Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Will self medicating affect GIC referral?

Started by uktransgirl, July 29, 2017, 04:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uktransgirl

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 yr old male who identifies as female.

After seeing a counsellor for a few months I have come to terms with the fact that I want to transition. I have booked an appointment with a private GIC in London for december (earliest I can get) and will hopefully receive a HRT referral.

Recently I have started taking a low dose of spiro and estradiol  each day. I'm about 3 weeks in and find the effects are calming and alleviating my dysphoria. Although this could be a placebo.
I currently plan to continue this dose until my GIC appointment in December. I have also been asked to get some bloodwork tests done closer to the appointment.

My only worry is whether or not a history of self medding will prevent/stall me getting a HRT referral from the GIC. I assume the blood tests will make it pretty clear that I have been taking something and I plan to be completely upfront about it anyway.

Any advice is appreciated!

<no dosages please>
  •  

LizK

Dear Uktransgirl

Welcome to Susan's

I am in Australia so am not able to answer your question but keep checking back as I am sure other will chime in with a response. Please feel free to drop by our Introduction Forum and tell us a little more about yourself. 

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Megan.

Self-medding ,  while not to be advised,  is very common,  and the GIC should  not hold it against you. I did a low-dose trial myself between GIC appointments,  told the consultant and they didn't even seem to care. Honesty with the medical professionals will enable them to help you best,  good luck. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Dani

Self medication is common with people who have with gender dysphoria. I will admit to doing this myself. However, I was intelligent enough to seek professional counseling soon there after.

There should be no problems with herbal supplements, but many of us find that they are a waste of money and time. Taking prescription medication obtained without proper supervision, gave me a tremendous feeling of guilt. I knew better.  I never felt so good as when, after seeing an Endocrinologist, I first started my prescribed hormone and anti-androgen therapy.

The calming effects you felt when taking Estradiol are very similar to the feelings I had when I did the same. Welcome to the club.
  •  

Charlotte F

Quote from: uktransgirl on July 29, 2017, 04:56:29 AM
My only worry is whether or not a history of self medding will prevent/stall me getting a HRT referral from the GIC. I assume the blood tests will make it pretty clear that I have been taking something and I plan to be completely upfront about it anyway.

Hi - my understanding of the current NHS guidelines is that doctors are advised to take over the prescribing of medication to transgender patients that are self-medicating as quickly as possible.  The idea being that it is far safer for them to be able to monitor health and to avoid problems with medication obtained from unofficial sources.  I would expect that any private GIC would also follow this principle

Do be careful though with what you take and where you buy it from
  •