Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Most health care professionals have no clue how to deal with transgender patien

Started by stephaniec, October 12, 2016, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Most health care professionals have no clue how to deal with transgender patients

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/10/11/most-health-care-professionals-have-no-clue-how-to-deal-with-transgender-patients/

Pink News/By Nick Duffy  11th October 2016, 12:39 PM

"A report has found that the UK's health service is failing to meet the needs of transgender people, with a lack of training leaving nursing staff unprepared to care for them.
The news comes from the Royal College of Nursing, following on from other damning warnings about the state of trans-specific gender services on the NHS."
  •  

julogden

I expect that the situation here in the US is the same.

I don't live full-time, dress only at home currently, but I have a little breast development from estrogen usage years ago, and I'm currently having to deal with some serious health issues. Other than a note in one test report that mentioned that I have "gynecomastia", nothing has been said so far.

One doctor did note that I don't have much hair on my legs. I didn't say anything other than to agree with him. I wan't going to tell him that it's because I used an epilator on my leg hair for years. What little hair left is short, sparse and fine, and mainly above my knees.

If I hadn't been lazy with keeping my legs shaved, he wouldn't have seen any hair.     ;)
  •  

sarah1972

Yeah - even down to terminology... my GP lists "sexual identity" as one of the services they provide... going to ask what that means the next time I am there...

•