Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transparent Season 4? What did you think? (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Started by Allie24, October 05, 2017, 04:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie24

I finished watching Transparent Season 4 and I haven't really come to a full conclusion yet about what I thought.

I do feel like it was the weakest of all the seasons. The episodes were shorter and the pacing a bit too fast. Also, unlike it's previous seasons, it came across as a bit heavy-handed with its politics, which is not something I like seeing in stories, since it takes away from the narrative itself, and the characters. It's like how I felt about Orange is the New Black. Season 4 felt way too political and seemed to turn its characters into pawns to further a message.

There were some really strong scenes, but overall... I don't know. I feel like it could have been done better :/
  •  

Julia1996

I only watched like 3 episodes of transparent. I couldn't relate to the trans character and the show seemed more about the lives of the dysfunctional kids than the main character. Anyway, I love OITNB but I watched Wentworth too and its even better. Wentworth is about an Australian women's prison. They have a trans character too. If you like OITNB you should check out Wentworth.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Allie24

Quote from: Julia1996 on October 05, 2017, 05:11:41 PM
I only watched like 3 episodes of transparent. I couldn't relate to the trans character and the show seemed more about the lives of the dysfunctional kids than the main character. Anyway, I love OITNB but I watched Wentworth too and its even better. Wentworth is about an Australian women's prison. They have a trans character too. If you like OITNB you should check out Wentworth.

Oo, I definitely will. Is Wentworth available on Netflix?

I don't necessarily watch Transparent because it's relatable, I do it moreso because I find its plot compelling. Also, Season 2 and beyond are actually mostly written by other trans people, which I think is pretty neat and adds an extra layer to it. I say give it another go. Also, try watching Six Feet Under, too. That one doesn't have a trans character but it is a fantastic TV show about a family-owned funeral home!
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Allie24 on October 05, 2017, 05:47:29 PM
Oo, I definitely will. Is Wentworth available on Netflix?

I don't necessarily watch Transparent because it's relatable, I do it moreso because I find its plot compelling. Also, Season 2 and beyond are actually mostly written by other trans people, which I think is pretty neat and adds an extra layer to it. I say give it another go. Also, try watching Six Feet Under, too. That one doesn't have a trans character but it is a fantastic TV show about a family-owned funeral home!

Yes, Wentworth is on Netflix. I was wondering about six feet under. Thank you, I will check it out. I'm watching The Returned right now. It's a French show with English subtitles but I really like it so far. It's creepy without them really trying to make it creepy.

I'm waiting for new seasons of Travelers and The 100.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Allie24

Omg there are soo many shows on my list to watch.

I just recently got hooked on The Good Place, about this woman who gets sent to "the good place" by mistake after she dies. It's a cute show from Michael Shur who co-created Parks & Rec (please excuse my namedropping lol)
  •