Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"Non-Binary Gender Variant" as our official real life designation

Started by RebeccaFog, November 19, 2007, 11:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we use "Non-Binary Gender Variant" as our official designation rather than other terms such as 'androgyne' or genderqueer'?

Yes
12 (80%)
No
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

RebeccaFog

That's a very good point, Brede.

Ideally, I would like to change the medical community.  Get the therapists and the medical and researchers to begin thinking of us in real terms.  That's why I liked the NBGV thing.  The term seems like it would be more useful amongst professionals. 
   I also was looking for a way to prevent friction for those amongst us who feel left out or slighted by the terms 'genderqueer' or 'androgyne'.

When showing or marketing ourselves to the public (another scheme of mine) I figured using the already popular terms would make sense.  But then it's an 'every person for their-self' world anyway.  People deserve to speak of themselves in whatever way is most comfortable for them.

One goal.  One million paths.

I almost forgot - one of the driving needs for a good strong common language is so that we can approach the media, the medical community, and the politicians with a stronger, more unified front rather than the kind of fractured thing we seem to have going on now.

I hope I said this right.
  •