Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Beauty equals pain

Started by Alora, December 12, 2016, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alora

So this weekend I came to fully understand the meaning of this statement.

I used an epilator for the first time. I did both legs and feet, arm pits, chest and pubic region. I've had some tattoos hurt less then this. But OMG... the results are amazing. I love how smooth and soft everything feels. Totally worth it!!!

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

[emoji182]❤️[emoji182]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

KarynMcD

The first time is the worst.
It gets less painful, but some areas will always hurt.
  •  

DawnOday

I've been going to electrolysis. It's like turning your face into a pin cushion for an hour at a time. I tried to go for an hour and a half but could not stand it past an hour. I don't know if it will make me beautiful but it does drain the ole wallet.  :laugh: 
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lily Rose

Quote from: DawnOday on December 15, 2016, 05:33:20 PM
I've been going to electrolysis. It's like turning your face into a pin cushion for an hour at a time. I tried to go for an hour and a half but could not stand it past an hour. I don't know if it will make me beautiful but it does drain the ole wallet.  :laugh:

you get nothing for the pain?
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

Alora

Quote from: Lily Rose on December 18, 2016, 10:25:58 AM
No I didn't. Had I know it was going to hurt that much I would have invested in a lidocaine cream of some kind. It was a bit of a spur of the moment decision. I watched a couple of videos about epilating and made sure to exfoliate before, and then took a shower afterwards, and used a skin cleaner in the shower and afterwards as a preventive for any kind of infection. It worked out well. Took the whole weekend to do. Because I did it one leg at a time at night.

So much better then shaving. Although I've thought about shaving now as the epilator didn't catch everything, or broke some hairs instead of pulling them out.

I'm going to have to invest in one of these myself. It's almost time to retire my hair clippers. [emoji16][emoji16]

•  

Lily Rose

Quote from: DawnOday on December 15, 2016, 05:33:20 PM
I've been going to electrolysis.

was asking about the electrolysis
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

Michelle_P

Electrolysis pain control is sort of up to the client.  The electrolyst can't dispense or prescribe medications.

Most folks getting electrolysis use a lidocaine or similar compounded cream or gel applied to the face shortly before treatment.  This provides some relief.  In addition, folks may take a nonprescription analgesic like ibuprofen beforehand, or obtain a prescription for something more potent.  Unfortunately, in the USA, it is very difficult to get a prescription for more effective pain medication, such as Vicodin or Norco, due to the epidemic of prescription narcotic abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

DawnOday

No Can't take nsaids. Tylinol is about all
. I do have some pain relief but only at night before I go to sleep.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

KathyLauren

I just came back from my third laser appointment.  I bet the laser tech wears leather and carries a whip when off work!  @#$% that hurts!  I had my face doped up with lidocaine.  It didn't seem to help much, though I guess it would have been ten times worse without it.

She cranks up the pain level on each visit.  And I have three more visits before I'm done.   Aaaaaahhhhhh!

She told me I "handled it well".  "Well" presumably meaning that at least I didn't scream, just whimpered.  She told me that she did have a client who screamed once.  Another client out in the waiting room was freaked out by the screaming and had to be talked down.

Someone please tell me electrolysis isn't as bad.  But I am guessing that it's worse.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Alora

I'm buying my first electrolysis pack on Groupon tomorrow. A question for my US sisters, what over the counter lidocaine cream can I get?

•  

cej

electrolysis hurt more than laser for me. but laser also didn't really do anything.

my primary care doctor was surprisingly chill about prescribing as many opioids as I needed for electrolysis. with enough of those i can do an 8 hour session no problem and i'm back for more the next day.

painkillers are generally pretty safe to use for acute pain such as surgeries and electrolysis. addiction is only an issue when they are used to manage chronic conditions. and (hopefully!) facial hair isn't a chronic condition.

if your doc pushes back you could offer to show them the electrolysis invoices so they know you're not using the meds recreationally.
  •  

Alora

Quote from: cej on December 19, 2016, 02:37:47 PM
electrolysis hurt more than laser for me. but laser also didn't really do anything.

my primary care doctor was surprisingly chill about prescribing as many opioids as I needed for electrolysis. with enough of those i can do an 8 hour session no problem and i'm back for more the next day.

painkillers are generally pretty safe to use for acute pain such as surgeries and electrolysis. addiction is only an issue when they are used to manage chronic conditions.

if your doc pushes back you could offer to show them the electrolysis invoices so they know you're not using the meds recreationally.
Unfortunately, the clinic I'm assigned to doesn't give out scripts for opioids.

Government insurance is great, but sucks at the same time.

•  

cej

Where do you live? Do private doctors exist in your country? What do people who actually need opioids do? Given how expensive electrolysis is, paying for a doctor visit to get pain drugs seems pretty worth it.
  •  

Alora

Quote from: cej on December 19, 2016, 02:49:44 PM
Where do you live? Do private doctors exist in your country? What do people who actually need opioids do? Given how expensive electrolysis is, paying for a doctor visit to get pain drugs seems pretty worth it.
I'm in the USA. On government insurance. Because I'm on government insurance I'm assigning to a clinic. That clinic sucks. If I go anywhere else I'm paying out of pocket and I can't do that right now. Which is why I asked about over the counter lidocaine products.

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Alora on December 19, 2016, 02:01:28 PMA question for my US sisters, what over the counter lidocaine cream can I get?
I don't know what is available where you are, but the product I used is called 'Emla'.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Alora

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 19, 2016, 04:13:54 PM
I don't know what is available where you are, but the product I used is called 'Emla'.
Does it do the trick for you?

I'll look for it on amazon thank you.

•  

Michelle_P

For OTC numbing gels, I've been using Greencaine (4% lidocaine) gel.  It's fairly cheap per ounce and I've had good results.  I generally wash up before applying using a surgical prep cleaner (chlorhexidine gluconate 4%, but be darn careful not to get it near your eyes!) with hot water to open pores, let dry, then massage in the numbing gel.  I apply a second coat of gel to get the recommended thickness, then cover with plastic wrap.  (I apply a narrow strip across the upper lip onto the cheeks, then a big square across the lower lip drawn up to the ears and tucked against the neck.  This leaves a mouth hole for speaking. :) )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •