Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Happiness is a tragedy

Started by WolfNightV4X1, February 02, 2017, 12:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfNightV4X1

I grew up in a religious household, so naturally I was taught against a lot of things like sex, homosexuality, and gender aberrant behavior.

...thing is, I grew up not fitting that world, and I became increasingly guilty and shameful of myself. fighting back and forth on what I can and cant do. Feeling disgraced by myself.

Ive been taught other beliefs of the afterlife, that we dont die and go to hell.

But the thing is...thats what Ive been taught. In the written law, if we dont turn away, we are doomed to hell.

Part of me still has these ideals ingrained in my head, and always will.

We are doomed to die and face eternity in hell. We are broken people. We can only be saved by denying ourselves and following "the right path".

...I dont know how to do that, though. Every day I feel like my happiness is wrong. A tragedy.

•  

Elis

Not sure if I quite believe in an afterlife; heaven or hell. If heaven did exist I would think it'd be quite boring living in paradise forever. I still can't get over the feeling that I'm doing something 'wrong'. Probably due to me growing up completely unaware that LGBTQ existed and the shame that followed afterwards when I learnt I was part of this community. I've considered lately maybe even going to church. Even though I don't believe in the Bible I like the ideas in it and the feeling of inclusion you get going to church.

I just try to be as kind to people as possible. Anyone can be nice but kindness takes extra effort. I try to get along with everyone and try not be judgemental although I slip up now and again. That's what any person can really do. And simply hope this is enough.

Like with any medical condition I don't see why I should feel guilty for seeking treatment. Same with me having in the past take antidepressants to increase the serotonin in my brain or to wear glasses to treat my eyesight.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

FTMax

Do religious diabetics feel guilt or shame for using insulin to manage their condition and prolong their life? Do religious people born with birth defects feel guilt or shame for using surgery to correct their condition and improve their quality of life?

I think the answer is no. Don't get hung up on religious laws. Depending on what you believe, Old Testament laws could be out anyway. My view is that God has always been the same and does not change, but that doesn't mean the way He deals with humanity doesn't change. The Mosaic covenant of the OT (all those rules given to the Jews) is similar to a state law - it might cover people in California but it doesn't apply to me in Virginia because Virginia has it's own laws. If it isn't a universal moral thing covered under both the Old and New Testaments (like say murder), then it no longer applies.

My general belief is that I was born this way for a reason, and I don't think God would have allowed things to fall into place as they have (being born in privilege, able to access resources, etc.) if it was against His will for me to take action. I am happier than I have ever been and I never worry about where I'm going when I die. The best thing you can do for your mental well being is to find what works for you. There are plenty of churches that believe what I just explained above.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

MeTony

I was in an exhibition in a museum in my town. It was about indians, eskimos. What caught my eyes was the "woman with manly heart" exhibition. There were women doing man's work such as hunting and marrying women. And men with woman's heart. It was accepted in their society.

Something happened in the early 1900's. the woman was supposed to stay home and do home stuff and beware the ones sticking out of the norm.

I believe we are regaining our rights to be ourselves in these times. We have always existed. It is nothing new. The thing I believe scare people is that we first break the norm - that is ok in some extent, but after correction we blend in and that makes people uncomfortable. What people don't understand scares them.

I believe many need an excuse, for example, religion, to protect them from scary stuff. But religion does not have to be bad. It gives people hope and comfort. But you should not feel excluded from your religion because of who you are.
  •  

Lunacorn

wolfNight,

I can totally relate to struggles around religion and the impact "being wrong" has having been raised one faith and even though turning away from hatefulness and fearfullness in religions i still feel the after effects of 'would g-d be okay with this?' yet still its an uphill climb to reprogram my brainpiece i wish you solidarity and respect for naming your experience
Lunacorns are adorable

Pronouns: she / they

--Admin ATTN--
Agender is not avail nor is NB in gender list under profile settings
  •  

Kylo

Is it your true belief that you are wrong, or just that you are concerned other people will see you as wrong? Has god actually told you that what you are doing is wrong? If not all you are going on is what other people have tried to drum into your brain.

Many Christians I talked to, or people with Christian backgrounds who are also LGBT, believe that god created them the way they were because they didn't choose to be trans, so as long as they try to be good people and try to live a savory life, that's a matter between them and god, not what other people say or write about what god wants. That's the view I'd take as well.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •