Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Time off sick following SRS

Started by Gilly, January 21, 2006, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilly

I'm planning on surgery in October-ish & hopefully will be scheduling within the next week, given the recovery time and the vigorous dilation routine I'm going to tell work that I'll be off for at least three months, and will return on a part time basis depending on how I feel on the fourth month, My question is – is this a reasonable time scale for returning to work?
Thanks Gillian xx
  •  

DawnL

I'm returning to work for very light duty after two weeks and have a lighter schedule for 2-3 months.  The average return to work time seems to be 3-6 weeks depending on the type of work involved.  I have more flexibility because I am self-employed.  You won't be able to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks.

Dawn

•  

Leigh

Quote from: DawnL on January 21, 2006, 07:45:04 AM
You won't be able to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks.

10 pounds for 6 weeks?  This is the shopping center next to the hospital.  On the second floor there is a bowling alley.  I was there bowling with the nurses on the 17th day after surgery.  I couldn't break a 100 when my ABC average was 179 at that time was embarassing.  Heck the nurses are so tiny they barely outweighed the bowling balls they were using.

Leigh

•  

stephanie_craxford

That shopping centre looks like a neat place Leigh.  Bowling after two weeks - you're a crazy lady :)

I guess with any surgery recovery time varies from person to person, how old they are and of course, their general state of health, it all would have a bearing on it.  How about the other post-op's... what was your recovery time?

Steph
  •  

DawnL

Quote from: Leigh on January 21, 2006, 01:48:44 PM
10 pounds for 6 weeks?  I was there bowling with the nurses on the 17th day after surgery.  I couldn't break a 100 when my ABC average was 179 at that time was embarassing. 

Hmm...why doesn't this surprise me  :)

I was talking about weight restrictions for the *average* woman  ;D

Dawn
  •  

Sheila

I was out of the hospital after 5 days and the next day was shopping the malls in Bangkok. I was a little sore and I sat down an awful lot, but found some good bargains. Had to leave some things we brought to fill our suitcase. After 5 weeks I got a job as bus driver and had to do the physical. I took it real gently and told the physician that if I couldn't do it right now I would wait and he agreed. I did it and it was a piece of cake, except the giving of the urine. First time to do that as a woman. Very strange indeed. I don't think you need to take off 3 months, but I guess you would if you have a physical job of sorts. The dialating is the easy part, a little sore at first but you get use to it.
Sheila
  •  

LostInTime

I have talked to those who had to take 12 weeks off and some who took all of 3 weeks off.  I think it really depends on how well you heal, mentally adapt, how physically fit, how long under the blade, and the type of work.  Sooo many variables.  If I am ever fortunate enough to have SRS I plan on six weeks.

YMMV
  •