Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Women's larger sized professional wear

Started by Asche, April 09, 2016, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

Inspired by the thread "Women's larger sized casual wear", I was wondering where one can get larger sized professional wear.

I'm planning to transition fully by the end of the year, and I'm going to need "professional" looking outfits in my size (typically 24-30 W.)  I'm thinking of what a female lawyer might wear to court -- skirt suit, blouse, pumps, etc.  Think Hillary Clinton in a skirt suit.

I've looked on line, but most of the professional wear is pants, unmatched skirts and jackets, or else trendy, sort of what secretaries or clerical staff might wear.  My ex (an attorney) used to have some really nice skirt suits for work which were basically in the style of men's suits you get at Brookes Brothers, but cut for a feminine figure and subtly more feminine, plus some classically feminine blouses.  I have no idea where to get something like that now, and in a larger size.

I'm in the USA.  If you know of brick-and-mortar stores near NYC that would be even better.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

OCAnne

'My Music, Much Money, Many Moons'
YTMV (Your Transsexualism May Vary)
  •  

JLT1

Hey,

I'm running 14-16-18.  I also need 1X sized blouses.  I've seen larger.

Try Macy's plus sized or Womans department.  I've gotten some very nice professional skirt/jacket/blouses there.  I know they go up to 24 as I have checked those sizes.  I have seen larger as well.  Go in, grab an associate and start looking.  The big Macy's also have personal shoppers to help and they ca, for a few dollars, really get you started well.

Another option would be Neiman Marcus.  We have an outlet close by that has sizes in the range you are looking for.  Prices can be a bit high but it really is quality stuff. 

Find a COACH outlet.  Get a great purse that has that label and march it with shoes.  Its an intimidation thing among women and it works..

Hugs

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

OCAnne

Why would a Coach bag intimidate anyone?  I'd be hard pressed to find matching shoes that fit me in this color.

EOM
  •  

jenifer356

Lane Bryant and its sister store Catherine's or Avenue are all in the NYC area

be well
jenifer
  •  

OCAnne

I'm confused does 'larger' not include taller?
Lane Bryant and such can't really help tall girls.  Big issue is where the waist hits.  Tall clothing gives one at least a coupe of inches of additional drop.

Kinda rare to find outfits for this 'big'? girl off the rack.
Thank you,
Anne
  •  

JLT1

Hi,

Another store is "Chicos" and some "Banana Republics."  It all depends on how you define "professional" and what you need to be to look professional.

I'm in Minneapolis/St Paul MN.  I'm a very senior scientist at a Fortune 100 company.  It's a conservative area.  What I wear depends on who I am working with for that day.  If I'm going to a meeting with a couple Exec. VPs, a few VPs and a tech director or two, I dress very conservative and I don't go for flashy things.  It's not considered appropriate in this area.  Same outfit would work in much of the east coast.  On the West Coast?  Not so much.

Look at women who you feel dress professionally doing the same job that you would be doing. Dress like they do but tone it down just a little from what they are wearing.  You are a woman but you would also be trans.  It's a little harder and people will be critical. 

You didn't say how tall you were.  Typically, bigger clothes also means taller clothes.  I have a tailor for somethings so that they will fit well. I don't do that for everything but I do have two special outfits.  If you are really tall, I like "Long Tall Sallys".  I get my pants/slacks from them as I have a 37" inseam.  I do not know the upper limit of their sizes.

As far as "Coach" and "intimidation"...  Maybe intimidation isn't quite what I was going after.  When a person works with people who make $10.00/hr and others who make $1500.00/hr, its hard to dress for everyone.  Coach is a brand that everyone knows and the $10.00/hr person dreams of it while the $1500.00/hr person at least doesn't look down on it.  The intimidation factor comes from looking good and knowing what one is doing.  It's just hard to look good to everyone at the same time. 

It's very possible to be respected as a transgendered woman in the professional world.  I have a friend of mine here in the cities who is also a lawyer.  Not an issue.

Good luck!

Hugs,

Jen

To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

melissa_h

Not a traditional store, but in building out a wardrobe I had good luck with GwynnieBee.  Definitely some misses along with the hits. You learn quickly which designers trend tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Asche on April 09, 2016, 09:03:45 AM
Inspired by the thread "Women's larger sized casual wear", I was wondering where one can get larger sized professional wear.

I'm planning to transition fully by the end of the year, and I'm going to need "professional" looking outfits in my size (typically 24-30 W.)  I'm thinking of what a female lawyer might wear to court -- skirt suit, blouse, pumps, etc.  Think Hillary Clinton in a skirt suit.

I've looked on line, but most of the professional wear is pants, unmatched skirts and jackets, or else trendy, sort of what secretaries or clerical staff might wear.  My ex (an attorney) used to have some really nice skirt suits for work which were basically in the style of men's suits you get at Brookes Brothers, but cut for a feminine figure and subtly more feminine, plus some classically feminine blouses.  I have no idea where to get something like that now, and in a larger size.

I'm in the USA.  If you know of brick-and-mortar stores near NYC that would be even better.
Look up jones New York. I think Macy's and lord and Taylor have it. Talbots may have stuff too. Jessica London is another.

Also http://www.moi-meme.com/shop-by-body-type/tall-womens-suits/
  •