRS has become a routine surgery with a predictable outcome.  As Sheila pointed out however, routine is a relative word here.  Heart bypass is also routine but I wouldn't want one.  There are problems that can arise as a direct result of surgery including nicking the colon and nerve damage.  Afterwards, sutures can break loose early, infection can occur, and some areas may not develop proper blood supply.  A great deal depends on the surgeon but perhaps an equal amount depends on patient care after surgery.  Trying to resume normal activity too soon or not taking proper care of the surgical site will lead to problems.  Dilation is a time consuming process but skipping on dilation could cause partial or total collapse of the neo-vagina which would surely be a terrible waste.  My understanding is that minor complications are common but usually resolve without permanent damage, and that in the hands of a good surgeon with proper aftercare, serious complications are rare.  Since my surgery is a little over a week away with Marci B, this is a subject I'm very concerned about.

Dawn
  •  

Sheila

Dawn, good for you. I have heard a lot about Marci and she has come a long way since I started looking for a surgeon. You will be fine just follow the drs. orders and take your medicine properly. You will be fine. Have fun in Colorado, don't ski too much. LOL
Sheila
  •  

molly

Going back and re-reading my original post I see that my actual wording doesn't capture my intention - my apologies.  When I used the word routine I meant that it seems that there have been enough SRS done that it appears safe to have it done with a competent/experienced surgeon.  Sheila I would never stray from a doctors advise and agree with you 100%.

What I was trying to ask (not very well) was what types of complications arise that people considering SRS should consider, be aware of, and ask their surgeon about.  I was looking for more first and second hand information.  As in most things in life what is published in theory is not necessarily what it is really like.

DawnL I wish you a safe and successful surgery - congradulations on reaching this milestone.  I appreciate your comments on this question's.

Kimberly your caution about the integrity of the doctor is good to keep in mind when searching for competent medical help.

Molly
  •  

Sheila

Molly, I had my surgery done in Thailand. I felt very good and was out of the bed in two or three days. I don't remember as it was about 2 years ago. After surgery the packing was uncomfortable and by the time they took it all out I felt relieved. The only part that hurt was the dr. pulling the catheter out. I didn't have any problems to speak of, the first time I urinated it kind of stung a little and it was hard to move a bowel as I didn't want to force anything with stitches and all. I was only in the hospital 5 days, but stayed in Bangkok for another week. My partner and I went off shopping, now I got really tired, could only shop for 4-5 hours and had to find places to sit down, soft places, everyonce in a while. You will have to wear a sanitary napkin, cause you will stll seep a little blood. I wore one for about 3 months. Even then I had a little spotting going on. The dilating hurt for the longest time. I don't know why anyone would have sex 3 months after surgery. Coming back from Thailand I should have went first class. I was very uncomfortable in the cheap seats and it was hard to get up and move around, trying to get out of the seat. I drank lots of water so it would keep my ureathra open. I have had no problems and very satisfied and very happy that I finally achieved something that I have always wanted.
Sheila
  •