Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

World Premiere: Orchestral music, dedicated to Leelah & all trans* children

Started by Halcyon, February 26, 2016, 01:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halcyon

Carnegie Mellon University School of Music

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieMellonMusic
There will be a webcast on this youtube channel:

YouTube/Wednesday, March 2nd at 8pm

Carnegie Mellon University School of Music
music.cmu.edu
If you can't find it there (idk how youtube livestreaming works) then music.cmu.edu will have it
Hello all,

I'm a composer of classical music. I have a premiere next week that may interest you.

Empyrean is the first orchestral work dedicated to transgender children. It's being performed by a world-class orchestra (alongside several premieres by my colleagues.)

The premiere concert is next Wednesday, March 2nd at 8pm (US Eastern). My piece is penultimate on the program.

If you can't find it there (idk how youtube livestreaming works) then music.cmu.edu will have it

My work praises Leelah's courage and evokes the tragedy of her story, while highlighting an optimistic vision for the future Leelah called upon the world to create. You may even hear moments that carry both great despair and exalted joy at the same time.

My hope is that this piece inspires audiences to envision taking pride in a willingness to become thoroughly educated on gender diversity and to be generous in giving their empathy.

I really hope you'll tune in! It's going to be a lovely evening, and chatting on the youtube livestream is encouraged. I'm streaming a post-concert talk afterward on my twitter @KaraH<nospam>alcyon via Meerkat where you can chat with me as well.

Please spread the word to friends, family, local LGBT resources, and anyone else you know who may be interested. Let's make the most of this auspicious occasion!

In good spirits,
KH
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Halcyon

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mariah .

Just a reminder that the concert is tonight ~ I've heard the rehearsals, and there's ample reason to be hyped!

The youtube linked above is probably the easiest way to tune in. I might Meerkat the dress rehearsal in a few hours for a sneak preview.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Halcyon

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 02, 2016, 11:53:07 AM
Today is the 2nd, not the 8th?  ???

It's today!

I can't edit the above post to correct (because it was moved) but that should say the 2nd, not the 8th.

Here is the official event page: http://music.cmu.edu/events/492

Thank you for noticing! Cheers
  •  

Devlyn

Actually, it wasn't the move, you can only edit posts for 24 hours after they're put on the forum.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Halcyon

For those who could not tune in live, here is a recording: https://soundcloud.com/karahalcyon/empyrean

Program note:

"I wrote this piece from the state of consciousness that we are constantly making the future better by remembering what the past was like. There can be so many different emotions present. In the story of Leelah Alcorn, one finds a tragic loss (symbolic of thousands of other children like her) which was suddenly given a voice because she, in particular, was heard - so loudly, in fact, as to top Twitter and reverberate around the world.

This piece seeks to evoke the future Leelah wished for, in which transgender people '...are treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights.' There are solemn qualities present, but the emphasis is on honoring Leelah's hope that she could improve the lives of children like her. I chose the title Empyrean because this is a serious work: transgender youth face far too much hardship and discrimination, resulting in very high murder and suicide rates, and I believe strongly in creating a culture of education and acceptance for gender diversity that could help save lives."

Hope you enjoy.
  •  

Deborah

Thank you for that.  Her death had a powerful effect on me in several ways.  The music brought back some of that sadness but at the same time evoked the question of "what if?"  What if it could have been different for her?  What if it can be different for others?

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Halcyon

Hello again,

I've uploaded the acclaimed world premiere of this piece, dedicated to Leelah Alcorn and to the futures of all trans children, as a Youtube video.

Simply posting here in the original thread for posterity, and so anyone who didn't hear it live can experience this piece of music.

Warm wishes,
KH
  •