Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A question on passing in general

Started by BriannaF, April 16, 2017, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BriannaF

Hi there!

I've transitioned about 2 years ago and think sometime in the last year with the combination of FFS and hormones and lots of voice lessons, that I began passing, but...

How do I know for sure if I pass?

I know that's a silly question, and I understand that this is all subjective - that I might be passing to one person but not to another - but I only ever get "ma'am" or "miss" or when out with friends, "ladies", and never seem to get any judging stares or confused looks anymore like when I first started transition, unless it is by other females likely on a day where I dress a bit lazier than I normally do (girl's gotta wear hoodies and jeans sometimes...). But even on hoodie/jean days I still get ma'am'ed all the time.

I live in a rather liberal part of the US, so I often worry that proper gendering and smiles are a sign of kindness more so than viewing me as any other female, but perhaps this is just something I have to get over and stop being so worried that this could be a possibility?

How did other people deal with this sort of blurry line of passing vs. not passing? I've only been told to stop caring about what others think, but I can't manage to have this overall fear that I might not actually be passing yet.

Thanks!
  •  

kittenpower

There's really no way to know for sure whether someone can tell you are trans or not unless they misgender you or something. Personally I just assume some people can tell I am trans, some can't, and some wonder, but as long as I'm treated the same as any other woman, and I'm not misgendered, then I am happy with that. 😊
  •  

BriannaF

Quote from: kittenpower on April 16, 2017, 11:53:55 PM
as long as I'm treated the same as any other woman, and I'm not misgendered, then I am happy with that. 😊

Guess that's the best way to look at it. Perhaps I just need more time to get that attitude too...

I don't think I've been misgendered and I have the occasional guy holding a door for me or staring at my chest when talking to me, so I know there are cues that I am... I guess no matter how great it all feels, its just hard to accept that I'm passing yet, because it is no new...

Thank you for the reply!
  •  

stephaniec

You can go insane worrying about it. The. Best thing you can do is reach down inside and be.sure this is what you want.
  •  

Brooke

One of the tests I use on occasion is to go out in a gender neutral outfit, no feminine accessories such as jewelry or purse. No makeup. Every time lately I've done that it's usually because of errands and don't want to "pretty up".

The times I've done that and haven't passed- earlier in my transition- were tough emotionally, so warning there.

You can definitely look for social cues, as you stated above with doors and eye focal point.

I also pay attention to if other women are open, conversational, friendly etc. I noticed that when I'm not passing other women are much more closed off.

I also pay attention to topics of conversation or questions.
For example I was at a new doctor's office and they were looking at my meds. Asked if the hormones were for birth control. Comments like that definitely convince me that I'm passing.

I will agree with others as well. If you're being treated with respect, being gendered appropriately, and feel safe I would say don't worry about it.

~Brooke~
  •