Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Public Speaking and Branching Out

Started by Michelle_P, January 19, 2017, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

I've been engaged in public speaking activities for a while now, as a way to keep a hand in the business after leaving the whole corporate employee gig behind. So far, most of my presentations have been centered on the things I love, physics and technology, and have been oriented towards tech hobbyists, their curiosity, and thirst to learn more about their favorite tech.

I'm doing a presentation on January 20th for the Mount Diablo Amateur Radio Club, on basic antenna principles. This one is a one hour rundown on what makes an antenna actually work, from physics to practice. We will look at how an electric field produces a radio wave, basic dipoles, and how a dipole radiates. We will look at the effect of other conductors near the antenna, and discover some interesting interactions.

http://www.mdarc.org/activities/club-meetings/speakers

This particular presentation is a sort of physics-lite, oriented towards the amateur radio community, and designed to impart some fundamental knowledge of what goes into actually making common antennas work, and how to work with these principles to get the best results. It's aimed at folks with the Technician or General Class licenses who want to know a bit more, or who are preparing to take the tests to upgrade their license to a higher class.

This is a fun activity for me, as I get to carry on about things that are dear to my nerdy little heart and interact with others who have a similar interest. It occurs to me that I might be able to do this in other, non-technical areas as well.

It is probably obvious to anyone looking at this profile that I am not exactly a stock model female person. How I got here is a long story, and outside the scope of this post. That said, I have learned much on my path through life.

I am also an activist. Yeah, shocking, I know. I'm a huge fan of the First Amendment rights guaranteed in the US Constitution, and believe they should be exercised loudly and often. I had the thought that I might combine my activism, life experience, and public speaking as a way to inform others about those of us who stand at the crossroads of gender, balanced on the sharp edge of a knife. My thinking is that I could inform people of the actual facts behind who we are and how we got here, to counter the incredible amounts of misinformation dumped on the populace.

I am curious, though, if this is something worth doing, or if, as with so many other things in modern society, people have already decided on their beliefs and won't bother listening. If truthiness has replaced the truth in most people's minds, I'd be engaging in an exercise in futility, hardly worth dealing with at this point in my life. If there is an honest desire for facts, real information, I think this would be worth doing.

As always, feedback is appreciated. It will help me stumble through life more effectively.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Michelle_P on January 19, 2017, 10:56:03 AM
I am curious, though, if this is something worth doing, or if, as with so many other things in modern society, people have already decided on their beliefs and won't bother listening.
There will always be people whose minds are made up and who are not interested in the truth.  They are not your audience. 

However, the vast majority do not know enough about the subject to have an informed opinion.  While they are not necessarily supporters, neither are they opponents.  In the absence of any other information, their views will be determined by the loudest voices they hear.  If those loud voices belong to the haters, well, that's what they will "know".

So someone needs to be out there making sure the facts are heard, so that the uninformed people in the middle have a reason to doubt the haters.

I have no doubt that you are an excellent public speaker.  Your passion and confidence are clear in your posts here.  So, if you are motivated to do this, go for it!  The need is there, and I can't think of a finer ambassador for trans people.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Tessa James

Michelle, there is simply a huge need and call to activism and visibility for transgender people.  I get more calls for presentations than I can manage and it is work.  No one made any of us an authority or the one right representative of transgender people.  While our credentials and bonafides can appear on a syllabus I feel it is important to also let people know how broad the world of transgender people is. 

We can recognize and accept the fact that many transgender people want and plan to be fully integrated into their community and culture and blend in, pass or have the option of being stealth.  Those are not pejorative terms IMO and I have no wish to revisit or challenge those very personal choices. 

I think we TG folks are in a similar position to the Gay, Bi and Lesbian people of the 70s.  If some of us are not out, visible and proud then it can fall to Hollywood celebrities and sensational social media situations to frame our world.  TV programs like Will and Grace are legendary while TransParent may have also opened some minds?  U tube and sites like this help but remain remote and detached.  Your RLE, dialogue and informed answer to questions is the basis of what we need to share.

The Pew research folks asked people if they had ever had an experience with a ghost.  The replies suggest that over a third of us say yes.  They also asked how many people have actually met a transgender person.  Only bout 5% could say yes and that is part of our challenge.  I feel more real than a ghost and am not willing to have celebrities and cisgender people define us.  Virtually every time I am part of such a presentation I get to meet other LGBTQ people coming out, allies and people who are grateful that some one is standing up.  Parents of younger people seem especially happy to see mentors that are secure, confident, and successful.  You got all that!

Michelle you know how much easier it is to speak about topics that we have a passion for.  Your previous experience presenting and speaking to groups is highly valuable and you provide a positive image for us even if you are speaking about nerd only topics ;D  Groups from churches to major employers are looking for an educational option.  I urge you to continue on and be that public speaker we need. 
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Michelle_P

OK, Kathy and Tessa have spoken, and these are folks I have some respect for.  Tessa's own activism is what helped rekindle mine, so I take her remarks particularly seriously. 

It sounds like I should consider picking up the megaphone and letting the world know that we are here, sorry you are uncomfortable, but get used to it.

Time to get the ball rolling, I suspect.  Thank you, Kathy and Tessa!

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Tessa James

Being comfortable with ourselves and sharing information in a way that keeps us approachable is part of the challenge.  You know we are likely to get those questions about what's between our legs and which bathroom we use.

We want people to ask us in an educational session and yet recognize how inappropriate it is to query or comment on someone's genitalia or appearance as any indicator of worth or value.

The arc of history provides plenty of real time examples of the harm prejudice, discrimination and segregation cause.  Attempts to exclude us from the public sphere can be seen thru the lens of children in schools and homeless teens on the street.  We can paint a reality that is compelling with data and personal anecdotes that inform and encourage people to see us as valued members of the family and team.  We have unique perspectives that can bring people together.

You are needed ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Michelle_P

Something that drove the point home for me was seeing "Hidden Figures", and watching that poor mathematician have to run a half mile to get to 'her' restroom from her desk, complete with that nasty sign over the restroom, "Colored Women". :(

Then I saw a sign like this:

I'm sure the person who put this up thought they were being helpful, but the message!  This is your restroom, not the other ones in the building.  It's not far from a suggestion to a mandate. Gah!

Never again.  NEVER AGAIN!

This will certainly upset someone (Hi, someone...), but I don't pass.  I know I don't. Rather than shut up and be the 'dude in a dress' to be glanced at and ignored, or stared at, I choose to speak up. 

I don't want someone to discriminate against us because their personal faith is centered on a bad translation of some 3500 year old rules for a tribe of desert nomads.  I don't want any child to go through what I did growing up.  I am a human being, not a thing for someone's amusement.  I've worked damn hard to realize myself, harder than anyone born and raised as female.  I am a woman, finally, and I deserve to be treated as such.

If I don't speak out for myself and others, who will?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

•  

Lunacorn

im actually super disturbed its a mens / hcap/ trans bathroom.  which means there likely is pee on the seat grosss....

yet seriously the concept of male / trans bathroom further adds reason for a delusional society to assume that just because i was AMAB that i somehow belong grouped with men.  f*ck that nothing scares me more than white men.  what state did you see this in michelle?  im much happier with gender nuetral bathrooms which is a rad way to go
Lunacorns are adorable

Pronouns: she / they

--Admin ATTN--
Agender is not avail nor is NB in gender list under profile settings
  •  

Michelle_P

This was on a restroom in central California!  I saw the darn thing in a diner off I-99 outside Fresno, and I found a picture of what I think is the same sign with a Google image search.  Yes, California law actually says that we are to use the restroom we identify with, and starting in March 2017, all single seat restrooms are to be all-gender restrooms.

I like to think the business owner was trying to be inclusive and helpful while being naive, but seeing that on the door gave me the exact opposite impression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

•  

Lunacorn

Yea it would give me the creeps to see.  The fact that it is fresno makes sense.  Its a bit diffferent in socal...  Sad considering its the state with #1 ratings on trans rights in country... that being said you can see how even #1 has a lot o work to do.
Lunacorns are adorable

Pronouns: she / they

--Admin ATTN--
Agender is not avail nor is NB in gender list under profile settings
  •  

Anne Blake

Michelle, I applaud your outspoken nature. I also believe that we need to educate those around us if we ever expect to gain greater acceptance. You seem to have strengths in public speaking, I do best one on one. For me, letting those around me get to know a transgender woman and realize that I am real, have feelings, can contribute and don't often eat small children is most effective. That does imply that I choose to expose my trans nature even when I might be able to get by in stealth mode; not all the time but when teachable moments are at hand. I am not at all saying that speaking out to groups is not great, it is, but not something that I have ever been effective at. Let's each pursue our own ways of educating and hope that we all win.

Anne
  •