Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What can we do to get transitional healthcare covered in the US?

Started by AnxietyDisord3r, October 06, 2016, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnxietyDisord3r

So as I go through this transition I've become aware of how critical an issue transitional healthcare (as well as mental healthcare) is for trans people but unfortunately many people living in the US do not have their care covered and must pay for everything out of pocket. What can we do to change this situation?
  •  

DawnOday

There are some providers such as Kaiser / Group Health that do provide transgender services. So far they have been very good to me. FFS and breast implants are about all that is not covered. But I am lucky I live in a liberal state.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

FTMax

The Affordable Care Act makes great headway on that. Any plan available on the Marketplace, Medicaid, and Medicare can't discriminate against transgender people.

What that means - being transgender is no longer considered a pre-existing condition that would make it difficult or impossible for you to obtain health insurance. You can also not be charged more due to being transgender. This is a great start. Prior to the ACA, I had to be really selective about which of my healthcare expenses I ran through insurance to avoid tipping them off that I was trans. This ruled out having any kind of surgery and having my testosterone paid for, because there is really no medical reason why someone listed as female needs that and no way for a surgeon to advocate for a procedure as medically necessary without saying I'm transgender. My doctor had to code all of my visits as a "non-specified endocrine disorder" to get coverage for the visits and my lab work.

Now, in terms of covering those things now. It all varies state to state. Regardless of where you are, if you get a marketplace plan, you should be covered for the basics: mental health services, preventative care examinations, and hormone replacement therapy. Currently, a lot of states have provisions that would deny coverage for surgical benefits related to transition with exclusions like: "sex change operations", "transsexual surgery regardless of medical necessity", or "procedures performed in connection with sex reassignment", etc.

But - starting 1/1/17 - gender identity and sex stereotyping will be banned for most types of health insurance coverage. This makes those broad exclusions above invalid. People will probably still encounter issues as companies make the switch, but all complaints can go directly to the Office for Civil Rights. There are also quite a few advocacy groups that offer free assistance if you find yourself in that situation. Out2Enroll is a great one.

I think you'll find also on an individual level that a lot of doctors are willing to go to bat for us in gray situations. My current plan initially denied covering my hysterectomy bill because I'm listed as male on insurance. It was a big, whopping $40k bill. I didn't even get a chance to appeal it. When I went to see my doctor at my follow-up appointment, she told me not to worry about any bills I get from insurance - that my portion would not exceed my deductible for the year, and that she had already appealed the decision and contacted the office in charge of reviewing health insurance discrimination claims. True to her word, I got a bill about a month later that was for exactly my deductible. Shortly after that, I got a letter from my insurance saying they had reversed their decision and paid up.

So how do we continue working toward making healthcare accessible? Supporting the Affordable Care Act. Tell your representatives that you support it. Write testimonials about your healthcare experience and how it differs now and has impacted your quality of life. Ask your healthcare providers to write in support of it from a professional standpoint. Support insurance companies like Kaiser that by and large provide coverage for transgender care in every state. Read up on insurance in your state and help others locally find plans that will work for them.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Mohini

Quote from: FTMax on October 06, 2016, 02:22:19 PMNow, in terms of covering those things now. It all varies state to state. Regardless of where you are, if you get a marketplace plan, you should be covered for the basics: mental health services, preventative care examinations, and hormone replacement therapy. Currently, a lot of states have provisions that would deny coverage for surgical benefits related to transition with exclusions like: "sex change operations", "transsexual surgery regardless of medical necessity", or "procedures performed in connection with sex reassignment", etc.

But - starting 1/1/17 - gender identity and sex stereotyping will be banned for most types of health insurance coverage. This makes those broad exclusions above invalid. People will probably still encounter issues as companies make the switch, but all complaints can go directly to the Office for Civil Rights. There are also quite a few advocacy groups that offer free assistance if you find yourself in that situation. Out2Enroll is a great one.

So how do we continue working toward making healthcare accessible? Supporting the Affordable Care Act. Tell your representatives that you support it. Write testimonials about your healthcare experience and how it differs now and has impacted your quality of life. Ask your healthcare providers to write in support of it from a professional standpoint. Support insurance companies like Kaiser that by and large provide coverage for transgender care in every state. Read up on insurance in your state and help others locally find plans that will work for them.

So these exclusions are banned on 1-1-17 on what basis?  State-by-state or Federal?

Another issue I have is that I cannot MAKE SENSE at all of what subsidies I qualify for to get Obamacare, because I cannot afford a dime of insurance (unemployed and running through my savings).
  •  

Tessa James

I believe we must demand equality in health care and elsewhere.  I worked as a provider within the healthcare system for 33 years and was then denied surgery even tho my care team fully recommended it.  I appealed it all the way and urge anyone who is denied care to do the same.  My case eventually came before the state insurance commission and we all know that insurance companies do not want negative scrutiny or complaints to be aired publicly.

I won and transition care is becoming more commonly available thanks to the Affordable Care Act that I trust will feature a public option after the coming election.

Any of us capable of writing a post here can also contact their elected representatives and demand equitable health care for all.  It takes activism as equal rights are generally fought for rather than granted by a benevolent majority culture.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

SadieBlake

The ACA was modeled largely on the MA healthcare plan but yes one thing we have in MA that's not in the ACA is mandated coverage for GCS. The exception in MA is self-insured entities, however many of those (e.g. my employer, a large research institution) already had full coverage.

I believe headway has been made with the VA and with Medicare so there's no question this administration has carried the water quite well, however the federal mandate for GCS is still a ways down the road.

Medicare always leads the way on this, whatever medicare covers is soon after picked up by private insurers.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: Mohini on October 07, 2016, 01:07:58 PM
So these exclusions are banned on 1-1-17 on what basis?  State-by-state or Federal?

Another issue I have is that I cannot MAKE SENSE at all of what subsidies I qualify for to get Obamacare, because I cannot afford a dime of insurance (unemployed and running through my savings).

http://out2enroll.org/category/faqs/transgender/

That is good basic reading.

This details the changes in 2017:

http://out2enroll.org/faqs/1557-2/

And you can get help figuring out enrollment options here:

http://out2enroll.org/enrollment-help/

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

FTMax

•