News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Federal judge blocks transgender guidance nationwide

Started by AngieT, October 19, 2016, 11:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngieT

Federal judge blocks transgender guidance nationwide

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/federal-judge-blocks-transgender-guidance-nationwide/ar-AAj9eR8?fb_comment_id=1286726408035479_1286767634698023&comment_id=1286746884700098&reply_comment_id=1286767634698023#f153ab6a021d0a2

USA Today/By Christopher Collinsn10/19/2016

"A federal judge has affirmed that an injunction against the Obama administration in Texas v. United States can be applied nationwide, blocking the Departments of Justice and Education from enforcing guidance on bathroom access for transgender students across the country.

Wednesday's ruling in a Wichita Falls federal court also could affect several other lawsuits in which U.S. attorneys are involved, including United States v. North Carolina, the case that kicked off a national debate over transgender rights earlier this year."
Looks like things are getting nasty.  UGH!

•  

julogden

It's disappointing but not unexpected. The right are going to fight tooth and nail in order to keep discriminating against trans people.

Let's hope it gets thrown out. The federal government is appealing it.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article109576377.html
  •  

Mohini

That is why I don't like north Texas and try to stay out of east Texas and west Texas.  Too many rigid conservatives (and they KNOW how to use a single sheet of toilet paper for #2!).
  •  

Xirafel

A single state is telling the rest of the country what laws to follow? Since when was it the United States of Texas? x.x
  •  

julogden

It's not a state telling anyone what to do, it's a federal court decision, and federal court decisions can often apply everywhere.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Xirafel on October 23, 2016, 06:47:33 PM
A single state is telling the rest of the country what laws to follow? Since when was it the United States of Texas? x.x

If it were a TX judge, it'd only affect TX. But this is a Federal judge, and their rulings can be applied nationwide.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

RobynD

This has always been the strategy of regressives (it also was during the old Civil Rights Era). Find a conservative district judge to rule in your favor and then the battle moves on to the Circuit court.

•  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: RobynD on October 26, 2016, 11:54:00 AM
This has always been the strategy of regressives (it also was during the old Civil Rights Era). Find a conservative district judge to rule in your favor and then the battle moves on to the Circuit court.

It's the strategy of any good lawyer (including those on the left)...find a judge who is supportive of their side, and the chances of winning increases dramatically.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

kaitylynn

I do not think that a whole lot will change, other than this will now move to a higher court.  My state could care less what Texas does or thinks.  The laws in my state against trans-discrimination still stand even after this ruling.  For those stuck in the pseudo-moralistic strongholds, none of this should come as a surprise.  What will likely be happening now is that the appeal will be worded in such a way as to set the step up towards SCOTUS.

In other words, while this sucks...it needs to happen to get it into a place where there will be no appeal.
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •