Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

News is bad for you...

Started by 2cherry, June 18, 2016, 06:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cherry

...and giving up reading it will make you happier.

Here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

QuoteNews is toxic to your body. It constantly triggers the limbic system. Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation

I think it's true. We as humans are not equipped to deal this massive current of (useless) information.

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Ms Grace

Yep, I figured that out a long time ago. These days I might listen to a few radio bulletins and read the online newspaper but that's about it. I found watching the TV news, especially when something bad was going on, just made me depressed and anxious. TV news in particular focuses way too much on conflict and negativity. I might watch the TV news if something special and/or amazing is going on but that's about it.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Peep

But if we don't pay attention to current events it's hard to stop negative changes (like certain proposed laws) before they come... News does stress me out, especially when it's things we can't really change, but we do also have the social responsibility to be aware in case we can do something. For example natural disasters, if everyone's in their bubble, they're not going to be donating to food and aid charities because they don't even know there's a need...

Maybe what's needed is just better journalism and less scaremongering and sensationalism but that's never going to happen eh
  •  

RobynD

It definitely is a balance between taking in too much and being oblivious to where we can help etc. I try to purposely seek out positive stories and literature in general to counteract the negative information i take in.

•  

Mariah

I couldn't agree more. It's why I don't read, watch, or even listen to the news anymore. It's to my benefit that my SRS will be right around the time of the election in this country. I will totally utterly be to out of it to pay attention to it or any other news going on at the time. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

stephaniec

want to be put to sleep in a hurry, just watch the infinitely repettive  CNN, which is quite mind boggling given we live on a rock floating through space with billions of people doing billions of things each day.
  •