Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Current Affairs Oklahoma is trying to impeach Obama for supporting trans right

Started by stephaniec, May 20, 2016, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Oklahoma is trying to impeach Obama for supporting trans rights

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/20/oklahoma-is-trying-to-impeach-obama-for-supporting-trans-rights/

Pink News/Nick Duffy   05/20/2016

"Oklahoma Republicans are attempting to impeach the President of the United States, because he believes transgender people should have equal rights.
The Obama administration has intervened on LGBT rights this month after a string of laws attempted to roll back LGBT discrimination protections, purportedly to stop trans people from going to the bathroom.
The federal government wrote to every school in the US to advise them that they are obliged not to discriminate against trans people."
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: stephaniec on May 20, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
"Oklahoma Republicans are attempting to impeach the President of the United States, because he believes transgender people should have equal rights.

Exclusive video of the Oklahoma legislature during the proceedings:

:icon_dance:
:icon_drunk: :icon_caffine: :icon_blahblah: :icon_rockon: :icon_poke: :icon_headfones: :icon_hover-alien: :icon_bored::icon_drunk: :icon_caffine: :icon_blahblah: :icon_rockon:
:icon_poke: :icon_headfones: :icon_hover-alien: :icon_bored::icon_drunk: :icon_caffine: :icon_blahblah: :icon_rockon: :icon_poke: :icon_headfones: :icon_hover-alien: :icon_bored:
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Colleen M

Well, on the bright side, we have a new gold standard for crazy.     
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

Deborah

Well it's finally happened.  Republicans have jumped the shark.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Colleen M

After thinking about it, Oklahoma has had a good week.  They criminalized abortion right before this one.  Their state legislature is exploring all sorts of different ideas. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Amy1988

Quote from: stephaniec on May 20, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
Oklahoma is trying to impeach Obama for supporting trans rights

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/20/oklahoma-is-trying-to-impeach-obama-for-supporting-trans-rights/

Pink News/Nick Duffy   05/20/2016

The Obama administration has intervened on LGBT rights this month after a string of laws attempted to roll back LGBT discrimination protections, purportedly to stop trans people from going to the bathroom.
The federal government wrote to every school in the US to advise them that they are obliged not to discriminate against trans people."

Can these people really be this stupid and run a state government?  A state can not impeach a president.  The only way people this stupid can get elected is if people just as stupid are voting for them so I guess that about sums it up for Oklahoma.
  •  

Colleen M

Quote from: Amy1988 on May 22, 2016, 12:22:16 PM
Can these people really be this stupid and run a state government?  A state can not impeach a president.  The only way people this stupid can get elected is if people just as stupid are voting for them so I guess that about sums it up for Oklahoma.

That was my initial reaction too, but they're actually at least clear on the process.  From the article: 

'The resolution – which is incredibly attracting support in the state, claims: "The members of the United States House of Representatives elected from this state are hereby requested to file articles of impeachment against the President of the United States, the Attorney General of the United States, the Secretary of Education and any other federal official liable to impeachment who has exceeded his or her constitutional authority with respect to the letter referenced in this resolution, based upon the grounds that the Constitution of the United States does not grant the executive branch of the federal government any authority whatsoever over the public education system, nor over the use of restrooms or other facilities thereof."'

As I understand it, the House functions basically like a grand jury, while the Senate provides the jury.  They appear to be fulfilling the forms, however bizarre their motives.   

And the one piece of good news from there recently is that the Oklahoma governor vetoed the criminalizing abortion bill.  So of course the legislature promptly started up another stupid transgender bathroom bill. 
  •  

roseyfox

We are taught we are a free nation. We are told we are all equal. But everyday i am told we are less. That we are nothing to the whole. If by color,gender, or attraction to what sex could make you less of a person. People who are conservative in nature don't look at me or other minority as people, but as animals. They do not see us as friend and neighbors, but as enemy's and invaders.
I can not understand, why we give them so much passion for hate. How do we fuel them to attack us without right. They say we want to destroy the nation, but we just want to be equal. Nothing comes without a fight, I wonder why we can't just sit and talk about rights.
I rather not
  •  

Eva Marie

Quote from: roseyfox on May 24, 2016, 01:43:38 AM
I can not understand, why we give them so much passion for hate. How do we fuel them to attack us without right. They say we want to destroy the nation, but we just want to be equal. Nothing comes without a fight, I wonder why we can't just sit and talk about rights.

Its caused by fear and rejection of the unknown mixed with strongly held beliefs/willful ignorance/an unwillingness to be educated/the "common sense says" argument. Politicians and organizations then use people like this as pawns to achieve their own objectives.

To leverage this fear/ignorance certain horrific untruths are widely spread about us to foster hate and disgust ("pedophiles", "perverts", etc.). The willingness of people to believe these untruths is then leveraged by unscrupulous politicians and organizations with an anti-LGBT agenda to get votes and to further their agenda. The fact that we are a tiny percentage of the US population means that it's hard for us to organize and resist them, making us an even more attractive target. Bullies love to bully people that can't fight back.

It's a perfect storm of people willing to hate us and of people taking advantage of that hate to promote their own interests.

This is why I think that laws must be passed at the federal level to stop this - it is a perfect example of why you don't let the majority vote on the civil rights of a minority.

Action at the federal level works - you can bet that other states have noticed the legislation passed by North Carolina and that politicians in these states are considering the same exact legislation for their state - the only thing that may be holding them back is the threat of a lawsuit and the potential for losing federal dollars due to title IX.
  •