News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Deed Poll vs Statuatory Declaration

Started by Mirath, January 29, 2017, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirath

Me again, heh,

So, I've been looking up on how you can legally change your name, and I've hit a bit of a thing.

Some sites say some companies require it by statuatory declaration, and others say a free deed poll should be fine for everything. Which is it? (Although I'm leaning more towards a deed poll should be fine for everything)

Also, on some deed poll website (think it was the official deed poll service or something like that), you can pay an extra £10 or around that to have the original copy kept in their archives so further copies are easier to obtain.

Is that worth it, or just going by the free deed poll and making extra copies should be enough?

One final question - with the extra copies, is a photocopy enough or do you (and any witnesses) need to sign every single piece of paper?

Thanks in advance
The wandering fictionkin

•  

Kylo

I'm going to get a solicitor to draw it up because I just know someone - maybe my bank, maybe Paypal, passport office or some other deal will give me grief without some legal backup documents/letters. I don't want to pay £110 for the service but they cover all the witnessing, keep records and draw up copies on demand; everything should be legally above board and irrefutable. I don't want anyone saying a deed poll without a letter from a solicitor isn't enough in the middle of changing bank account names or whatever.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Rebecca

Can do your own deed poll and print it off for nothing within a few mins.

Used mine to change everything including drivers licence and passport. You can use even just the drivers licence to change anyone that's stubborn but I didn't have any trouble.

I can put up template if you like.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
  •  

Rebecca

For everyone except the bank a copy of my deed poll was enough. For them my new Drivers Licence was sufficient which is understandable.

DVLA & passport office need originals but scanned ok for the rest.

For witnesses any 2 people will do.

I also made half a dozen originals so I could mail original to DVLA and keep the rest as spares.

Never had to touch them since everything else changed. Keeping for gender recognition certificate then bin them after I get my new birth certificate.
  •  

Elis

Jerrica's right. Although the two people can't be related to you. I've managed to change all my documents  (passport, provisional driving licence, name and title on bank account) with absolutely no problem. Just printed out a template on to parchment paper to make it look more professional. There's no such thing as an 'official deed poll website'. It's a scam and completely unnecessary. Additionally I printed off 15 deed poll templates and had them signed so I could send off originals.

Also interestingly I learned that you don't need a GRC to change the gender on your passport  (although there's no mention of this on the government website  >:( ). I just got my GP to write a letter saying my change of gender was likely permanent and sent that off with my cjange of name passport form. I also included a letter explaining I was trans just in case.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Mirath

Quote from: Elis on January 30, 2017, 10:11:41 AM
Jerrica's right. Although the two people can't be related to you. I've managed to change all my documents  (passport, provisional driving licence, name and title on bank account) with absolutely no problem. Just printed out a template on to parchment paper to make it look more professional. There's no such thing as an 'official deed poll website'. It's a scam and completely unnecessary. Additionally I printed off 15 deed poll templates and had them signed so I could send off originals.

Also interestingly I learned that you don't need a GRC to change the gender on your passport  (although there's no mention of this on the government website  >:( ). I just got my GP to write a letter saying my change of gender was likely permanent and sent that off with my cjange of name passport form. I also included a letter explaining I was trans just in case.

Huh, that's pretty interesting about not needing a GRC, especially since I fly at least once or twice a year so changing my passport has been a thought for me.

Thank you all for your replies, it's been helpful
The wandering fictionkin

•  

PinkThorn682

Quote from: Elis on January 30, 2017, 10:11:41 AM

There kind of is an "official deed poll website" in the sense that there's a gov.uk guide on the matter.
AMAB born - March 1992
Admitted to self - 2006
Came out - November 4th, 2015
Referred to GIC - June 23rd, 2017
  •  

Nooms

Hell there

Just a heads up...My partner and I both created our own Deed Polls, printed them out on poshy paper and got 2 witnesses to sign them and we have had no problems whatsoever with any companies including Government departments and the NHs hear in the UK. The only problem we came across was when it came to requesting a gender change with the NHS, they had to create a new NHS number for us both because the name change wasn't enough to change our gender etc.

Hope this helps anyone x

Nooms
Never without my camera...Our ability to capture a moment and freeze it forever in creative imagery is something that touches my very soul!
  •