Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

A question for the Australian members

Started by Julia1996, August 13, 2017, 06:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

I want to ask if Aussies really eat kangaroo?  My boyfriend said he's eaten kangaroo and Emu. Ok, I can see eating Emu maybe but I'm wondering if he's just messing with me about eating a kangaroo.  But I don't know with Australians. He gave me vegemite on toast once. OMG! Nasty! I wanted to scrub my tongue with a brillo pad after tasting that stuff. And he calls cookies biscuts. The first time he asked if I had biscuits I couldn't figure out why he wanted to eat biscuits while we were watching a movie.
Julia
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

kelly_aus

Yes, we eat kangaroo in Australia. It's pretty good, highish in protein and very lean. Tasty too. I didn't think much of emu or possum and I think even a hungry dog would pass on wombat. lol

They breed like rabbits and often get to plague numbers in some regions. Culling them relieves ecological issues and provides meat and skins.
  •  

Julia1996

Oh. But they are so cute! I thought a kangaroo would maybe be a good pet but my bf says they look really cute but they are really mean animals. I didn't know there were enough to cause problems. Wombat? I have like no idea what that is. Lol
Julia
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: Julia1996 on August 13, 2017, 06:55:51 PM
Oh. But they are so cute! I thought a kangaroo would maybe be a good pet but my bf says they look really cute but they are really mean animals. I didn't know there were enough to cause problems. Wombat? I have like no idea what that is. Lol
Julia

Yeah, kangaroos can be very mean. I've heard of people having wallabies as pets - they are kind of like a small kangaroo, just less attitude.

Now, a wombat is a short, stout animal that is basically furry cement. They are cute enough, just don't hit one with your car - the car will always be the loser.
  •  

Dena

Kangaroo skin? I have some of that in the leather collection and it wears like iron. Because of the cost, we were using it for small items like card holders that aren't very big but get a bunch of wear. The bigger stuff was made out of cow hide which could be thicker allowing for more wear.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Julia1996 on August 13, 2017, 06:55:51 PM
Julia

On a property I go to we have kangaroos that are well over 6 foot tall. A big male can grab you with their forearms, lean back on their tail, raise their rear legs and tear your belly out. Not to be messed with!

As Kelly said, the meat is good to eat and to be honest the joeys are just as cute as a lamb or a calf and we eat them. I like emu and crocodile as well but they need a nice rich sauce.

But you have to be very careful of dropbears.
  •