Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Progesterone on PBS

Started by judithlynn, November 15, 2016, 02:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judithlynn

Finally some good news in Australia. The progesterone bio identical drug Prometrium has been approved for sale over the counter (with a doctors prescription) across Australia. Previousluy one could only get it from a compounding chemist who would make it up for dispensing.

the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme have approved its use for two indication (including HRT) for post menopausal women who experience stuff like weight gain, hot flushes and insomnia. All things I get!! Mostly caused by Oestrogen/ Of course it also has other side effects like  breast development.

It has become available since October 2016 in either 100 or 200mg blister packs or vaginal pessaries.

If you get any of the above symptoms, probably a goodd idea to make sure your Australian doctor is aware Promtrium is now available from your chemist.

JudithLynn

:-*
Hugs

•  

Claire_Sydney

That's great news. It has been costing a small fortune to get progesterone compounded at Bondi Junction.

I'll follow up with my endo and ask for a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

bronlee

I am aware that Prometrium (micronised progesterone) is now available in Australia.That is a huge improvement over Provera (progestin, not progesterone). I would advise anybody reading this thread in Australia who is taking Provera  to ask to be prescribed Prometrium.
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Quote from: bronlee on December 01, 2016, 12:01:45 AM
I am aware that Prometrium (micronised progesterone) is now available in Australia.That is a huge improvement over Provera (progestin, not progesterone). I would advise anybody reading this thread in Australia who is taking Provera  to ask to be prescribed Prometrium.

Hi Bronlee.  I abandoned Provera about 9 months ago and switched to micronised progesterone, which I have been getting compounded.

I pay $89.95 for 100x 100mg capsules, non PBS protected.  What is the PBS price for Prometrium if you don't mind me asking?
  •  

judithlynn

Hi Claire;
I think its about $35
Judith
Hugs

•  

Claire_Sydney

Hmmm, thanks.

It sounds like a compounded prescription is still cheaper than getting prometrium on the PBS.

Good to know there are alternatives in case the compounding chemists can't continue to do it...

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

kelly_aus

Interestingly, it does not appear on the PBS site.. Utrogestan is listed, but only as an "Authority Required" med..
  •  

judithlynn

Hi Kelly;
Try Chemist Warehouse.
Also look under June 2016. Promethium was listed on the PBS and it became widely available in September.Utrogestan was listed in July 2016.
Judith Lynn
Hugs

•  

kelly_aus

Quote from: judithlynn on December 13, 2016, 07:35:14 AM
Hi Kelly;
Try Chemist Warehouse.
Also look under June 2016. Promethium was listed on the PBS and it became widely available in September.Utrogestan was listed in July 2016.
Judith Lynn

They were listed by the TGA in the months you mentioned, however, it appears that Ultrogestan is the only one the hit the PBS list. Not an unusual situation..
  •  

Ms Grace

What are the differences and/or benefits of this over Provera? Always keen to go bio-id where possible.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

kelly_aus

Yes, it being available simply means it has TGA approval.. Prometrium is not currently a PBS-listed med.. As per this page http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?term=progesterone
  •  

judithlynn

Interesting though as TV Channel 9 last month did a great program announcing that Promethium was now hailed as the miracle drug available  in Australia solving the problem for menopausal women and on the TGA List.
Judith
Hugs

•  

judithlynn

I wonder if Sven Strecker is prescribing it now that Chemists are selling it?
Judith
Hugs

•  

kelly_aus

TGA approval is different to being listed on the PBS. There are many medications approved by the TGA that are not on the PBS.

As for Sven, I doubt it, his opinion on progesterone is not a positive.
  •  

Ms Grace

I agree with Kelly, being available is not the same as being on the PBS. Being on the PBS means a government subsidy
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

judithlynn

Does anyone have the answer to MsGrace's question:
"What are the differences and/or benefits of Promethium over Provera?"

As I would like to also know the answer.

Also does anyone have a view as to whether one should take Promethium cyclically or continuously. If so what are the benefits of either option
Judith
Hugs

•  

Dana60

Judith, I've taken both Provera and Prometrium and from a personal perspective i would say that differences have been quite subjective. I haven't had any particular physical changes with either, i think my face has got more feminine with Prometrium, but that also could just be that i have been on hormones for about 16 months so some changes are likely.

I seem to be sleeping better since I have been on Prometrium, and generally i feel better, but as i say, that is quite subjective.
  •  

bronlee

To Judithlynn and MsGrace,

To answer the question of when to take Prometrium was taken from: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/423677.

The question of why Prometrium is taken from days 12-28 may be based on a misunderstanding. Prometrium, for prevention of endometrial hyperplasia, is recommended to be taken at a dosage of 200 mg for 12 sequential days of every 28-day cycle. This, in part, has to do with the wording required by the Food and Drug Administration in the product-information pamphlet. There is no pharmacologic reason for why Prometrium could not be used in a continuous dosing regimen. However, if used for HRT as continuous or cyclic continuous therapy, the 100-mg formulation would be used.

Important caveat: Prometrium contains peanut oil. Do not prescribe it for patients with peanut or peanut oil allergies.

The answer to the question as to the difference between Provera and Prometrium can be read at:
https://greatearthpharmacy.com/2014/10/28/p-right-progesterone-provera-progestin-prometrium-progesterone-peanut-oil/,

I have taken both Provera and Prometrium. I found Provera caused me to become depressed. My dysphoria was enough to cause depression and Provera made the condition worse. I found that Prometrium did not cause depression, in fact the depression of my dysphoria was significantly decreased.

Regards,

Bronwen.

•  

judithlynn

Hi Bronlee and Claire;
Well my doctor in Melbourne has finally prescribed me Promethium, although he doesn't believe it will have any effect. I have only been on it just under a week, but I really do feel its making a difference. It's not yet on the PBS, but  a 30 day supply cost me just over $A40. Currently I am taking it cyclically for 15 days from the 8th till the 22nd. I am going to trial it over the next 6 months as I am hoping that it will mean I don't need to have BA. I am already a small C Cup, but really want more upper pole fullness.

Would love to hear your experience with it
Judith
Hugs

•