News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I'm really scared for our young

Started by Alora, November 29, 2016, 03:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac1

Tonya,

That is an unfair re-write of my post. I did not say any of those things that are implied in your post.
?
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: mac1 on December 13, 2016, 11:09:53 AM
Tonya,

That is an unfair re-write of my post. I did not say any of those things that are implied in your post.
First I'll say I don't come to Susan's to argue politics so I don't really want to continue doing it, though this started as a political thread. I know, I posted but sometimes I can't help it.  I really do try not to get involved in it here (isn't that what Facebook is for?).  My rant on the LGBT stance of Trump's nominees and VP are what lead me to do it this time.

I tried to steer away from economics as that is what I think the original intent of this thread was. 

I will respond to you though because you felt I was unfair.   

I don't believe I  said anything that wasn't pretty basic Republican party rhetoric. I didn't mention that the current batch would like to dismantle Medicare and Social Security, because you did say you are not in favor of that.

By every common measure the economy is far better today than when President Obama took office; unemployment is roughly half of what it was. 

Please then tell me what you said that you feel I misinterpreted. 

•  

RobynD

I owe him nothing and he is not my President. His cabinet pics notwithstanding, the best advice i can give to all LGTBQi people is to work effectively to counter any negatives brought on by his appointees.

Organize
join other groups and lawfully protest when you have the time and opportunity
Work to politically overturn his party and policies
Enjoy the community of one another and our allies

Oh btw, the Electoral College has yet to speak on the subject - For those of you so inclined, there are many petitions and ways to contact the electors out on Google. The justice department as well as a bipartisan effort over the Russian interference and his connections thereof, may have something to say between now and inauguration.

Its going to be a bumpy time, but from such times come awesome changes. Don't get mad, get justice.

•  

mac1

Quote from: RobynD on December 13, 2016, 01:19:51 PM
I owe him nothing and he is not my President. His cabinet pics notwithstanding, the best advice i can give to all LGTBQi people is to work effectively to counter any negatives brought on by his appointees.

Its going to be a bumpy time, but from such times come awesome changes. Don't get mad, get justice.

Note that Rex Tillerson was President of the Boy Scouts when they approved allowing gay leaders.  Most people have a degree of flexibility on most issues.
?
  •  

Deborah

Tillerson as Secretary of State is irrelevant to this. 

Sen Sessions is his Attorney General nomination.  He will have the power to enforce laws for or against us.  So, what might we expect?

"First elected to the Senate in 1996, Sessions "has been on the wrong side of every civil rights issue in his long political career," the Human Rights Campaign noted in a press release. He voted to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage; spoke out against the Supreme Court marriage equality ruling; voted against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act; is a cosponsor of the so-called First Amendment Defense Act, which would allow discrimination against LGBT people and others in the name of "religious freedom"; voted against the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which expanded the federal definition of hate crimes to include those based on sexual orientation, gender, and disability; and voted against repealing "don't ask, don't tell.""  http://www.advocate.com/politics/2016/11/18/ag-pick-jeff-sessions-got-zero-hrcs-scorecard

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Jean24

Quote from: mac1 on December 11, 2016, 11:39:41 PM
Be patient. He was rightfully elected and we owe him our support and the opportunity to see what he will do.  We may question some of his appointments but they are all successful people with many accomplishments.  They are not accomplished politicians who owe the success to dissension. His actions so far show hope for some real progress. 

Many people felt the same about Obama when he was elected but they gave him 8 years without demonstrations, rioting, and disrespect.  Many also feel that he failed in many respects.

No haha he was not rightfully elected there was massive voter fraud, he even said the election was rigged, and he STILL came up short. Then the electoral college failed too. He gets nothing and I love the way he squirms because he can't control his opponents xD
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •