Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Republican lawmaker: There’s a ‘distinction’ between gays and human beings

Started by AnneK, May 12, 2017, 08:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneK

Republican lawmaker there's a distinction between gays and human beings

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/11/republican-lawmaker-theres-a-distinction-between-gays-and-human-beings/

Pink News/By Nick Duffy    05/11/2017
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Deborah

Any appropriate comment to this will just land me in trouble. 

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

HappyMoni

I often wonder what percentage of the hate mongering politicians like this actually believe their venomous, verbal idiocy, or are they just greedy to get elected and willing to sell their souls to do so.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

RobynD

Bigotry on that level is basically hate speech. Do not forget that there is a segment of our culture that is scared to death to lose power and privilege and they see it happening around them. To them, we represent one of the forces of progress that they are so very afraid of.

•  

staciM

They wouldn't be saying those things if their "constituents" (a-holes) didn't eat it up.  The politicians are merely a figurehead for a large group of hatred...and ignorance.

Enter comment comparing this republican representative to a lizard with an especially impaired IQ.
- Staci -
  •  

Deborah

On the other hand, if you take the scriptures literally, as many evangelicals do, then what he said is perfectly reasonable.  So, there is the problem.  It's the book.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

AnneK

Here's what he's claiming as justification:

Quote"When you look at the tenets of religion, of the Bible, of the Qu'ran, of other religions, there is a distinction between homosexuality and just being a human being."
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Janes Groove

What he's saying is not that different than social media and most comments sections.

He's just putting a face to what A LOT of people actually think.

Politicians try to get votes. It's their raison d'etre.

•  

SailorMars1994

Yup. Seeing what is happening in America these past 2 years or so has made me ever more happier to be a Canadian. So greatful in fact I shall kiss this very ground *kisses ground*
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

AnneK

QuotePoliticians try to get votes. It's their raison d'etre.

However, it seems to be primarily a Republican problem.  Something similar happened in Canada, with the previous, Conservative government under Stephen Harper.  He's a fundamentalist christian, who tried to impose some of his nonsense on Canada.  He particularly went after scientific research that challenged his beliefs, religious and other.  A current candidate to replace him as leader of the Conservative party, Kellie Leich, wants to impose "Canadian values" that are similar to what Trump wants.

The Conservative party in Canada is comparable to the Republicans.  Years ago, they were a responsible party, but got taken over by the hard right (wrong?) and religious groups.  Same disastrous policies as the Republicans favour.

•  

Laurie

This is another story I shall refrain from commenting on here. I will not get in trouble over it on this site. I would caution others to be careful too.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

SophieD

Editorial: Intolerance in Missouri — lawmaker says there's a 'distinction between homosexuality and just being a human being'

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article149595284.html?fb_comment_id=fbc_1677900092223401_1678946095452134_1678946095452134

Kansas City Star; May 09, 2017 6:13 PM; by By The Kansas City Star editorial board

But what business wants to operate in a state that tolerates discrimination? Or a state where a representative thinks gays and lesbians are less than human?

The states that grow in the 21st century will be those that show tolerance, acceptance and intelligence. Missouri's lawmakers are sending a clear signal this state is not any of those things.

I realize that the trend in recent months has been kind of negative, but I still hope that the attitude of enlightened economic self-interest (as expressed above) will motivate state legislatures to at least stop promoting policies that create permissive environments for homo- and transphobia.  Gotta have hope, right?
  •  

ainsley

Ah, my fabulous State of Missouri political leaders.  I am so glad I live here and have wise and learned leaders like this to represent me in our House of Representatives.  It is so much in line with the thinking of our State citizens and makes me proud to be a Missourian. 
::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

SailorMars1994

Quote from: AnneK on May 12, 2017, 10:10:47 PM
However, it seems to be primarily a Republican problem.  Something similar happened in Canada, with the previous, Conservative government under Stephen Harper.  He's a fundamentalist christian, who tried to impose some of his nonsense on Canada.  He particularly went after scientific research that challenged his beliefs, religious and other.  A current candidate to replace him as leader of the Conservative party, Kellie Leich, wants to impose "Canadian values" that are similar to what Trump wants.

The Conservative party in Canada is comparable to the Republicans.  Years ago, they were a responsible party, but got taken over by the hard right (wrong?) and religious groups.  Same disastrous policies as the Republicans favour.

Yes and no Anne. There are some bad apples in the Conservative party like you mentioned. But comparing them to the Republicans is a bit harsh. I mean Michael Chong is an old fashion Progressive Conservative (not part of the old Alliance party). Other reasonable enough ones are Lisa Raitt, John Baird,Michelle Rempel and Larry McGuire.
<3
  •  

AnneK

And you could say there are some decent Republicans too.  But what is the overall tone of the parties, on either side of the border?  Fortunately, with Harper gone, the Conservatives aren't as bad as they were.

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: staciM on May 12, 2017, 06:52:56 PM
They wouldn't be saying those things if their "constituents" (a-holes) didn't eat it up.  The politicians are merely a figurehead for a large group of hatred...and ignorance.
It's a bit of chicken-and-egg.  A lot of "regular people" are able to justify outrageous beliefs because celebrities (i.e. politicians in this case) voice them.  If they heard more of their fellow citizens and less of their politicians, they would find it harder to get away with expressing those views.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 14, 2017, 10:33:03 AM
It's a bit of chicken-and-egg.  A lot of "regular people" are able to justify outrageous beliefs because celebrities (i.e. politicians in this case) voice them.  If they heard more of their fellow citizens and less of their politicians, they would find it harder to get away with expressing those views.

Exactly!  Excellent point and perspective.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

AnneK

QuoteA lot of "regular people" are able to justify outrageous beliefs because celebrities

It's not just celebrities.  Look at how many, such as that lawmaker, who use religion to justify their bigotry.

•  

SailorMars1994

Quote from: AnneK on May 13, 2017, 01:46:13 PM
And you could say there are some decent Republicans too.  But what is the overall tone of the parties, on either side of the border?  Fortunately, with Harper gone, the Conservatives aren't as bad as they were.

Very much agreed!
<3
  •  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

I live in Missouri, and didn't know just how asinine this state is until I read that article. Personally I think people like Brattin should be tarred and feathered, locked in the stocks for about 6 weeks, fed only 2 slices of bread and a cup of water every day, then taken to an uninhabited island, thrown deep into a cave, then let them see just how inhuman it is to be homosexual, and let them try to figure out why their god would allow such a thing to happen to them. The harshest punishment is required here.

I'm about to start looking at real estate in Canada. Again.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•