Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I want to advocate rights

Started by TX16, November 10, 2016, 10:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TX16

I don't know if this is in the right area, so please tell me if it isn't.

I very much want to become an active activist for LGBT rights in my area. However, I don't even know where to begin. With everything going on, I very much want to be beacon of light for the people that need it the most. Living in the south, in a smaller and less progressive city, I feel that the need is very much there. We have the Louisiana Trans Advocates here, and have a small chapter. I have spoken with the president of the local chapter and have her on my FB. Supposed to meet for coffee soon. Should I speak with her about this?

Are there any other resources I could look into? I don't know how to connect and find those that need the help.

cheryl reeves

Why don't you just be an advocate for transgender rights?  We need more voices for trans rights.
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: TX16 on November 10, 2016, 10:22:14 AM
I don't know if this is in the right area, so please tell me if it isn't.

I very much want to become an active activist for LGBT rights in my area. However, I don't even know where to begin. With everything going on, I very much want to be beacon of light for the people that need it the most. Living in the south, in a smaller and less progressive city, I feel that the need is very much there. We have the Louisiana Trans Advocates here, and have a small chapter. I have spoken with the president of the local chapter and have her on my FB. Supposed to meet for coffee soon. Should I speak with her about this?

Are there any other resources I could look into? I don't know how to connect and find those that need the help.

I would get in touch with your local chapter president and see what she says. She would probably have a good idea of current projects going on in your area specifically. That would likely be your best bet, especially if your desire is political involvement. Different areas of the country have different local needs, so somebody on the ground there would know best where to direct your efforts.

There are a lot of options for stuff you personally could do in your local area. Some options you could consider:

- Writing or stopping in to speak to local politicians regarding things like bathroom bills
- Leading a support group or starting a group for social activities for trans people
- Volunteering as a help line operator
- Fundraising for organizations
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

TX16

Quote from: cheryl reeves on November 10, 2016, 02:04:01 PM
Why don't you just be an advocate for transgender rights? We need more voices for trans rights.

Most of my efforts will be for trans right, but I am also part of the G on LGBT and want to ensure that my rights there are protected too. Not to mention that my mother and sister are the L. Protecting the entire spectrum is what I really want to do, despite any upset I might have with the community from time to time.

FTMax, thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm going to speak with the LTA president tomorrow and get more ideas.

SadieBlake

Become educated. You cannot in my view be an effective or worthy advocate if you don't know your stuff. I would say it's then also good to feel grounded in your identity and to be out. If you're not out I think it's much harder to be effective and also undercuts credibility.

Know lgbt history -- both before and after Stonewall, whatever you can about legislation etc.

I would start by reading current authors and advocates like Julia  Serano, as well as those who go back a little further, Kate Bornstein, Pat Califia for instance.

Don't pretend to know things you don't and always be open to other views and new learning.

Listen. Advocacy is about helping others and that's inherently altruistic and not about your ego.

Advocacy isn't easy and works best if you know how to build bridges. I have a friend who's influential in a major national women's group and to be effective she's needed to be circumspect and by doing so she has managed to make strides in their views on both leathersex and trans issues. I completely admire her ability to be diplomatic when appropriate without compromising her ideals or mission.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •