Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Family court Permission for Hormones in Australia

Started by WafflesALEX, October 11, 2017, 05:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WafflesALEX

Hello, i have a question for fellow Australians regarding hormone replacement therapy i've been fully out since i was just 13 and i got placed on hormone blockers when i was 14. i'm almost at the legal age to start hormone therapy (16) but i've been hearing alot of stuff about the laws being changed so to go on Testosterone/Estrogen you just need: to be out for at least a year (yes), have a diagnosis of GDD (yes) and be over the age of 16 (almost)  is this true because without court i would only need my mums permission but with court both would have to go and my dad is very LGBTphobic (my parents are divorced) i'm asking on here because i dont know when my next gender diversity appointment is so i was wondering if any of you lovely people know?   ;)

•  

LizK

Hi WafflesALEX

Welcome to Susan's

That is a really interesting question but unfortunately not one I know anything about. I am sure one of the guys or gals will be able to point you in the right direction but unfortunately that is not me.

Please feel free to drop by our Introduction Forum and tell us a little more about yourself. 

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

kelly_aus

Currently, Court permission is required for cross sex hormones. Yes, there is talk of this changing, but I've seen nothing that puts any kind of time frame on it.
  •  

Claire_Sydney

The case of Re:Kelvin was heard before the Full Appeal Court of the Family Court of Australia about two weeks ago. It has received prominent coverage in Australia.

The case invites the Court to abdicate its role in determining whether transgender youth are Gillick competent and meet the requirements to commence cross-sex hormones. Of the 160 or so cases that have come before the Court, the Court had always followed the advice of the doctors and mental health professionals. As such, the Court process acts as a barrier to accessing healthcare, which is arguably inhumane. It is both expensive, and slow. Australia is the only country in he world that requires Court approval.

The hearing concluded about two weeks ago. Submissions in support were made by the Commonwealth Attorney General, Agender, and ICLC. Submissions opposing were made by the Department of Family Services.

The Court has reserved its judgement. A quick decision would be one in the next week. A slow one could be 12 weeks.

A positive result would mean you don't need to spend 12 months in Court to access hormones. But you would still be required to prove to mental health professionals that you have the maturity needed to fully understand the consequences of the treatment being proposed.

I hope this helps clarify.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •