Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

San Francisco TransMarch 2017

Started by Michelle_P, June 23, 2017, 11:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

The big TransMarch event was today. The event is scheduled every year just before the big Pride weekend. It consists of a huge rally in Dolores Park followed by a march downtown over major streets to the site of the Comptons Cafeteria riot 51 years ago.

The Cafeteria was a hangout for drag performers, trans sex workers, and the small trans community. That riot, three years before Stonewall, was started when a transgender woman, tired of being harassed by police for the horrible crime of being her authentic self, lobbed a coffee cup at the cops.

The area around the former Comptons Cafeteria is the first historical district in the country dedicated to trans history.

We marched in memory of that riot, and to protest attempts to turn back the clock and force us back into the closet.

There was a large crowd in the park that grew into the afternoon.

At 6 PM we firmed up and started the march.

The march proceeded down Market st into the heart of San Francisco.

Marchers packed Taylor St from Turk at the old Cafeteria site back to Market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Raell

Wonderful! Makes me feel better to see how far we have come..at least in public acceptance.
  •  

Michelle_P

It's an amazing sight.  Over 7,000 transgender men and women along with their allies, on the move, chanting protest themes and singing, waving signs and banners brings cheer to my heart.

I'm sad that we are still doing this 51 years after the first riots where we demanded the right to be our authentic selves without being arrested or involuntarily committed.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Janes Groove

That looks like an amazing experience. I wish I was there.
San Francisco is such a beautiful city and a very important place in transgender history.
Can you imagine such a march in every major US city?
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Jane Emily on June 24, 2017, 10:13:00 AM
That looks like an amazing experience. I wish I was there.
San Francisco is such a beautiful city and a very important place in transgender history.
Can you imagine such a march in every major US city?
Why CAN'T we do it in every city?  I'm sure it can be done, right? 

Unfortunately, I suck at organizing.  I'm more an idea man.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

SadieBlake

Goodness do I wish I could have Ben there with you, looks like an amazing time :-).

I do love San Francisco, wonderful to have our own event somewhere. I was sad to miss pride this year but I just wasn't far along enough in recovery.

Hugs and as ever best wishes.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: SadieBlake on June 25, 2017, 02:20:52 AM
Goodness do I wish I could have Ben there with you, looks like an amazing time :-).

I do love San Francisco, wonderful to have our own event somewhere. I was sad to miss pride this year but I just wasn't far along enough in recovery.

Hugs and as ever best wishes.

Hey, maybe you can make it to a future TransMarch.  I think we'll be doing this for a long time, unfortunately.

•