Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When is too late

Started by sailorscout4761, August 10, 2016, 09:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorscout4761

Hello everyone, I just found this site this morning and, this being my very post, just want to say that I'm very happy to be here. I'm very torn and am seeking any input. I believe that I am trans. Ive spent a lot of my life trying to deny myself and adapt to being"who I was". That is to say, the boy I was born as. It's hard to say"I know I am this or am that" because the "me" of my mind's eye is gender neutral. I can say how I've always longed. To be able to be free, to not feel like I had something to hide. I can also say, now that I have finally had the opportunity to experiment, how it makes me feel. Happy, free, excited, beautiful, to name but a few. Probably the strongest is regret. Regret that it has to end, and in the morning I'll have to go back into hiding. I'm conflicted, I'm not a boy, I'm not a girl, I just know that that's the way I like to see myself in the mirror, and that's how I want to be percieved. I have a desire to undergo hrt and transition to make that dream a reality. Obviously, it's also very scary to consider as a real potentiality, considering ramifications from family etc. Also, I'm 26, 27 in November. So I guess I'm asking you: is it too late? Should I take the easy route, bite the bullet, meet expectations forever? Or is there still time to be happy?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

•  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. We have members on the site who are over twice your age and though I came out at 23, I wasn't able to get HRT until I was 26. I would say it's far from being to late and it may be the ideal time for you to start. As for what you feel, You may be a part of the non binary. The non binary is defined as being neither male or female but somewhere in between. We have a section of the site for the non binary that you may want to visit. As you seem to be pretty new to this, I am going to give you two links. The first is our WIKI where you may find the term that defines what you feel. The second is "the transition channel" which is a bit more aimed at transsexuals. Feel free to post any questions you have for me on this thread.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

sailorscout4761

Thank you for your response and encouragement. I'm chugging through the wiki and it is proving to be very enlightening. As some one who is completely new, I have a few more questions. This is a matter that I have turned over in my mind for years privately. Currently, I have only expressed myself at home with my partner and it is in those experiences that I've come to believe that my desires are legitimate and not simply a quirk or fetish. If I were to speak with a therapist about hrt, I'd like to be as prepared as possible. While researching and considering that next step, I'd like to explore and reaffirm as much as possible. The next step, I assume would be to present myself to the world. However, the idea of not passing is absolutely terrifying, which seems almost like a certainty considering my voice and lack of experience. Do you have any suggestions as far as first steps, types of places to go and ways to practice?

•  

Jacqueline

sailorscout,

I would suggest getting to a therapist first. Working through your thoughts, logic, emotions and impulses with them. That would be one place to start trying to express. Doesn't have to be the first visit if you are not ready. Then, although it might be intimidating, you might try a local support group. Lastly, see if you can set an appointment at a large department store for help with make up and/or style. They often have run across our community before.

That's really just my first couple of thoughts. I am sure there are more. Your mileage will obviously vary.

Oh, and I am not quite double your age. However, I only really started a year ago. Many say it is never too late to try to obtain your real self.

I wish you love, acceptance and a smooth journey.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Jocee

Quote from: Joanna50 on August 11, 2016, 01:45:59 PM
sailorscout,

I would suggest getting to a therapist first.

Great place to start..... and like Joanna I'm double your age (*cough*) and I'm still working it out. One thing I can say is if I knew then what I now know, I certainly would have found someone to talk about it in a professional and knowledgeable manner. Not sure of your healthcare or money situation, but it is well worth the sacrifice.
  •  

Anne Blake

Greetings Sailorscout,

First off, welcome to Susan's Place and congratulations for finding the courage to explore your scary yet terrifyingly exciting new experiences.

Too late, not at all. I began this exploration a year and a half ago when I was only 67 years old. It would have been a lot different had I begun at the age of you kids (lol) but I have also enjoyed putting in all of the miles that the extra years have provided and yet am very happy with finding Anne when I did. No regrets.

Where to start: For Anne, it has been developing both the inside as well as the outside. She literally did not exist prior to the beginning of last year.

For the inside, Joanna suggested a therapist and a local support group. This is where I started and it has really helped. Susan's Place is a great source of information, life stories, advice, support and encouragement and it has helped me out a lot. But I can not stress enough how important it is to have a local group of folks to share your new adventures with.

My therapist did not act as a gate keeper. She met with both my wife and me to make sure that we were aware of the significance and difficulties of the road ahead. She got the right questions asked and made sure that our answers were real enough for us to be comfortable continuing the path. She was also a good source of contact for key resources including an OBGYN that had a lot of experience with tg & hrt.

Finding a good support group has been extremely beneficial to me. I found a group in a local college community with both a wide range of ages as well as a diverse mix of LGBTQ experience. Some killed the look while other just killed the look. The diversity of the group is amazing and some of their stories continue to have me way out of my comfort zone. But, they all have stories, struggles fears and joys, the sum of which has helped Anne continue to grow.

You also mention a partner that you have been open with. My wife is my best friend in both my guy and gal mode. I can truthfully state that without her Anne would not exist.

There is one more key resource/support provider for me. Jesus has been crucial in Anne's development. I will neither preach nor evangelize here but I must say that trusting in Him to keep me on His path has given me the confidence to live this amazing life.

Now on to the outside of Anne. My wife has been instrumental in helping me develop my own style, both in wardrobe and makeup. She did my makeup until I learned enough to take it over myself. Joanna suggested a larger department store makeup counter and I think that is a great idea. I got my first make-over at Sephora's, it was a little smaller and I could handle the exposure there better, but each to their own. I needed help in the hair department. Some friends suggested a couple of tg friendly wig shops and they both have helped me out. Coming out to them was still nerve wracking but well worth it. They were baby steps that provided both resources and confidence. Shopping was tough in the beginning, thrift stores or buying stuff at the mall in guy mode and then returning the stuff that didn't work. It was an amazing baby step when I first risked shopping as Anne (actually my wife made me do it, kicking and screaming). The first trip had Payless for shoes, Dress Barn and then Panera's for a bite to eat. This was my first time out and only my second time fully dressed and made up, talk about terrifying! I have been out shopping and playing many many times since and I can truthfully say I have never experienced any of the derision or rejection that my fears had me anticipating. I still occasionally get an unintentional gender pronoun error but have never been subjected to intentional ridicule. I may have a blessed life in this regard but it seems to be a common thread in most of my tg friends experiences also.

The next needed step for us was find out who Anne is. We began coming up with all sorts of low risk high reward baby step experiences. I have been surprised to find out how different Anne's interests are compared to my old mode. Low risk baby steps have included coffee shops and cafes, book shops, shopping trips (I love Maurices) and even the art museum. All of these have been great low risk confidence builders and the shopping is becoming addictive.

When we first started this journey we built a list of boundaries to keep us from falling off of the deep end, you probably know the sort of stuff; totally secret, just role playing sort of stuff, no body changes, etc.. Well, laser has come and gone, electrolysis has been going on for a while, hair replacement is in the works when the money is found. We have come out to a small group of close friends, our pastor and our youngest son. Not all of that has gone without cost. We still have some boundaries, the principal of which is that my wife needs to keep a part of the man she married and this I commit to without hesitation for she is the most important part of my life. Hrt began 7 weeks ago. Before Anne, I was a strong, caring, analytical man with both passion and an intense sense of curiosity/whimsy. The hrt has added a level of compassion and empathy beyond belief. And lets not even begin on the emotions. I have probably shed more tears in the last month than in the last half of a century! The emotions have been both joyful and painful and that said I highly recommend you notch down your take from this response a ways.

My path has been great so far and I really hope that you will be able tell a similar story as your path grows. Please keep us up on your progress through your amazing journey.

Anne
  •  

Dena

Very few of us pass 100% because if nothing else, somebody who is transgender might spot us. I have been spotted a number of times over the years and for many people it's just not important. They let you go on about your business without even a comment. I have seen all the headlines on the site but most of the time the real world is nothing like that. I have never been physically or verbally attacked in all of the years I have been living as a woman. To become comfortable, you should start with places you are comfortable. My first trips outside the house were to my therapist office. Some people find shopping, coffee or food with others comfortable. After you are in public a few hours you will start to become relaxed in public and you will start to wonder what you were worried about.

As for voice, a therapist, the internet, our voice forum and I am even willing to help over Skype. If you have a formal singing background, much of what you need to know is already in place and it's just a case of applying it. There is voice surgery but it only raises the pitch and you most likely will still need speech therapy to learn the rest.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

sailorscout4761

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and support, I suppose I'll be researching and contacting a therapist very soon.  Again, I can't express how heartening it is so hear your stories and receive your encouragement. I'll be sure to fill you in with any updates as my journey develops further

•  

Laura_Squirrel

I wouldn't worry about the age thing. I began my transition when I was 29. It's been ten years and even though there have been some bumps in the road from time to time. It's been okay. Don't worry about when things start. The fact that you get the ball rolling is enough for the moment.
  •  

Sinclair

Quote from: Dena on August 11, 2016, 05:19:27 PM
Very few of us pass 100% because if nothing else, somebody who is transgender might spot us. I have been spotted a number of times over the years and for many people it's just not important. They let you go on about your business without even a comment. I have seen all the headlines on the site but most of the time the real world is nothing like that. I have never been physically or verbally attacked in all of the years I have been living as a woman. To become comfortable, you should start with places you are comfortable. My first trips outside the house were to my therapist office. Some people find shopping, coffee or food with others comfortable. After you are in public a few hours you will start to become relaxed in public and you will start to wonder what you were worried about.

As for voice, a therapist, the internet, our voice forum and I am even willing to help over Skype. If you have a formal singing background, much of what you need to know is already in place and it's just a case of applying it. There is voice surgery but it only raises the pitch and you most likely will still need speech therapy to learn the rest.

Nice post. I found that once I became comfortable in my own skin, the rest of the world was rather "whatever." It's so empowering to be yourself in public and be confident in how you look and project yourself. The first time a store clerk called me ma'am was one of my best days ever. :)
  •