Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Orchiectomy cost and concerns

Started by Tracey, June 01, 2017, 10:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris8080

Thanks Faith.  :angel: I went into it without knowing either if the insurance would pay or have an idea what the cost could turn out to be. Didn't care, those things had to go and if I got strapped with a big bill I would just have to pay it off as I could. Insurance has come through though, will be 8 weeks come Thursday but they finally paid.

One of the final two surgery/hospital bills came through today leaving this much unpaid so far by Blue Cross . . .

Insurance balance $2.82 (Professional Services)
Patient Balance $0.00

That's it for the surgery/hospital bill right now, Blue cross still owes two dollars and eighty two cents.  ;D

The primary insurance has paid on the post-op office visit leaving an $88 bill for Blue Cross. That appointment was 3 weeks after surgery so it will probably another 3 weeks from now before Blue cross gets to that. They have paid on every office visit so far so no reason to think they won't now. Just typically slow.

My insurance has also been paying all the costs for the HRT too. I've never checked with them to find out if they cover GRS. Given my age it's pretty doubtful I'll ever get to that even if they do cover it. Right now after waiting decades the progress made this year with the HRT and orchi is wonderful and I'm pretty content. Will sit back and see what the next year or so brings.
  •  

Devlyn

It's been four months and I have some updates. All of the swelling and hard knots have disappeared, the scrotum has drawn up and is just a small flap of skin. But that's not the kind of update we're here for. I made the rounds of my doctor and surgeon's offices today dropping off boxes of Godiva chocolates as thanks for the life changing work they did for me this year. My last stop was the surgery center, and in exchange for a box of chocolates, I got a big hug from a recovery nurse....and these. The recovery room cookies.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 11, 2017, 04:08:12 PM
It's been four months and I have some updates. All of the swelling and hard knots have disappeared, the scrotum has drawn up and is just a small flap of skin. But that's not the kind of update we're here for. I made the rounds of my doctor and surgeon's offices today dropping off boxes of Godiva chocolates as thanks for the life changing work they did for me this year. My last stop was the surgery center, and in exchange for a box of chocolates, I got a big hug from a recovery nurse....and these. The recovery room cookies.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

Lovely thing to do and I know that they would really appreciate your thanks and kindness but I do have a question. Did the cookies contain a warning that they may contain...traces of chocolate chips?

•  

Devlyn

The cookies came five minutes after waking up from general anesthesia, they could have told me I was eating wedding cake and I would have believed it!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

wytes

I had an Orchiectomy with Dr. Alter within the past week.

Total cost, including surgery room costs, was $7000 even.   Was a bit erked, because was originally told $6500, but a two months later when I setup it the surgery costs went up.

other notes: By the time I wandered across Dr. Alter I was just grateful to find someone who would do it.  My other option was a guy in Chicago who quoted me like $6500, and the original doctor I tried to line up in WI went sideways on me.
  •  

Leslie601

That seems very high, I only paid Dr. Greenwald in Tampa $3,500.

L
  •  

wytes

Out of curiosity, how long ago was that?
  •  

Leslie601

•  

Chris8080

wytes cost is some higher than mine but not radically so, total medical/hospital costs on mine was $6500. Very fortunate for me is that insurance covered every dime of it, I didn't even have a co-pay. There were other costs of course, several visits with my gender counselor and a psychologist, travel & hotel expenses etc.
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: wytes on December 29, 2017, 03:26:11 AM
I had an Orchiectomy with Dr. Alter within the past week.

Total cost, including surgery room costs, was $7000 even.   Was a bit erked, because was originally told $6500, but a two months later when I setup it the surgery costs went up.

other notes: By the time I wandered across Dr. Alter I was just grateful to find someone who would do it.  My other option was a guy in Chicago who quoted me like $6500, and the original doctor I tried to line up in WI went sideways on me.

Hi  Wytes,

I'm Laurie. I see that you are new here. So please let me say, Welcome To Susan's Place! Come on in and take a good look around.  Perhaps I can even get you to hop on over to the Introductions Thread and  create a post to tell us a little bit more about yourself so we can get to know you a little better and greet you properly. I'll add some links and information below that can help you get more out of our site. Please take time to become familiar with them especially the RED one as we are always getting questions that are answered there.

Laurie
Global Moderator
Laurie@susans.org

Things that you should read

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Devlyn

You know how sometimes you're in the middle of a bunch of stuff and an important occasion just slips right by unnoticed? Well, today is my one year, nine days orchiectomy anniversary!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  •  

josie76

Quote from: Devlyn on September 17, 2018, 09:29:13 PM
You know how sometimes you're in the middle of a bunch of stuff and an important occasion just slips right by unnoticed? Well, today is my one year, nine days orchiectomy anniversary!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well congrats on you no T anniversary. I've been T free since late April of this year.

My final out of pocket was 0. My urologist made the case for medical nescesity based on testicular pains. I had several years of that along with the sonograms showing nothing ever found. This urologist was more expensive as was the hospitals surgical center. The end bill to my insurances was near $20,000. If I had the cash, the other urologist would have done it self pay for under $4,000. Crazy what happens when a hospital is involved but I can't complain. Insurance paid it all.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•