Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

a benign suggestion for news

Started by stephaniec, May 30, 2016, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

This is just a benign suggestion not meant for criticism , but  a very  benign suggestion for enlarging the news pool of information. for global consumption. Given the fact that this web page enters as far as I know most if not all parts of the globe, I feel it would be a benefit for those who do not normally get general information about other countries to be able to receive news of general interest. This site is devoted exclusively to LGBTQ...news and articles , but I think for the general interest area there should be a little general interest news and articles. This is in no way a critique of the news section nor this web site nor is it meant to take issue with anyone on this site. This is purely a respectful suggestion.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: stephaniec on May 30, 2016, 11:49:27 AM
This is just a benign suggestion not meant for criticism , but  a very  benign suggestion for enlarging the news pool of information. for global consumption. Given the fact that this web page enters as far as I know most if not all parts of the globe, I feel it would be a benefit for those who do not normally get general information about other countries to be able to receive news of general interest. This site is devoted exclusively to LGBTQ...news and articles , but I think for the general interest area there should be a little general interest news and articles. This is in no way a critique of the news section nor this web site nor is it meant to take issue with anyone on this site. This is purely a respectful suggestion.

I'm concerned that would open the floodgates to all sorts of stories that distract our attention from the true purpose of the site (which is transgender support). Those with access to Susan's place also have access to thousands of other news aggregating sites.

It is beyond the scope of the news area and our limited staff to cover the entire world and all the news in it. That being said, I would take a very expansive view toward major stories (presidential election results, coup d'etats, natural disasters, war, peace, etc.) when deciding whether they belong on our site.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

veritatemfurto

Quote from: suzifrommd on May 30, 2016, 07:03:10 PM
I'm concerned that would open the floodgates to all sorts of stories that distract our attention from the true purpose of the site (which is transgender support). Those with access to Susan's place also have access to thousands of other news aggregating sites.

It is beyond the scope of the news area and our limited staff to cover the entire world and all the news in it. That being said, I would take a very expansive view toward major stories (presidential election results, coup d'etats, natural disasters, war, peace, etc.) when deciding whether they belong on our site.

As a member of your audience, I have to agree with Suzi. The bulk of patrons reside in the forums section. The staff is already quite busy enough in those areas. Turning the news section into a full blown Gazette would require much more staff that I assume is already an all volunteer corps, and not many people are able to keep volunteering due to the need to pay the bills as is. I'm already worried enough with the trend in lack of donations for the past couple months leading to necessary cutbacks to preserve the wealth of knowledge that is in the forums.

Stephanie, it's obvious that you are passionate about doing this kind of work- but after four threads and a couple PMs about it just this week, it may not be coming across as intended anymore, and the tension from it is getting noticeable. So maybe taking a step back to evaluate an alternative way of doing so would be satisfactory for all. For instance, instead of trying to change the rules here, maybe start your own >-bleeped-< and link it to here via your footer for each post? That way you can post and do op-eds on whatever article you want to share without anyone huffing and puffing on whether or not it is relevant to post.

Sorry to butt in, but I don't like seeing any member get booted or driven off of sites when there are alternatives to prevent it and make everyone satisfied if they'd just take a breather for a few and look at the bigger picture. I've lost enough jobs by not doing that.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

Ms Grace

I'd rather see just trans, gender and/or LGBTIQ related news.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Tysilio

Grace, I agree. While I'm generally in favor of anything which would increase people's awareness of world events, I don't think that's the mission of this site.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

stephaniec

Sorry , I didn't mean harm to anyone , I'll just fade away.
  •