Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Makeup shelf life?

Started by Shy, June 22, 2017, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shy

How often to do you girls replace your makeup? I hear mascara only has a 3 month shelf life before it gets a bit dodgy.
Is that true?

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

Dena

Mascara is the bad one and I stopped using it. The reason is because it's moist and a breeding ground for bacteria. I had several rounds of conjunctivitis before I figured out it was being caused by the mascara. After I stopped using it, I have only had one round of it in years. If you're using mascara, don't attempt to get extras life out of the container. Once you use it, you started the bacteria so discard it before it becomes a problem.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Dusty

There's a little jar icon on the back of all cosmetics. The number in the jar is how many months it's still good. Mascara is between 3-6 months because of all the bacteria from your eyelashes.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Shy on June 22, 2017, 04:01:35 PM
How often to do you girls replace your makeup? I hear mascara only has a 3 month shelf life before it gets a bit dodgy.
Is that true?

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie

HI SADIE!!

You're alive! I was starting to wonder again. Very happy to see you here posting again. 

As for mascara I'm the risky one. I use it so infrequently it is sometimes too dry to use again. It gets awful expensive if I have to replace it often. For me single use mascaras would be good hmmmmm.

I've see reports on TV where all make up has limited time frames to use them.

Hugs,
   Laura

PS Sadie, quit disappearing will you? We want you here participating.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Dee Marshall

Also, whether an eye problem is caused by your mascara or not, once you get an eye infection throw out your mascara. If you don't your next one will certainly be caused by it!

:

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!

Think outside the voice box!

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

BioWoman

I have to be honest I am pretty bad when it comes to make up and shelf life, however when it comes to EYE make up I only keep my mascara for a month. No longer. I have never had any issues with bacteria infections. As for eyeliner I usually use it fairly quickly before it gets old and I replace when I run out. I clean my foundation brushes everytime I use them. I only wear foundation when I go out for a special occasion. Every day wear? Nope.
  •  

Lady Lisandra

I usually replace my makeup when it runs out. I don't wear it everyday, so that doesn't happen very often. I've been using the same base for almost a year, the same for eyeliner and lipstick. As for mascara, I have yet to buy one. I always steal some from my mom or my girlfriend  ;D.
- Lis -
  •  

Dee Marshall

Borrowing mascara is dangerous. You can spread infections that way. Styes and conjunctivitis are no fun!

:

Think outside the voice box!

•  

Quinn_Elizabeth

Quote from: Lady Lisandra on August 04, 2017, 08:49:12 PM
I usually replace my makeup when it runs out. I don't wear it everyday, so that doesn't happen very often. I've been using the same base for almost a year, the same for eyeliner and lipstick. As for mascara, I have yet to buy one. I always steal some from my mom or my girlfriend  ;D.

Yeah! Definitely don't want to be sharing mascara. The area that the lashes grow out of is a mucus membrane and can give you an eye infection pretty easily.
I'm training currently to be a makeup artist, and if you go to use mascara on a client you have to either use a disposable spoolie wand, or a CLEAN mascara application brush. Never from the wand.
Cream products like mascara, foundations with an applicator, and tubed concealers can harbor bacteria!
ELF Cosmetics sells a mascara for $0.89 that you can get if you want to have your own but don't want to spend a lot. ☺️

As far as the shelf life thing goes, like the other ladies said, there is a little image of a jar on the back of cosmetics with the number that equals the amount of months the product is good for.
Mascara will stink if it has gone bad. But I tend to use mine up before it gets to that point. lol

-Quinn💖

•