Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mindcare, Sydney

Started by jagfel, October 12, 2017, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagfel

Just a warning for anyone who might one day go to Mindcare that they will ONLY use the name on your Medicare card. I booked the appointment under my new name (legally changed), even took my name change papers with me, wrote down my preferred name, and still ended up with them using my birth name because I hadn't had a chance to update my Medicare card. I pass 100% these days but that made no difference either.

•  

AnonyMs

Is that just for the paperwork or everything? It doesn't say much for their ability to do their job.
  •  

jagfel

It covers everything. That will be what the office admins will call you when they talk to you, the name they'll book your appointments under, etc. Telling them that's not your name and that you're going by a different name doesn't make any difference. Only place I've been so far that doesn't respect preferred name, especially a legal one.

The actual psychiatrists aren't too bad once you tell them the right name, it's just the front desk.

Basically just a warning that if you go there without all your paperwork 100% changed you WILL get deadnamed repeatedly.

•  

AnonyMs

There's plenty of psych's in Sydney. Whats the advantage to going to this one?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: jagfel on October 13, 2017, 07:32:49 AM
It covers everything. That will be what the office admins will call you when they talk to you, the name they'll book your appointments under, etc. Telling them that's not your name and that you're going by a different name doesn't make any difference. Only place I've been so far that doesn't respect preferred name, especially a legal one.

The actual psychiatrists aren't too bad once you tell them the right name, it's just the front desk.

Basically just a warning that if you go there without all your paperwork 100% changed you WILL get deadnamed repeatedly.

I managed to convince my GP to use my preferred name before changing my medicare card but I would encourage anyone who is changing names to ensure Medicare is one of the first you do. They cannot change the name they run the bills on because that is how they get paid and if the data does not match then they cannot get paid.

They can however treat you with respect and ensure that your dead name is not used. I suspect they have a system that is capable of letting them use preferred names or they are simply to lazy/unable. There is a requirement for billing correctly but none for disrespect.

Once I changed my Medicare card I had no further issues...it changed the way the system saw me. I still get the occasional one who says when I give them my name..."No I mean the one on your Medicare card" and I always smile as nicely as I can and say "that's the one I gave you dear"

There is no accounting for ignorance...you should not have to put up with it
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •