Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Monash Clinic and change of practice.

Started by Alexx86, May 23, 2016, 03:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexx86

I have been wondering whether or not the Monash Gender Clinic (or whatever they call it now), has finally changed the way in which they treat Trans and Gender Diverse folk since the change of the Mental Health Act 2014. From what I remember reading the changes to the act meant that it would be no longer allowed to diagnose somebody with a mental illness on grounds of their gender identity.

Does that mean that they need to follow an informed consent model and on track with WPATH Standards of Care or are the still using the outdated and harmful methodology?
  •  

Cindy

Monash uses informed consent and follows SOC 7 as far as mental assessment guidelines are concerned, there is no diagnosis of a mental health disorder and there hasn't been ever since it was removed from DSM.

There has been a lot of historical issues among some members of the community in Victoria and Monash.

I am not going to have them dragged out on this site.

Monash has now received some $6mill in funding for an adult comprehensive gender unit in the last Vic Budget.

To be honest with the funding that RMCH gender unit receive and that of Monash, Victoria is in a very good place for transmedicine services. At least compared to the rest of Australia.
  •  

AnonyMs

Regardless of any other issues, I understand that Monash prescribes Microgynon for HRT, which is a contraceptive pill containing Ethinyl Estradiol. You can read about it here

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Ethinylestradiol
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: AnonyMs on May 23, 2016, 07:25:44 AM
Regardless of any other issues, I understand that Monash prescribes Microgynon for HRT, which is a contraceptive pill containing Ethinyl Estradiol. You can read about it here

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Ethinylestradiol

The Monash endo suggested microgynon when I first went there, I'd been on premarin & progesterone for many years and it was not on pbs anymore.

Anyway they don't force you to take anything, I never got a single script through Monash.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Serenation on May 24, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
The Monash endo suggested microgynon when I first went there, I'd been on premarin & progesterone for many years and it was not on pbs anymore.

Anyway they don't force you to take anything, I never got a single script through Monash.

There's at least some people getting microgynon though Monash.
  •  

rickkie

Wondering about other options in Melbourne? Anybody have any advice on GP's etc?
Rickkie
Fulltime since Oct 16
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: rickkie on September 23, 2016, 12:12:13 AM
Wondering about other options in Melbourne? Anybody have any advice on GP's etc?

For HRT? Prahran Market Clinic or the Northside Clinic..

For general health stuff, I've found any random GP to be just fine.
  •  

judithlynn

Hi Rikkie;
I suggest  Sven Strecker at the Prahran Market Clinic in Prahran Central. He is a darling.
Highly recommended.
Best
Judith
:-*
Hugs

•  

Alexx86

Quote from: judithlynn on September 23, 2016, 03:04:00 AM
Hi Rikkie;
I suggest  Sven Strecker at the Prahran Market Clinic in Prahran Central. He is a darling.
Highly recommended.
Best
Judith

As long as you don't have chronic health issues he is fine, otherwise don't bother with him and go to Equinox Clinic.
  •