Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

First voice therapy session scheduled

Started by Kendra, June 26, 2017, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendra

Two month waiting list for voice therapist Sandy Hirsch in Seattle http://givevoice.com/ - I am so excited, got a spot for this Thursday.  She has co-authored clinical books on this topic. 

When I spoke to her briefly by phone she made an interesting comment - it's not a requirement, but she prefers working with transgender clients that are "spending at least one third of their time in their desired gender presentation."  I don't know if her hint/request is because it's an indication of how committed someone is to their transition.  Or maybe she has found people have an easier time developing their own voice when the client can literally see themselves as their desired gender.

I am aware successful formal voice training requires a serious amount of practice.  I started violin at age 6 and landed a University of Washington music scholarship in 1979, so I know what practice is all about  :-)

Voice is my number one gender dysphoria.  I'd feel better with several physical changes/improvements (and I will do that), but now that I've permanently eliminated facial hair I believe my biggest gender-stumble is my voice.  I don't know if will succeed but it feels really good to be doing something about it. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

SophieD

Good luck!  I have an intake interview with the new Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health in two weeks, with the goal of going into voice therapy there.  It will be interesting .. I know little about what therapy can achieve.
  •