Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Don't feel comfortable wearing black anymore...

Started by 2cherry, July 02, 2016, 12:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cherry

It has been a while since I wore something black, like a black sweater or top. Today, I wore a black sweater and felt so incredibly uncomfortable in it. It's said that black is slimming, but I feel huge in it... I don't know, but I really lost my preference for black. Before I transitioned, I always wore black. But now... I can't get used to it anymore, maybe it reminds me of who I was before... anyway, black is powerful, and it makes me feel less feminine. I've read some article about it, and it seems it also has something to do with psychology: Why women should stop wearing black to work

Quote(...)black is not an overly friendly colour.

It doesn't channel energy and vibrancy; it doesn't attract. Black can feel intimidating if it's worn alone. A person who constantly wears black can create a serious or sombre aura, perhaps keeping colleagues at bay. Having said that, it really depends on the energy and personality of the wearer. Many designers and artists choose to wear black as it channels sophistication and no pretences. (...)

I never gave it much thought... but the colors of clothing really affects my mood, and confidence.

What do you think?

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Ashey

I think this is a load of bull>-bleeped-<. Are you saying women should be bright, friendly, attractive, and weak all the time or they diminish their femininity? Because it sure sounds like it... and that's soooo wrong it hurts...
  •  

RobynD

Yeah i'm with Ashley - I think black is just black. In some instances it looks sophisticated, whereas wearing black to the beach might not be the best choice. (although there plenty of black swim suits).

To me femininity has never been "weak " to me but about incredible strength and standing up against the world

Now colors do invoke emotions in people, and if that one invokes negative emotion, then by all means purge it from your fashion choices.

•  

JenSCDC

Quote from: 2cherry on July 02, 2016, 12:14:31 PM
I've read some article about it, and it seems it also has something to do with psychology: Why women should stop wearing black to work

I'm still pretransition so I'm not exactly on expert on women's choices in workplace clothing, but I think the woman in that article is overthinking why women choose black so much. My guess is that it's for simplicity, paring down the number of choices one needs to make, plus the fact that it goes with anything.
  •  

sparrow

Black makes me look sickly pale, so I always shy away from it.  It's really a challenge to fill a wardrobe with compatible pieces across a large palette, but I do it pretty well.  About a third of the time, I'm in browns&greens, another third I wear blues and whites, and I get a lots of mileage out of purples and oranges.  I only have one or two black pieces, and I try to avoid them.
  •  

IdontEven

I haven't worn actual black in forever. I can't help but think "emo teenager", which I've already got enough of that in my personality, so when it comes to clothing I generally go no darker than gray :p
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
  •  

KarynMcD

•  

barbie

Black is popular among girls here, including me.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

V

I must admit I wear black most days for work. As I have really terrible legs I almost always wear trousers/slacks to work, and they are always black or dark grey. There are plenty of other women where I work who wear black too. I don't often wear black tops though, and when I do, I make sure that my trousers/jeans aren't black on those occasions.
I'm usually doing something that gets me dirty, be it at home or at work, so black or grey is generally the colour of choice for me.
I will say, clothing colours are very important to me, and if I want to lift my mood I'll wear something bright, even if I team it with black.
I'll try to avoid pale pastel or beige tones though, as I feel they make me look old.
  •  

sparrow

•  

Lyric

For several years I have been doing online searches of street fashions of the celebrities that most influence fashion in the US. Without question the most commonly worn color is black. In fact, I long ago realized that the base rule for dressing a high fashion person is to wear black and/or white. You literally cannot go wrong with color choice if you wear black or white.

Celebrities do wear other colors, of course, but they are the carefully chosen accent colors. The base colors are always black or white with frequent use of denim blue or heather gray. Indeed the most obvious difference between your average Wal-Mart shopper and the monied/infamed/jet set is the that the later wear black much more often.

Red or yellow will convey a sense of being warm and approachable, but if you want to look like a glamorous celebrity you'll hold onto that black turtleneck.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

OCAnne

When you are as tall as me it's black, black and more black...and some burgundy here and there.  :P
'My Music, Much Money, Many Moons'
YTMV (Your Transsexualism May Vary)
  •  

SophiaBleu

There's black. Then there's grey.  That's all. ;D
Seriously, I love black, and even though it is hot as all get out where I live, it's still black!
They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.
              Gerald Massey

•  

Jacqueline

Quote from: JenSCDC on July 02, 2016, 03:39:39 PM
I'm still pretransition so I'm not exactly on expert on women's choices in workplace clothing, but I think the woman in that article is overthinking why women choose black so much. My guess is that it's for simplicity, paring down the number of choices one needs to make, plus the fact that it goes with anything.

So sorry to interrupt this thread. However we have to welcome Jen to the site. Great to see you jumping right in.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna

Back to your regularly scheduled Haute Couture or Pret a Porter (which ever works for you).
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

barbie

Quote from: Lyric on July 13, 2016, 11:07:22 AM
For several years I have been doing online searches of street fashions of the celebrities that most influence fashion in the US. Without question the most commonly worn color is black. In fact, I long ago realized that the base rule for dressing a high fashion person is to wear black and/or white. You literally cannot go wrong with color choice if you wear black or white.

Yes. Black is for celebrity or specialty here too. Black dress means elegance. A problem here was once too many people wore black or dark clothes. As traffic accident rate at night is high here, bright colors should be preferred. Nowadays, even pink formal dresses are popular among young men.

In my case, I do not need to wash my black dress so frequently (I am a slovenly person).

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: OCAnne on July 13, 2016, 01:25:18 PM

Where is it? Yes. Black makes you look grace. And you should be thankful to the photographer as it is very difficult to get a bright photo in that kind of building.

That photo reminds me of this photo which my son took for me at the first day of our travel last summer to Kyoto, Japan, with my little daughter, too. It became too dark, but anyway.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: barbie on July 14, 2016, 10:52:30 AM
That photo reminds me of this photo which my son took for me at the first day of our travel last summer to Kyoto, Japan, with my little daughter, too. It became too dark, but anyway.

Speaking of black... I love your hair the length you had it last year, Barbie. It looks fine shorter now, but I'm hoping if I compliment you enough you'll grow it longer again. :)
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Lyric on July 16, 2016, 09:06:53 PM
Speaking of black... I love your hair the length you had it last year, Barbie. It looks fine shorter now, but I'm hoping if I compliment you enough you'll grow it longer again. :)

Thanks, Lyric!

I am also thinking about it. The problem is that my hair is not at good condition, but I will try to keep it.

Yesterday my old friends visited here and I drank a lot until midnight at my home.

Black seems too classical for this kind of casual merrymaking.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •