Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Coming Out to my "Faith Community"

Started by FreyaG, November 18, 2017, 09:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreyaG

My priest just emailed to everybody at my church. (We're Episcopal, btw) Tomorrow will be interesting 8):

As your priest, I am privileged to a very special perspective and view of you all, through a lens of Christ's great heart and Christ's love.  Not only from standing up front, from where I can see all of your beautiful faces in a way you cannot see each other--as we seek to draw nearer to God and one another--and you are, indeed, very beautiful, let me assure you.  I am also honored to be invited to a closer walk with some of you as you journey through both joyful and difficult life changes and transitions.  An esteemed member of the St. A's family is currently engaged in one of those transitions and it is both joyful and difficult at the same time.  Let me share something she shared with me a few days ago that touched me deeply.

"When I was a little boy, I prayed to God. I prayed God would make me a girl because I knew I wasn't really a boy, not inside. I didn't want to keep pretending to be a boy because it was hard to pretend all the time. I knew I couldn't go on forever pretending like that. It made me very tired and sad. I wondered why God would want me to be tired and sad every day. But I tried hard not to disappoint God. One morning, after praying like this for many years, I woke up and God had changed me. God had changed my tiredness into courage. God gave me the courage to tell the truth. God gave me the courage to tell people I wasn't a boy, even though it made some people laugh and some people get mad. God's courage has made me happy. God's courage has taught me to love myself. God's courage lets my outside be like my inside. God's courage gives me the gift of honesty. God is Truth. I thank God for giving me the courage to tell the truth. I thank God for giving me the courage to be me. Thank you God, for creating the infinitely complex universe, and for creating infinitely complex me."

As members of the congregation of Christians at St. A's, we make our welcoming embrace of one another unequivocal.  We seek to ally ourselves with Jesus, the "bread of life," who allowed himself to be chosen or taken by God, blessed, broken, and given for the good of others.  It is with the "broken" part that we have the most trouble usually.  But it is precisely there, in our brokenness, that we are able to finally admit how very much we need each other.  We need to be seen for who we are in our deepest selves, and find ourselves welcomed--not in spite of who we are, but simply because we are.  It from this place of acceptance that we can learn to live what (fellow Episcopalian and researcher) Brene Brown calls a wholehearted life, and she points out that, "Our capacity for wholeheartedness can never be greater than our willingness to be brokenhearted." Common sense and life experience teaches us that we do not draw closer to others from our places of strength or success.  Closeness with others comes from being vulnerable to one another, from what might seem to be our brokenness shared.  We do this well at St. A's and yet we are called to more, more wholeheartedness, greater vulnerability.

So when our esteemed member takes the risk to disclose herself as she is, it is an act of radical love, and radical trust.  I know that you all can match her offering with your own love and wholeheartedness, even though at times it may feel awkward, uncomfortable, or whatever--confusing! Jesus made a lot of people pretty uncomfortable, including his followers but it is worth it.  So please welcome into our midst Freya Gilbert, who has been known to us as F_____n until now.  It is an honor and a privilege to do so!  We will transition along with her, and sometimes it will be downright bewildering for us and for her, but it is a joyful transition that Freya and I both invite you to celebrate from now on in our lives together.  Please prayerfully and lovingly welcome Freya as you have F_____n, and know this changed relationship for the great good gift that it is.

Gratefully,
B_____a+
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Laurie

Would that my daughter and her family attended that church.  This is how a church should be.

I hope your coming out to the congregation is all you could hope it to be Freya.

laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

What a beautiful and positive message,  thank you for sharing. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Denise

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Bari Jo

I really really respect thus church.  One of my friends invited me to bible study at his church.  He knows im trans and said it wouldn't be an issue.  I'm not very religious myself, but I asked which religion and it's the same as this.  Full support, that is great.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

KathyLauren

Wow, what amazing support!  That is beautiful.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Gertrude

What a wonderful priest. I was raised Episcopalian and later converted to RC for marriage, but don't participate in faith anymore. This priest reminds me of good things I miss. You are fortunate to have such a priest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

MaryT

That's what I call a true Christian.   I don't remember reading or hearing about anyone that Jesus turned away.
  •  

RobynD

I'd like to bake that guy cookies. What an awesome statement.

•