Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Tummy Tuck

Started by Megan., September 27, 2016, 02:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Ok, so I was 304lbs at my biggest, now down to 175lbs, yay me. Sadly I've been left with quite alot of loose skin. Today I had 11-Nov confirmed for a full 'inverted-T' abdominoplasty. I've been working toward this for over 2 years now, but getting a date has made it suddenly seem very real. I'll try to keep this thread updated with my experience and recovery for those who may need to go through a similar experience.
  •  

Michelle_P

Wow!  That's so neat.  You'll be all tidied up there.  I dropped from 215 to 136, and have a bit of spare skin there, but it's no big deal.  I've seen others with your great weight loss (Congratulations!, It ain't easy, but you knew that.). Getting that much excess gone is certainly a big deal.

Thanks for sharing the news, and congratulations again!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Megan.

Thanks Michelle, an amazing change from you too. 140lbs is my ideal target after HRT has helped me shift some muscle.
  •  

Dani

I dropped over 100 pounds and I too am looking for a tummy tuck.

This is common with extreme weight loss.
  •  

Megan.

I'll plan to post some before images, and some after shots and info on my recovery over the next few weeks and months.
  •  

Brooke

Yeah. Considering a tummy tuck also. In the past 18 months I have dropped about 95 pounds (245 at my heaviest 151 today). Seems like no matter what I do to try and tighten the tummy, it's just flappy. :-(

Anyone know if the skin will ever be taught again? Biggest problem is that shirts that should be the right size don't fit due to a muffin top that is mostly skin.

I was at the higher weight for prolly 2 years or so. Not a lifetime but not just a few months either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Megan.

The skin can recover quite a bit, but I think if it's still loose 6 months after your weight has his it's new level then it won't recover any more.
  •  

Megan.

So I'm in my gown ready to into the operation later this afternoon, bit nervous. I took some pictures yesterday which I'll post with some follow up ones when I'm back home.
  •  

Megan.

Was in surgery for about 5 hours, and just spent the rest of the night dozing. Not in too much pain, but haven't tried moving yet.
  •  

Michelle_P

Sleep is good! Let it heal.

I'm so glad you made it OK.

Gentle hugs!
- Michelle

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Megan.

Thanks Michelle, I'm shuffling about my hospital room now, and I can go home this afternoon 😊. I'll try to get some pictures up soon, for those who aren't too screamish!
  •  

Megan.

OK here are some pictures, a couple before and a couple taken in the last few days back from the hospital. Mods please remove if these break TOS, I hope they're OK.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/megan_james7/slideshow/Tummy%20Tuck

I'm not going to leave these up forever, but always happy to share in future if someone wants to PM me.

Recovery is continuing well. I changed the dressings today without issue. Mobility is continuing to improve, and pain has been very manageable. At the hospital they gave me a mix of codeine and paracetamol. They sent me home with more codeine, but I've not had to use it, using only paracetamol and ibuprofen and I'm keeping those to a minimum. My Dad drove me home from the hospital and stayed one night, but I've been fine looking after myself since he went home.

I'll add further pictures and update this topic once the dressings are off.

I'm happy to answer any questions about my procedure for those considering the same.

Megan. X

•  

Michelle_P

Wow!  Megan, that looks like a great result.  That has got to make you feel good!  (Well, as long as it doesn't hurt, but the discomfort is temporary, the flat tummy is there to stay!)

Congratulations, again!

•  

Megan.

Thanks Michelle. No running for 6 weeks is going to be hard, and I've got to be very strict on my calorie intake, generally and certainly until I can be more physical again.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: meganjames2 on November 16, 2016, 10:40:24 AM
Thanks Michelle. No running for 6 weeks is going to be hard, and I've got to be very strict on my calorie intake, generally and certainly until I can be more physical again.

Amen to that!  I had another damn prostate surgery (TURP) this past summer, and being laid up with no exercise drove me bonkers.  Boredom, hunger, etc.  All very dangerous for the waistline.  I got some software, MyFitnessPal, on my phone and log everything I eat and drink.  Just the extra effort to log things makes me think twice about grabbing that cookie or handful of chips.  On my phone there's another app that monitors my activity, counting steps and such, and it feeds into MyFitnessPal.  More activity 'rewards' me with more calories I can eat that day, and less activity cuts it down.

The tracking really helps me hold my weight now that I'm at my goal after all these years.

Of course, you should do whatever works for you!  I just think its neat that you've worked hard to get to this point, and are able to take such positive steps.

Hugs
Michelle

•  

Brooke

I'll definitely second the MyFitnessPal. It helped me recalibrate my eating habits.

I think the other habits that have helped is removing temptation, staying out of the kitchen, and using gum throughout the day.

One trick that I have learned is find a diet that works for you, and your needs. For me this is a ketogenic diet. There are enough options open to me that I absolutely love. Having options that are actually good for you AND makes you feel like your cheating/indulging was the key to my success.

But yeah. No exercise! :-(
Can you do walking, or something very low impact like a stationery bike?

•  

Megan.

Diet wise, I aim for 1500cals/day, and try to use protein, fibre, and low GI carbs to stay full and healthy.
After two weeks I can start to build up the walking, then I should be able to run again after six.
  •  

Brooke

I'll definitely keep that timeline in mind if/when I get a tummy tuck.

I don't know if I could do more than two weeks not getting any exercise.

So funny how the draw to exercise changes so drastically from "I'll think about exercising " to "I should really get my exercise in today" to "I can't wait to get my exercise in"

Thanks for the update!

•  

Megan.

Brooke, I spent years looking at runners with pity thinking they were crazy, and only started to help with my diet, but one day realised I did in fact really enjoy it, and even more, I now need it, so I'm now one of the crazy people too 😁.
  •  

Megan.

Just as a follow up, although I never looked on this surgery as a weight loss thing (1.9 kg was removed during the Op), it was for me about improving the look and shape of my body. An interesting outcome has been a serious drop in my appetite and space for food before I feel full. I read that this is common as a result of the tightening of the muscle wall reducing space for the stomach. As things stretch back to a more normal state my appetite may come back, but for me this has been a positive unexpected benefit of the Op.
  •