Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A Note on MTF voice

Started by tinkerbell, November 07, 2007, 09:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerbell

Hmmm...I thought it was rather helpful, but as the author of the video says, it may not work for everyone.

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Keira

I dislike the "female" voice. And even practice won't help that.
Remember the poetry thing I posted, I sounded "Nothing"
like that!!

The result to me is the typical MTF voice, I hear plenty in the support groups. Its like the person is dying with somebody pinching their nose so it sounds nasal!!

•  

tinkerbell

Honestly I think she gives good tips if you are just starting to practice your female voice (going by the appearance of this person, I'd say that she is in the very early stages of transition or perhaps pre-transition?) 

Keira, you are right, I loved how you sounded on that poetry thread.  That's what practice does!  ;)

•  

Pica Pica

all MTFs who 'do the voice' sound american, even the english ones
  •  

katia

i dont wanna be rude but the "female" voice doesn't sound female at all!
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Katia on November 09, 2007, 02:14:42 PM
i dont wanna be rude but the "female" voice doesn't sound female at all!

You're right. It sounds like she's trying too hard.

Quote from: Keira on November 08, 2007, 01:43:12 AM

I dislike the "female" voice. And even practice won't help that.
Remember the poetry thing I posted, I sounded "Nothing"
like that!!

The result to me is the typical MTF voice, I hear plenty in the support groups. Its like the person is dying with somebody pinching their nose so it sounds nasal!!

I dislike the 'female' voice too. She actually sounded better before she went in to the female voice.

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Enigma

People breathe when they speak.  There's no breathing in the female voice, its all exhaling.  That's what sounds wrong to me at least.
  •  

tinkerbell

Hmmmmm......she addresses very important points in achieving a more feminine voice; she talks about resonance but in practice it is more difficult than what it is stated on paper, videos, or DVD's.  My speech therapist says that the best way to make sure you are speaking with the correct resonance is to touch your throat when you talk.  If your throat vibrates when you speak, that means that you are talking with a "male" resonance regardless of the pitch you are using.  She also recommends a mirror when you practice as it helps you see your facial expressions, something you don't normally see when talking to other people.

Additionally, pitch and resonance are not everything that is needed to obtain a more feminine voice.  Timber, enunciation, grammar. vocabulary, and body language are also needed; hence, for starters, I think that the video is OK.  I agree that her voice is not quite "there" yet, but I sympathize with her.  Learning to speak in a feminine voice (without reverting to the male voice in the middle of a conversation) is one of the hardest things a transsexual woman has to accomplish, for it requires hours of practice, money (if you seek the help of a speech therapist or surgeon to correct your vocal cords) and plenty of dedication.

•  

Keira

One of the most important thing to speak a female voice is recognize the difference. You need to devellop your ear.
That's why those who sing a lot have less problems.

Also, PLEASE, NO STUPID WHISPERED VOICE, IF I have to hear one more Marylin Monroe Wannabe TS in person I'll go beserk!

A female voice is not about speaking softly with a nasal lisp!!!

I'm in a PR graduate course here with mostly women and we do a lot of public speaking and none have a feable voice either in front of a crowd or one on one. Though many have a voice as deep or deeper than mine (mine's is about middle of the road in pitch).

Once you got the hear, listen women speak. One thing that's fun are web sites that collect english dialects all over the world. Everybody says the same sentence, so you get dozens of different women repeating the same thing and you can hear many differences in voicing/resonnance/prosody and pitch.

•  

Nero

Quote from: Keira on November 09, 2007, 07:32:34 PM
Also, PLEASE, NO STUPID WHISPERED VOICE, IF I have to hear one more Marylin Monroe Wannabe TS in person I'll go beserk!

A female voice is not about speaking softly with a nasal lisp!!!

I used to subconsciously do the 'Marilyn Monroe' voice in certain situations. It was totally subconscious. I never knew until it was pointed out to me. It wasn't my natural voice. I can only attribute it to a subconscious effort to appear 'normal' and hide my 'problem'.
The 'Marilyn Monroe' effect really smacks of a man's interpretation of the female voice.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Keira on November 09, 2007, 07:32:34 PM

*Whispering in a Marylin Monroe voice*  What did you say?  Berserk?  how so?  >:D ;D

•  

Desire

Isn't the key to a passable voice the same as passing physically, more about attitude and confidence than anything else. Just my personal experience.
  •  

Suzy

I bought that same program and I think it makes some good points, but all in all, not too helpful yet.  I thought it would be something to do while recovering from surgery.    If nothing else, though, it makes you think and work on your voice.  I REALLY hope for better results that the GUY on the video. 

Kristi
  •