News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Breitbart Article DefendinG Transgender Ban from Military

Started by Bari Jo, November 05, 2017, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DawnOday

Quote from: Jenntrans on November 13, 2017, 03:57:11 PM
Maybe but the military and the people should not be on the line for elective surgeries.

I hate golf and have no idea how much a day on the greens cost. I could care less.

Look this is the deal. I would love to have had a nose job done by the US Army doctors but that would have been elective surgery to make me more aesthetically appealing. Of course my nose has never been a real problem anyway.

Now if my face would have been messed up by a sniper round then the US Military would be liable but I would not trust them.

Look. Forget all the HRT and SRS and FFS. You need to find a way. I did. But after the military though. Maybe before though too. ??? I was always weird though. Never really fit in as either wholly male or female. ??? >-bleeped-< it was weird because females would tell me >-bleeped-< and males would tell me >-bleeped-<. ::) Jesus Christ. I am different. Well I was kind of "weird" though. :-\

I drove past Joint Base Mccord. What a lovely golf course they have. Do they need it? No. Did the military need to spend $10 million to pay the NFL for it's pre game patriotic demonstrations. No. Does the military need a $20 billion boost with the bulk of it going to mercenary's and contractors? No. Do we need a $20 billion border wall? No. Should we be paying a salary to the likes of Ben Carson, Betty Devos, or the Mercers? No.  Should we give billions to religious organizations though tax exemptions? No  The government spends money needlessly. We are going to be giving tax breaks to billionaires in the trillions of dollars that my granddaughter is going to be stuck with. Funny how everyone wants to praise the military but somehow forget that these transgender members are just as much hero's as any other member of the military. They are putting their lives on the line.

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Deborah

Should the military pay for medical care for all the vets that get sick through their own fault; diabetes, heart disease, cancer?  All mostly preventable by simply not smoking, not overeating, and exercising. 

They do pay for all that self inflicted sickness so why not for this over which we have no control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

DawnOday

When is an elective surgery not an elective. If you happen to be like me, I didn't ask for this it was bestowed upon me by medical malpractice. I've agonized over it for years and thankfully my medical plan has options. It is not an elective if a medical professional recommends it as necessary for mental stability and treatment of dysphoria.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

extraaction

Quote from: Deborah on November 05, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
Here is an abbreviated picture of my service.  Ask him what he sees here that makes me unworthy of a foxhole.  I would like to hear the answer if you can get one.

Either way you cut it, its a physical or mental disability.  I understand the logic
beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes as deep as the soul
If you lack the strength to defend your beliefs, your beliefs aren't worth defending

The greatest gift you can give a demon is pretending it isn't real....
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: extraaction on November 17, 2017, 02:55:56 PM
Either way you cut it, its a physical or mental disability.  I understand the logic
The logic is flawed. Even if it is a disability of some sort it is irrelevant to military service.  That is unless you want to posit that the physically and mentally disabled can qualify as US Army Rangers, one of the most mentally and physically challenging things to do in any Military Service.  There are at least three of us currently here that fit that category, so it is not just a fluke.

If that is someone's contention then they really think very little of our military at all.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Deborah on November 17, 2017, 03:38:37 PM
The logic is flawed. Even if it is a disability of some sort it is irrelevant to military service.  That is unless you want to posit that the physically and mentally disabled can qualify as US Army Rangers, one of the most mentally and physically challenging things to do in any Military Service.  There are at least three of us currently here that fit that category, so it is not just a fluke.

If that is someone's contention then they really think very little of our military at all.

Yes. I am trans and that was always irrelevant to my service. What was relevant was the person to my left and to my right. If I died, no big deal but if they died because of me then a really big deal. I would not have been able to live with myself

Going through basic I got made fun of in the showers for my little "thing". LOL but when people would get exposed for "jacking" all I had to do was "finger". ::)

Army Rangers go through some >-bleeped-<. I mean, does anyone know what they go through mentally and physically? And they don't even go through the worst. SEALS go through some bad ass >-bleeped-< with surf sand in their asses and shivering but that isn't the worst either. The worst will always be the decision you have to make to use deadly force against another human being to save yourself and or others. Eliminating a threat will always be the worst that you will ever have to go through. And yes Center Mass is what you always aim form. There is no shooting a weapon from someone's hand to disarm them and there is no one shot that that will disable them. You keep shooting with a handgun until the threat is eliminated either by death or disarmament and then call the "Meat Wagon".

But if you sign up, you may have to see the eyes. But regardless I did what I had to do and I served and never asked anything. I served because of me not what the Government could do for me. I don't even do the whole VA thing either. I chose to serve 1. Because of me and testing myself and 2. For mine and everyone else's freedom to be who they are. I never ask anything from anyone. If I can't do it on my own the screw it.

I know that sounds a little tough coming from a sissy but... Hey I am trans so... Wow what a paradox. If it makes any difference I am in tears writing this. :embarrassed: When I was in Korea I worked way off post as an American Trans Bargirl. :o
  •  

extraaction

Quote from: Deborah on November 17, 2017, 03:38:37 PM
then they really think very little of our military at all.

Bingo!
beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes as deep as the soul
If you lack the strength to defend your beliefs, your beliefs aren't worth defending

The greatest gift you can give a demon is pretending it isn't real....
  •  

rmaddy

Quote from: Jenntrans on November 17, 2017, 02:46:28 PM

So if you sign up there is a really good chance you may die for your country and everyone, even those that may hate you for who you are. Do not let that stop you. Find a way to get to where you want to be and who you want to be without the Government being involved.

Hyperbole much?  Look, serve if you feel the calling and thanks if you do, but military service doesn't even crack the top ten of most deadly jobs in America in any given year and, in counter distinction to most of those deadly jobs, it offers a kick ass package of benefits.  The question isn't whether the military should provide SRS in isolation of any other considerations, but rather whether comprehensive health benefits ought to include transgender care.
  •  

Laurie

:police:  What started as one of us asking for support to counter negative opinions of a friend has turned from that into a divisive argument between a few site members.   The topic is NOT what your personal choice is for SRS in the military or whether SRS is elective.. This thread will be shut down should this continue.  :police:
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Susan

For the purposes of this site this is the final word on this matter...

QuoteSex Reassignment Surgery Is Effective and Medically Necessary

Surgery - particularly genital surgery - is often the last and the most considered step in the treatment process for gender dysphoria. While many transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming individuals find comfort with their gender identity, role, and expression without surgery, for many others surgery is essential and medically necessary to alleviate their gender dysphoria (Hage & Karim, 2000).

For the latter group, relief from gender dysphoria cannot be achieved without modification of their primary and/or secondary sex characteristics to establish greater congruence with their gender identity. Moreover, surgery can help patients feel more at ease in the presence of sex partners or in venues such as physicians' offices, swimming pools, or health clubs. In some settings, surgery might reduce risk of harm in the event of arrest or search by police or other authorities.

Follow-up studies have shown an undeniable beneficial effect of sex reassignment surgery on postoperative outcomes such as subjective well being, cosmesis, and sexual function (De Cuypere et al., 2005; Gijs & Brewaeys, 2007; Klein & Gorzalka, 2009; Pfäfflin & Junge, 1998). Additional information on the outcomes of surgical treatments are summarized in Appendix D.

and

QuoteIn many places around the world, access to health care for transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people is also limited by a lack of health insurance or other means to pay for needed care. WPATH urges health insurance companies and other third-party payers to cover the medically necessary treatment to alleviate gender dysphoria (American Medical Association, 2008; Anton, 2009; The World Professional Association for Transgender Health, 2008).

Any posts that attempt to contradict that without a major new study being released by valid medical authorities will be moderated if they attempt to suggest otherwise. I personally know that GRS and FFS worked for me.

I also won't have anyone coming to my site and suggesting, obliquely or otherwise; that just because they personally didn't need surgery, that it's not a necessary and required step for others.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

OU812

For the record, anything coming out of Breitbart should be taken with the same level of credibility as The Onion, despite any sanctimonious tone taken by its self-righteous authors. It scares me that people actually think it's journalism.
  •  

Jenntrans

To me it all comes down to an individual's decision. But there is no one size that fits all. Everything I have done in my life has revolved around being transgender and I took a lot of risks in order to be me. I have lost a lot of good job opportunities one which would have paid me a guaranteed 140 grand a year at least whether working or not. That was for the railroad. After the Army then I chose to drive a truck over the road and live in solitude in order to have and wear what I wanted. In that capacity, I could have been head safety officer at a company and turned it down because I would have had to look "professional" and have short hair. Now I live on a hope an prayer that business is good.

Personally I don't feel the need for GRS or FFS or even HRT. But now I feel lucky but it was not always that way. We all are different and have to do what we have to do for ourselves. I never passed as a boy because when I was five people would tell my mom and dad that they had a cute "daughter". ::) I was screwed from the get go and it was hell until I accepted it. Looking back over 50 years or at least 44 years when first memories are active, I feel lucky now but that has not always been the case though.

Being trans and one think I tell everyone is that it will never be easy. Even if it is totally accepted eventually then we have to face ourselves and then decide how far we take it to modify our physical bodies.

So Susan. I am so sorry if I insulted you enough to give me a negative. :embarrassed: The whole point I was trying to make is that everything I chose and even chose to give up has been because I was trans. I have no retirement, I have no nice home and my business profits goes up and down with the price of oil. Sometimes I make really good profits and other times I barely make my own bills. I could have a career that would pay me a very minimum of 140 thousand US dollars per year. I could have a pension and all that. I gave all that up in order to be free to be me. So now I have no certainty. If I wanted FFS or HRT I would pay for it out of pocket. I may have to sell a truck or whatever and that would kill my profits, what little I make from each but if I needed for me to be then I would. So I am really sorry if I offended you or made you angry or anyone else. :P
  •  

Bari Jo

Thanks everyone.  All this really helps me with my ammunition to combat my father's views and my coworkers.  Ironically I have a friend that is an activist, and I've been conversing with her about the #MeToo campaign.  Because of my comments I've been asked to write for her online news outlet, "Real Urban News".  The only topic I would write about is this transgender ban, since it's the only one that really bothers me.  I'm not saying I will, as I have so much on my plate.  If I do though, I'd like to include quotes from this thread, no links, or actual names.  If you don't mind me quoting your responses, please let me know.  I will not use anyone's quotes if I don't get permission.  I'd write as Bari Jo, it's helping me own my transition.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Deborah

You can quote me if I actually said anything quote worthy.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Jenntrans

Look everyone I am totally entitled to VA benefits. I choose not to accept them. I remember the Birthday physicals and all the dental crap. Even after I ETSd I chose not to do them while serving four more years as inactive reserves.

I am glad I did not. My dad had his VA benefits and I have seen this man sew up his own would if he cut himself using alcohol and H2O2 and once he got VA benefits because he was in the Navy during Korea but never saw battle, the VA turned him to someone different. If he got the Hershey Squirts, he had to go to the VA. WHen he sneezed more than once or twice then he needed to go to the VA. He has dementia and most older folks will lose short term memories but with Alzheimer's running in my family and a VA Neurologist instead of using the term Dementia instead of Alzheimer's now he is convinced and he remembers more than I do short term.

So what I see is that PTHD is a bitch. It takes someone that knows and have a lot of experience to treat it and Dissassocitive disorder can be a symptom. Now us older folks probably know who we are but when you are 30 and joined at 18 and spent multiple deployments in a really hot area you may lose touch with reality and need an escape. People handle it different but you have to get totally inside. Hell it may trigger something that is deep within you and it may be a way to escape in order to try and be someone else. It may change your whole personality to another that can't kill but rather nurture.

This is the main reason why I am so scared of the Military doctors and or therapists and or the VA and so on handling the whole trans issue. I have been in some really bad places but I was trans before I ever joined.

Actually if the truth be know I joined to protect the rights of trans even though when I was young didn't enjoy those same rights. I joined to defend the freedoms of people that chose to be different and whatever else. I joined because my best friend was gay and went through >-bleeped-< growing up. I joined because I went through worst >-bleeped-< growing up than he did. Now we have the freedom.

Look I am nothing special. I served right along and suffered right along with other LGBT soldiers and people do find on another so the DADT was not a big deal before DADT.

So the VA is about politics and the President at the time. I hate political agendas. How far you want to transition should be an individual choice and not controlled by any political parties agenda. And that is why I am wary of it. As a matter of fact, fighting along someone else I could care less as long as they have my back and I will have theirs.

When I served it was about college and there we so many people that ended up with broken limbs and turned up pregnant and so on when there was talk of deployment. There were also quite a few that turned out to be gay openly and so on. I went twice yet I was trans. I had to hide it back then and I went twice to Somalia with two weeks in between.

All I am saying is if you join then join to defend the Constitution and Freedom of those that may come behind you. Not for what the Military can do for you. And no I am no big patriot or anything else. I gave 100 dollars per month for the first year contributing to the GI Bill and never even used it.

But if my ass is on the line, I don't care if the person next to me is LGBT, Cis or even the color purple as long as I can depend on them.

OMG I would love to have been able to serve openly with long hair and having to do the Dog Turd like the other women and wearing subdued earrings and so on. But even now would I depend on a VA doctor or even back then a Military Doctor for HRT or SRS or anything else, Hell no. I will pay or find a way to pay for doctors that specialize in Trans issues.

Sorry but that is just my experiences. :embarrassed:
  •  

Jessica Lynne

Quote from: Deborah on November 22, 2017, 11:56:52 AM
You can quote me if I actually said anything quote worthy.

Nothing on the this aggravating thread but I did want to say how cute your new avatar is, Deb! That is all, carry on. lol
  •  

Deborah

Well, the government said when I joined that after 20 years doing whatever they told me to do I'd get a pension and free medical care for life.  So I gave the government those 20 years and did whatever they told me to do.  So I don't feel the least bit guilty for using what they offered for 20 years of service.  I do use it for HRT and even picked up my prescription at no cost at the Army hospital refill clinic just a couple of hours ago.  If they allowed more than that, which they currently don't, I'd use that too without a second thought.

And secondly, maybe the VA is different but the care I and my family receive in The Army hospital right now is excellent.  The doctors are professional and competent and I can always get an appointment with just a few day's notice, or even same day if I have a bad problem.  It was because of an Army doctor and the civilian doctors contracted by TRICARE that my wife is even alive right now after being diagnosed with stomach cancer at an extremely early stage.

I just want to set that record straight that we do get first rate care with the only exception being that transgender care beyond HRT is not yet allowed.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Bari Jo on November 22, 2017, 11:35:36 AM
If I do though, I'd like to include quotes from this thread, no links, or actual names.  If you don't mind me quoting your responses, please let me know.

You can quote me, use my name if you like, it's all OK.

My whole article on the topic is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6f_yxlFYtISkZKVmJyREthY1E

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Bari Jo,

I don't think I said anything particularly note worthy but you are welcome to use it if you want.

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

MaryT

Partly in the hope of steering the topic back in the direction of the OP (hypocritical, I know, as I am usually the biggest culprit),  I would like to say something.

There have probably always been transgender people in the fighting forces.  In the nineteenth century, a famous example was Dr James Barry, Inspector General of Military Hospitals in the British Army.  His rank was equal to Brigadier General.  He is now known to have been FAAB with the name Margaret Ann Bulkley.

There was also Hanna Snell, who in the eighteenth century served in both the British army and marines, and was wounded in combat.  She did not reveal her birth gender until after retiring from the military.

I like, though, what the contemporary Canadian Lt-Cmdr Nicole Lassaline had to say:

"One of the things people always say is, 'Oh, transgender people, oh my! How do you deal with bathrooms?' How much does it cost to put a curtain in a shower cubicle?"
  •