Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cycling again after a long break!

Started by kaitylynn, March 18, 2017, 09:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaitylynn

Well, started back on my bicycle and wow!  After a long hiatus from saddle time, I set up the trainer and started pedaling again.  I have not ridden since starting HRT again and I found that my saddle is not longer comfortable at all.  Thinking I might have to switch to a wider saddle as it seems my butt is not what it once was :)

Any other cyclists in the San Diego area?
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

luna nyan

I had a saddle fit recently and I still have average male width sit bones for my height.  :(

On the other hand, proportionately I have long legs and shorter arms so we almost had to go with a shorter stem.   Not transitioning so I'm still on male/unisex bike but I suspect that other than the saddle, women's specific fit might actually work out ok for me.

The main thing I've found cycling is that I've lost most of my explosiveness due to HRT and middle age.   Spinning up hills is so much easier than trying to stand and grind a bigger cog.  Definitely down at least 11% on power compared to my peers in age group.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

kaitylynn

Hey Luna!  Happy riding for sure!

Yeah, I think I used to have more muscle and less...padding...in the posterior and found one of my boxed up saddles that actually feels pretty nice.  Just using the trainer so far, averaging about 13mph over an hour and my body seems just fine with it.  Used to average much higher, but the muscle changes and time off bike have taken a toll.  I do find that I perspire very differently with the change so far.  It is interesting and I am wondering what it will mean once I roll out on to the highway.

Aside from boobs and my butt, I think that I would simply fit in as an andro rider.  Not in to makeup if I am going to sweat and not too concerned about appearing feminine whole sputtering about.  Will be interesting to see how I am perceived.

Hope you are having a most wonderful day and thanks for the reply!
Katherine Lynn M.

•  

Niki Knight

Hi Kaytylynn, Glad to hear your back on the bike. Im a firm believer in staying in shape.

Im in western canada close to the mountains and still do some riding. Im pretty skinny and have only been on HRT for 3.5 months. Haven't seen change in the butt yet, I hope to..

Curious though. I also do a lot of backcountry skiing and skinning. I am starting to find my strength is down a bit from what it use to be. Not significant but some. The other thing I find now is my cardio is starting to change and find it more difficult to breathe when pushing it hard. I assume this will be a long term effect and I'm prepared for it so not a big deal. Drinking a lot more water as well which is from the Spiro Im sure but hydration now is something I have to watch more.

Would like to hear how things have effected you and what your expecting in the future.

Huggs Niki Marie
  •  

luna nyan

Yup, it's the spiro - makes you thirsty and want to go more as well!!   I had bad cramping issues with spiro that pretty much disappeared after I stopped it.

Mind you being able to eat more bananas again probably helped ;)

Niki - you will find that endurance may become somewhat. harder due to lowering of haematocrit and loss of muscle mass over time.
  •  

Valkyrie_2

I've always found women's saddles more comfortable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

kaitylynn

Been a while now since I started back again and I have found a saddle that seems to fit pretty well.  I can pedal for 30 minutes without any hot spots, so this one might be it.

I am only pedaling 30 minutes a day, usually in the evenings.  I am using my trainer, so no road conditions to contend with...but having to focus on things to keep the mind occupied.  Going to stretch out this weekend and ride Del Dios Highway as I think I have my body ready for it and the bike is tuned up again.  :)
Katherine Lynn M.

•  

Dani

I have found that a good pair of padded cycling shorts helps a lot.
  •  

kaitylynn

Yep on the cycling shorts, though I ride bibs mostly.  Everything seems to stay put and the over the shoulder part holds my HRM in place well.
Katherine Lynn M.

•  

luna nyan

Trying out bibs for the first time - not sure what to make of them.  :)
Most certainly the chamois stays in place better, but the front straps seem to sit a bit awkwardly over the girls lol
  •  

kaitylynn

Hey Luna!  I find that SOME bibs cut for women take in to account that we actually might have boobs...most seem to center the straps though and that is a pressure point without a sports bra that squishes the chest together.  I have used Pearl Izumi, Castelli and Performance branded bibs and found the Castelli to fit me the best in my current form.

These are the ones I am using now, the Aero Free Race.  A bit pricey, but I have a similar bib that has 3 seasons on it (still in service) and they feel about the same in terms of material build.
Katherine Lynn M.

•