Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

calorie counting - estrogen in seaweed?

Started by nemutai, February 16, 2016, 01:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemutai

hey! hope i'm posting this in the right board, haha. i'm not used to foruming, yet.  ???

i'm FtM, on testosterone (though i'm really bad at remembering to do injections every week, lol) and i've recently started calorie counting to get rid of some weight i gained after starting T. (i was sedentary for a few years, so i'm all fat and no muscle)

since i started dieting, i've found i really like sesame-seasoned seaweed and eat a few packs a day since they're only 10 calories (have 64 packs at home; shoutout to world market sales).
my mom brought up that seaweed (as well as tofu and sesame oil) are supposedly pretty high in estrogen and since i don't pass very well as it is, even the slightest difference matters and i currently can't afford to take any chances.

does anyone know if the amount of estrogen in seaweed/tofu/sesame is enough that i should avoid it, or if it's safe to eat without worrying about my hormone levels?

sorry if this made no sense, and thanks in advance!
  •  

Ms Grace

Hi

Welcome to Susan's :) Great to have you here - looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

I'd suggest your bigger concern should be remembering to take your injections. As for the seaweed, the level of phytoestrogens it contains is unlikely to do much against the injections but as with anything it is a case of eating it in moderation. Some forms of seaweed can have a nasty effect on the thyroid gland so I'd recommend watching your intake.

Please check out the following links for general site info...

Cheers

Grace
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

nemutai

thank you so much! i didn't know that about the thyroid gland; glad you told me. and i'll definitely try to keep better track of my injections from now on, thank you  :)
  •