Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Weight Loss & Stealth Transition

Started by Adchop, February 23, 2016, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adchop

I'm curious for some opinions on the best direction in my transition. I've done lots of research, & spoken with multiple people on this board. It seems the best route to go for a normal transition is to lose weight first, then start hrt, since losing weight while on hormones is more difficult.

I'm currently exercising, eating healthy, & losing weight. My big concern is that for a variety of reasons I'm looking to transition slowly on low dose over a longer period of time, & for that reason I would like to continue presenting as a man for an unknown amount of time.

Because I'm looking to present as a male for the long term, I'm concerned about losing a ton of weight, then putting it back on in a female pattern. I'm guessing that doing so will make me look more feminine a lot faster than I intend.

My question to all of you is do you think losing weight while on hrt will help me present as a man for a longer period of time? Breast growth can easily be passed off as gynecomastia if I have some fat on my body, but If I lose too much weight & then start hrt, the feminine curves will show much sooner than I'm comfortable with.

Thanks ladies!
  •  

Deborah

I didn't find losing weight on HRT difficult at all until my BMI got below around 24.  Then it got harder.  I'm not sure though if that's because of the HRT or because all the easy fat is gone and wha't left is all around the waist which is always hard to lose.

Breast fat will be less if you lose weight but in my experience, people are going to notice something is up anyway, particularly if you grow your hair long.

So it kind of depends if people asking questions is going to bother you as well as your work environment as a whole.

One of my friends asked me today how my transition is going and I'm not out at all.  I just laugh and play along with their game.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Adchop

Quote from: Deborah on February 23, 2016, 02:19:20 PM
I didn't find losing weight on HRT difficult at all until my BMI got below around 24.  Then it got harder.  I'm not sure though if that's because of the HRT or because all the easy fat is gone and wha't left is all around the waist which is always hard to lose.

Breast fat will be less if you lose weight but in my experience, people are going to notice something is up anyway, particularly if you grow your hair long.

So it kind of depends if people asking questions is going to bother you as well as your work environment as a whole.

One of my friends asked me today how my transition is going and I'm not out at all.  I just laugh and play along with their game.

Sapere Aude

I've had a low metabolism for years, which I believe is a by product of my naturally low T levels. So I'm not sure that losing weight on estrogen is going to be any more difficult than it already has been. I'm started a healthy diet of lean meats, fresh vetegables, & some fruit. I've cut all carb & sugar intake to a minimum, & I don't eat candy/sweets, or consume soda anymore.

As far as breast growth & male fail, I'm assuming that as long as my breast growth isn't more than normal, I will be able to pass for a while on a low dose regimen. I'm not currently planning to grow my hair all the way out, so that should help me to continue presenting as a man.

In terms of my work environment, I work in an elementary school, where roughly 90% of the employees are female. I'm not really too worried about any macho co-workers giving me trouble.
  •  

Adchop

Could anyone tell me if these 2 comments are true

"Adipose (fat) tissue distribution in the body slowly changes over months and years. The body will now tend to accumulate new adipose tissue (fat) in a typically female pattern. This includes the hips, thighs, rear, pubis, upper arms, and breasts. The body will now tend to use/burn the old adipose tissue in the waist making the waist appear smaller as well as on the shoulders and back"

"The hips will rotate slightly forward due to changes in the tendons so hip discomfort is not uncommon"

According to the first comment, I should expect hrt to deposite new fat in a more feminine pattern, while the fat that gets burned off first will come from my old male fat pattern areas. Is that true? Losing in male areas while gaining in female areas is my goal.

The second comment about the tendons changing and hip discomfort, has anyone experienced that on hrt?

Thanks!
  •  

Deborah

Nobody has actually given me any trouble because while the environment is "Macho" (all combat arms military and military retired) everyone acts professionally.  It's only a couple of my friends that like to joke around and that's in good nature.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Deborah

In my experience the first comment is true, although if you eat too much the stomach won't really go away.

I have not experienced any hip rotation.

Sapere Aude

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Lilian J

I lost 10kg over nearly 10 months before starting HRT in October 2015 and since then have lost 9kg in 5 months and am hoping to lose 10 more kilos by later this year.  I think the last 5 will be the hardest and to go lower I would have to waste a lot of muscle which will take time.

HRT has made it easier to stick to exercise routine and diet as I feel like I am on track towards something great so the motivation is always there.
  •  

Adchop

Quote from: lilijames on February 23, 2016, 03:14:29 PM
I lost 10kg over nearly 10 months before starting HRT in October 2015 and since then have lost 9kg in 5 months and am hoping to lose 10 more kilos by later this year.  I think the last 5 will be the hardest and to go lower I would have to waste a lot of muscle which will take time.

HRT has made it easier to stick to exercise routine and diet as I feel like I am on track towards something great so the motivation is always there.

That has definitely been the case for me as well. My motivation for exercising and eating right has been partly motivated by my desire to transition. When I saw myself as a man, I saw no motivation to slim my body down. Now I'm looking to get down to 180-200 like the woman in my picture Ashley Graham.
  •  

Cynobyte

If you want to loose weight during transition, look into hcg.  I'm on it and got my wife and a few friends on it.  Doesn't matter your hormones and you can loose weight fast or slow..  Good luck:)

Postcards from the other side:)

•  

kaitylynn

I went from 250 to 190 before starting HRT and have lost another 10 pounds since then.  I am not finding weight loss to be that hard since starting, but I have noted that the fat has changed a bit.  My yoga teacher started to notice my hips and breasts pretty quick...actually quicker than I did.  The fat started to "stick" there after a few months, even while I lost more weight.

I have talked with many sisters about getting the BMI into a range of about 2 to 21 and the answer is always the same...focus on eating healthy and then focus on trimming portions and the rest will come naturally.  HRT will cause a more feminine distribution from every instance that I have personally witnessed, including my personal experience.  Even low dose will cause changes, but they are ever so good changes! :D
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

StillAnonymous

I think losing weight is normal for both men and women.  I doubt anyone would inquire on it unless they wanted to lose weight too.  They would probably be asking for advice, and you could always tell them the truth (and not details nor the reason): You're eating healthier and exercising.  You want to be healthy, right?

I dropped from around 165 lbs, and now my weight lingers around 137 ± 2 lbs.  My height is around 5' 7", which sets my BMI around 21.5.  Nobody has asked, and I have even grown my hair out.  I feel like my progress has been very well despite weight lost and very small amounts of fat on my body.

•