Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

welcome posts

Started by Alexthecat, July 27, 2017, 02:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexthecat

Can the mods that post the rules and links and such welcoming new members do that in PM to them? It takes up more page than the replies and is distracting from the topic to see the same thing over and over again in the board.

Plus I don't ever recall seeing it posted when I made my first posts. Very few people actually reply back to those posts acknowledging that they saw it.

•  

Cindy

Quote from: Alexthecat on July 27, 2017, 02:15:02 AM
Can the mods that post the rules and links and such welcoming new members do that in PM to them? It takes up more page than the replies and is distracting from the topic to see the same thing over and over again in the board.

Plus I don't ever recall seeing it posted when I made my first posts. Very few people actually reply back to those posts acknowledging that they saw it.

Hi Alex, we post the greeting and rules so that the new member is aware of the rules and how to access features. When they read the instructions they note that they cannot receive or send a PM for 15 posts. This is a security feature to prevent troll attacks and we get quite a few. Protecting our members from trolls sending them abusive PM's is something the Mods look after.
We realise that some people don't read the intro, we know because they often respond after we post the intro and ask 'how to post an avatar' that of course is also explained in the intro post we send them.
The staff live in hope that some people do read the intro and make life easier for themselves but often it is a case of 'when all else fails read the instructions'.
I also check that people get a greeting, I can't check every new member and of course I have limited staff who already work way too hard and too long hours to keep the members safe.

Cindy

•  

Devlyn

Well, Alex, a quick look at your stats says you've never posted in the Introductions area, that's where a new member is usually given the welcome links. Sometimes people slip through the cracks. As you've obviously seen the links and your question indicates you find them annoying, I won't repost them here. Or maybe I will.  >:-)  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •