Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Update on Phallo with Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner at NYU Medical

Started by CMD042414, January 10, 2017, 11:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMD042414

Quote from: dre_moe on May 29, 2017, 03:23:46 PM
What size phallus did you say that you wanted? I definitely know I'm going to have phallo as my bottom surgery and I would prefer to use MLD. Why does she not like to use that site? I'm at a crossroad between her team and Dr. Crane. And based on your post I'm thinking of following this same route but only if I can understand why you settled on ALT. I'm not total comfortable with the idea of having that forearm scar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to Dr. B-L MLD is not ideal if you've had top surgery already. The tissue that they use to create the phallus comes from a section of your side up to your underarm that can cause droopiness for the chest. Your pec on that side would look uneven after time. It also has the least amount of sensation due to less nerves harvested. Phallo is stage 2 so I haven't solidified size with her yet. I am lookong for at least 7 in length. 6.5 if I have to. ALT means girth will not be a problem. Her default surface area for electrolysis on the thigh is 6×6 but I am clearing 8×7. I will ask her more about phallo size when I meet with her in July for my pre-op stage 1 appointment.
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

dre_moe

Hey this a continuation from a reply you posted in this thread https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,216382.0/topicseen.html

But the question is more fitting here.  Dr. B-L does four stages but you didn't mention when she places the penile erection device.  Is that done in Stage 4 when she combines the urethra to the neo-urethra?
Started T - 4 Dec 17
Top Surgery - 21 Mar 18
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: dre_moe on May 31, 2017, 09:09:11 AM
Hey this a continuation from a reply you posted in this thread https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,216382.0/topicseen.html

But the question is more fitting here.  Dr. B-L does four stages but you didn't mention when she places the penile erection device.  Is that done in Stage 4 when she combines the urethra to the neo-urethra?

So this is ALT only here but glansplasty and erection device are a fifth stage. RFF would be stage 3 I believe. I know that sounds like a b*tch doesn't it?! Its her method though. She wants that UL to be completely healed and operational for some time before the device. According to B-L the complication rate is vastly reduced this way so I'm ok with it. I figure I've waited this long and I want to do it right. So for me my timeline as long as all goes well is: Summer 2017 Stage 1, December 2017 Stage 2, March 2018 Stage 3, Summer 2018 Stage 4, December 2018 Stage 5. I have stages 1 and 2 already scheduled.
  •  

CMD042414

Thought I'd update this for anyone out there looking for information. I started this topic because I was supposed to have stage 1 Phallo with Dr. B-L in July 2017 but I got sick. I am now scheduled for August 10th 2018. My insurance covers it all. Dr. B-L and her team like to take it slow and build your urethra in multiple steps. Our original plan and her usual method is a 5 stage process but for me we are going with 4 and a reordering. This is mainly due to my illness and the need to just get 'er done. The new staging will be:

1 - ALT phalloplasty (7 inches)
2 - vaginectomy, scrotoplasty, rerouting of original urethra, creation of new urethra from vaginal mucosa ,possibly glansplasty
3 - connect original urethra to new urethra, glansplasty if not done stage 2
4 - erectile device

I am not sure about having both sets of genitalia for 4 or 5 months between stages one and two. Really concerned about that but it is what it is.
  •  

mm

CMD042414, you will get through having both for the 4-5 months; look at the results not what you have in between.  What erectile device you want; I am thinking I want the pump to be more real for me.
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: mm on February 07, 2018, 07:34:43 AM
CMD042414, you will get through having both for the 4-5 months; look at the results not what you have in between.  What erectile device you want; I am thinking I want the pump to be more real for me.
Hey thanks! I want the pump also. Thought I have plenty of time to decide. The urologist, Dr. Zhao specializes in these procedures for cis and trans men and he says cis men almost always go for the pump because it mimics a natural erection.
  •  

Tae_C

I'm so glad i finally found someone whose going to have her as a surgeon for phalloplasty. At first i was thinking about going to dr.ting but things said about him and the lack of info on phalloplasty from his patiences has distanced me from him so ive been looking into dr.B-L and she sounds awesome so far. im also looking to get 7inch ALT. When it comes to the stages youre going to be having as you states "1. ALT phalloplasty , 2. vaginectomy, scrotoplasty,urethra,glanplasty 3. connecting urethra an glanplasty if not done in stage 2, 4. erectile device. Is it possible i can have this order of stages because this would honestly be perfect for me. or did she change it up for you because of your illness you had?
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: Tae_C on February 12, 2018, 12:16:08 PM
I'm so glad i finally found someone whose going to have her as a surgeon for phalloplasty. At first i was thinking about going to dr.ting but things said about him and the lack of info on phalloplasty from his patiences has distanced me from him so ive been looking into dr.B-L and she sounds awesome so far. im also looking to get 7inch ALT. When it comes to the stages youre going to be having as you states "1. ALT phalloplasty , 2. vaginectomy, scrotoplasty,urethra,glanplasty 3. connecting urethra an glanplasty if not done in stage 2, 4. erectile device. Is it possible i can have this order of stages because this would honestly be perfect for me. or did she change it up for you because of your illness you had?

Honestly you'll hear something about every surgeon at some point. Though I must say I've heard nothing bad about Dr. B-L other than frustration with the amount of stages. Her team just won an award in December: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nyu-langone-health-surgeons-honored-for-their-commitment--contribution-to-lgbtq-community-300570985.html

From what I gather from the scheduling staff they do have patients that opt for the normal stage 2 up front so I don't think it was just for me. Be sure to mention that. I will say as insurance continues to go our way she is becoming crazy busy. The office is always slammed so response times can be slow and getting a hold of someone even slower.

•  

Tae_C

;D good point and yeah the amount of stages is a little frustrating but I'm sure she does that so there's less risks and complications. And its good to know that others have asked for that stage up front too , lol because to be honest I rather have to wait 90 days for my next stage while enjoying a bulge than to be stuck with meto for that long til the next stage.
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: Tae_C on February 12, 2018, 07:31:02 PM
;D good point and yeah the amount of stages is a little frustrating but I'm sure she does that so there's less risks and complications. And its good to know that others have asked for that stage up front too , lol because to be honest I rather have to wait 90 days for my next stage while enjoying a bulge than to be stuck with meto for that long til the next stage.

Yea I go back and forth on this one. Pros and cons each way.
  •  

Tae_C

Well good luck with your stages :) please please keep us posted , its exciting to know we'd literally be seeing the same person 😂😂 makes me feel closer to you even though I dont really know you lol
  •  

CMD042414

•  

HappyMoni

Good luck guys. I met with Dr B-L when she was in Baltimore. At that point she was a bit inexperienced for me but she clearly cared about what she is doing. She is so nice too.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: HappyMoni on February 13, 2018, 04:06:27 PM
Good luck guys. I met with Dr B-L when she was in Baltimore. At that point she was a bit inexperienced for me but she clearly cared about what she is doing. She is so nice too.
Moni
Inexperienced in what way?
  •  

HappyMoni

When I met with her, quite a while ago, she had only done about 25 M to F GCS surgeries. She has had a lot of surgeries since. Didn't mean to worry you. I never asked about F to M surgery.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

CMD042414

Oh no worries, just curiosity lol. Her waiting area is around 2:1 mtf over ftm now.
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Tae_C on February 12, 2018, 11:03:42 PM
Well good luck with your stages :) please please keep us posted , its exciting to know we'd literally be seeing the same person 😂😂 makes me feel closer to you even though I dont really know you lol

Hi Tae and welcome to the site.

I wanted to share some links that we like to pass along to newly posting members. It is mostly welcome info, a caution  and the rules of the site.

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Jacqui

1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

transnomad

Dr B-L is an amazing surgeon. I met with her & her team multiple times — but after so much research I definitely chose Dr Ting & his team at Mt Sinai. His new procedure is so revolutionary by not using large skin grafts/muscle tissue — but instead using the labia & genital skin to create the penis really blew my mind. The surgery lasted 14 hours but I got everything I asked for... instead of endless surgeries lasting well over a year. For me, that would have been too much. And the pain alone... & of course, complications... glad I chose Dr Ting. He was the right surgeon for me. I actually had a surgery date locked in with Dr B-L...it would have been last Nov 30th... but her team was so frustrating & difficult to contact. They never called me back or kept me on track with all the necessary aspects to prep for. I called so many times about electrolysis & no one ever called me back to schedule dates/times. Not to mention they couldn't guarantee Medicaid would pay for it. So NYU in general would have additional out of  pocket costs. But with all that said, I still think she's an amazing surgeon. Good luck to you guys!
  •  

Tae_C

His new procedure gets everything done within one stage? And would I be able to get 6 inches if I go with that procedure
  •