Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Indonesia’s first Muslim transgender boarding school forced to close

Started by stephaniec, October 10, 2016, 01:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Indonesia's first Muslim transgender boarding school forced to close

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/10/09/indonesias-first-muslim-transgender-boarding-school-forced-to-close/

Pink News/By Meka Beresford  9th October 2016, 11:36 AM

"Indonesia's only transgender boarding school has been forced to close after being branded 'immoral'.
Al Fatah was widely regarded as a symbol of tolerance in the country. The school claimed it was the only Islamic boarding school for transgender students in the world."

•  

MxEnby

From what I understand the Quran says nothing about transgender people. I've heard of quite a few trans Muslims who are fully accepted in their communities, and there are some trans cultural groups in Muslim countries such as the xaniths and hijras (the latter can also be Hindu, Sikh or Christian).

It's people like this who continue to give Islam a bad name worldwide.
Genderfluid :)
  •  

Joelene9

That depends on the Muslim country. Iran's Shia Muslim rulers okays transgender treatments because Ayatollah Khomeini ruled in exile on this before he came back to Iran in 1979. UAE and Qatar permits this as well. Indonesia has always been a problem with transgender rights.

Joelene
  •  

BellaDianna2016

Seeing things like this always saddens me. But if there is anything I have learned seeing how much the public image of transgender people has changed in the past 10 years, it is that progress and change are inevitable. The cruel and ignorant will always have the loudest voices because it is human nature for the bad to get more attention, but I truly believe that once they are exposed and educated about what being trans means most people are compassionate even if they think it is wrong.
  •