Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Weight loss effects on how clothing fits

Started by Brooke, May 27, 2017, 12:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

I am wondering how others have gotten a proper fit for gender appropriate clothes after losing a significant amount of weight.

Contributing factors
Bone structure
HRT/fat redistribution
Original location of your primary fat deposits
Any extra skin left over after weight loss.
The different fit/expectations of gender specific clothes. I.e.  If you have fat, where will it be located.

For instance. I lost a little over 100 lbs in the past couple of years going from 245 to 135. HRT started about a year ago, with transitional dosages being reached around six months ago.

Most of my weight was carried on my belly. Now that I've lost the weight the extra skin on my belly hangs over, much like a typical male beer belly.  That would not be an issue with male pants as most are meant to fit below the hips.

What I have issues with is most women's jeans I've found fit everywhere else nicely, except the waist. They seem to be meant  to button about 1/2" above where the extra skin hangs over, however almost never stay put, i.e. Slips down below the hips, even with a tightly cinched belt.

The results of this is that once they are below the hips, I have an extra couple of inches and a weird/loose fit around the crotch and butt.

It seems like there is a full size difference between where they should button, and where they end up resting.

Any advice would be super helpful.

I've tried wearing a control cami to eliminate the huge difference between the two areas/create one smooth surface without any hard edges. Kinda works but can't do that with every outfit, and they are super warm. Not the best for Arizona summer heat.

Thanks!

~Brooke~
  •  

Gertrude

Pants seem to be low waisted for the last few years. I hope it changes, it'll aggravate this. There's always surgery to remove the skin, but it's usually elective and insurance doesn't usually cover it. I know there are clothing companies that do custom work, like EShakti. Maybe you could look there. Another place for custom clothes is Etsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Dani

I feel your pain.

I lost over 100 pounds and started HRT about half way through the weight loss. I had so much loose skin in the pelvic area, I had to get a tummy tuck. I have a consult for a thigh lift as well. There is no way around this. Your clothes will not fit properly until you get the excess skin removed.

Until you can do the tummy tuck, you might want to look at foundation garments. Girdles can hide a number of problems. Get one that goes up high, over the waist, preferably up to the bra band. If the thighs are a problem, then get one that goes down to mid thigh or even to the ankles.
  •  

Brooke

Good idea on the custom work.

I am definitely considering a tummy tuck, but want to wait a bit. I have fairly good skin, and am not too terribly old. Considering it's been less than a year, I figured I'll wait awhile longer. I've seen stats saying between 2-7 years for max benefit. My dad who is a family practice doctor thought there was a good chance I'd be completely normal in a couple years. My electrolysis tech had also recently lost a similar amount of weight. She ended up getting a tummy tuck, but did state that I have far less extra skin than she did, so we shall see.

Still I want to get the tummy tuck before GCS to rule out positional changes of the vagina.

I do have a waist trainer, but I don't think it's high enough, skin just ends up bunched up in the gap between the bra and waist trainer.

Dani, if you used girdles, do you have any recommendations on brand/type?

Fortunately my thighs aren't too bad, my sister actually says I have better legs than she does for shorts, dresses and skirts. Haha.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks!

~Brooke~
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Brooke on May 27, 2017, 02:53:24 PM

Dani, if you used girdles, do you have any recommendations on brand/type?

Any substantially constructed girdle will work. My experience with Spanx is that it only lasted a few weeks before falling apart. Anything made with Lycra requires gentle washing and drying without added heat.

Hanes.com is a good place to go for internet purchase. But to get a good fit, you really need to go to a lingerie shop and get a personal fitting.
  •  

Cimara

Brooke and Dani, big congratulations to you both. Losing weight is not any easy thing for women at all. It's hard for me to lose 10 pounds. You should be very proud of yourselves.
Hugs
Born 1989
Transitioned 2001
Began hrt 2001
  •