Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

University of Toronto protesters assault Lauren Southern.

Started by JMJW, October 23, 2016, 05:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMJW

This isn't the fist time either. There was another incident in Toronto of someone throwing urine on her because she said there were only two genders.

I've never been to Toronto and I have no intention of going, but as a foreigner. All that attack tells me is that an indefinite number of members of the LGBT community in that University are violent and mentally unstable. The fact that students did that on camera, another boldly lied to police on camera, tells me they don't fear any reprisal from police or faculty.

I would want nothing to do with that college. It's simply not safe at all.

•  

aislingofD

This is heartbreaking to hear about, I live in Toronto and have always loved how accepting my chosen city can be. Toronto, I am utterly disappointed in you.
Zangief saying labels not make you happy. Good, bad, nggghhhh... you must love you. -Wreck it Ralph
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: aislingofD on October 27, 2016, 10:46:39 AM
This is heartbreaking to hear about, I live in Toronto and have always loved how accepting my chosen city can be. Toronto, I am utterly disappointed in you.
I agree. Sorry to hear this. I had some of my best experiences in Toronto... (shoe shopping in full male mode and it was perfectly normal to all store clerks that I try heels - they went above and beyond trying to find a size that fits...)

I hope this is an isolated incident.

•  

Beth Andrea

Playing devil's advocate, but maybe she said something more than just "there are only two genders"...sometimes people who believe in the binary (or not) can get very hostile, to the point of demanding involuntary commitment or worse.

Once a person gets such a reputation, the fuse is very short to the opposition.

I'm not saying what was done is ethical, in fact just the opposite...but when dealing with extremely emotionally-charged issues, one must be careful about martyring either side based on limited evidence.

This is true for both the Left and the Right (another binary-defined construct).

imho

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

JMJW

Quote from: Beth Andrea on October 27, 2016, 11:32:27 AM
Playing devil's advocate, but maybe she said something more than just "there are only two genders"...sometimes people who believe in the binary (or not) can get very hostile, to the point of demanding involuntary commitment or worse.

Once a person gets such a reputation, the fuse is very short to the opposition.

I'm not saying what was done is ethical, in fact just the opposite...but when dealing with extremely emotionally-charged issues, one must be careful about martyring either side based on limited evidence.

This is true for both the Left and the Right (another binary-defined construct).

imho

Being triggered isn't any justification for trying to hit someone. Or as Zoey Tur did, grabbing Ben Shapiro and threatening to put him in an ambulance. That makes trans people and the left in general look radical and extreme, and likely contributed to Hilary's electoral defeat in a big way.
  •  

Joelene9

I had a teacher in high school who said that the political spectrum is actually a circle. At the top wedge of that circle you have the moderates then you have the conservatives on the right, the liberals on the left; the more-so's going downward from the top on both sides. Near the bottom of both sides, you have the radicals near the bottom left and the reactionaries near the bottom right with a jump zone wedge at the bottom of that circle. Members of both of the bottom extremes are known to jump across to the opposite side, not choosing a middle ground. Both of those groups are known to trigger quite easily. The moderates at the top of that political circle are long enduring and don't trigger quite as easily. This is what you are seeing. These are dangerous people and those of whom are politically transgender do not help us who want more normalcy in our condition.
  I happen to like Ms. Southern. But, I was not surprised that she was attacked. This type of violent political venting has been going on at the campuses for quite a long time.

Joelene
  •