Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender-friendly toilets planned for 2020 Olympics in Tokyo

Started by stephaniec, March 01, 2017, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/01/tokyo-2020-olympics-transgender-friendly-toilets

The Guardian / By Bryan Armen Graham Wednesday 1 March 2017 17.42 EST

"Tokyo's metropolitan government is seeking to install gender-neutral public restrooms in the venues it is constructing for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics.
While daredemo toire ("everyone's toilets") suitable for either men or women have existed for several years in Japan, they have previously been designed as larger spaces designed to accommodate patrons in wheelchairs."
  •  

Alora

Quote from: stephaniec on March 01, 2017, 09:49:18 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/01/tokyo-2020-olympics-transgender-friendly-toilets

The Guardian / By Bryan Armen Graham Wednesday 1 March 2017 17.42 EST

"Tokyo's metropolitan government is seeking to install gender-neutral public restrooms in the venues it is constructing for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics.
While daredemo toire ("everyone's toilets") suitable for either men or women have existed for several years in Japan, they have previously been designed as larger spaces designed to accommodate patrons in wheelchairs."
Oh my gosh!!! I now have a whole new reason to go to Japan!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

zirconia

In a sense that's non-news if one lives in Japan. Most stations, department stores, tollway service stations, hotels and other public spaces already have single occupant toilets that anyone can use. Convenience stores, small bars and other establishments often do too—and these are quite often much too small to accommodate a wheelchair.

One thing that may surprise visitors accustomed to absolute segregation is that some shops have one toilet labeled "Men" and the other "Men & "Women." I shall leave it for the gentle readers to reason out why.
  •