Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Question about consultation

Started by DeValInDisguise, December 11, 2007, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeValInDisguise

Hi,

I'm recently out of denial and now I'm starting to figure out not where I want to go but how I'm going to get there.  Part of that is FFS.  I've done research and have a consultation set up with Dr. Zukowski in Chicago.  My wife brought up the concern about me going there in male clothes - I have just started dressing, but haven't gone outside, much less out in public and the thought of driving several hours there is unsettling at the moment.  But does it really make a difference at the consultation?  I wouldn't be getting any work done for a year.

Thanks,
Val
  •  

Sarah Louise

It sounds to me like your putting the Cart before the Horse.  If you have just started dressing and are not ready to appear in public, I doubt your ready for a consultation about FFS.

Have you talked with a therapist yet?

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

DeValInDisguise

I realize that I'm very early in and trying to look into things a ways.  But "getting my ducks in a row" is just something I do.  I do some project management, so I deal with things that way.  Gather requirements, define tasks, set dependencies, etc.  One of my ways of coping with a chaotic life.  I'm a bit of an obsessive compulsive nerd.

Yes, I got a therapist as soon as I was able to, once I fully realized.

Val
  •  

Wing Walker

Quote from: DeValInDisguise on December 11, 2007, 07:52:05 PM
I realize that I'm very early in and trying to look into things a ways.  But "getting my ducks in a row" is just something I do.  I do some project management, so I deal with things that way.  Gather requirements, define tasks, set dependencies, etc.  One of my ways of coping with a chaotic life.  I'm a bit of an obsessive compulsive nerd.

Yes, I got a therapist as soon as I was able to, once I fully realized.

Val

Hello, Val,

It seems to me that if your total transition is a the major task, then the FFS is a subtask that is dependent upon being on HRT.  In terms of project sequence the face will not be ready for the surgeon for some time after you start on HRT.

realization -->gender therapist--->therapy/findings ----if yes continue to HRT----->begin HRT---->HRT changes body and face---->#3
Day #1                                                    at least 90 days                  no sooner than day 91          day 180 to 365*
        #2                                                   If no, stop, no HRT

#3  body/face changes/fat redistribution---->Real Life Experience--------------->Gender Reassignment Surgery---------->recovery
     #4 *varies widely by individual and doctor     Highly variable; when you're ready  Respectable surgeons want lots of documentation
                                                            Start at day 366 or later                     Day 366 to 1095 (2 years' duration)

#5 Enjoy your life and times of wonderment
      #6  Day #3 to the rest of your life

I hope that this helps you because you have a whole herd of variables before consulting with any surgeon.

Wing Walker

•  

BCL

I did a lot of research on FFS which included consultations with a number of surgeons, dressed as male.

I also attended the first few of my Physchiatrist and therapy sessions as male.

I cant see what the problem is, It wasn't until I was happy to go out in public, been on HRT and done electrolysis that I presented as Female.

Rebecca
  •  

Keira

I posted a very interesting serie of photos
about the effect of HRT and FFS in the
Can you live life in your target gender without passing
thread (its a big active thread, you can't miss it)
I'd look it up.
  •  

Suzie

Quote from: DeValInDisguise on December 11, 2007, 05:51:18 PM
Hi,

I'm recently out of denial and now I'm starting to figure out not where I want to go but how I'm going to get there.  Part of that is FFS.  I've done research and have a consultation set up with Dr. Zukowski in Chicago.  My wife brought up the concern about me going there in male clothes - I have just started dressing, but haven't gone outside, much less out in public and the thought of driving several hours there is unsettling at the moment.  But does it really make a difference at the consultation?  I wouldn't be getting any work done for a year.

Thanks,
Val

It makes no difference what you are wearing.  I'm 99.9% sure Dr. Z will take your money either way  :laugh: 

I'm sure he has seen patients dressed both ways.

•  

Suzie

Quote from: Ashley Michelle on December 12, 2007, 06:35:00 PM
lol -- i've heard he's a charmer

I've heard that as well.  He was sort of a charmer when I met him, but I wouldn't say that was his defining characteristic.  I may have caught him on a bad day.

•  

Kate

Quote from: DeValInDisguise on December 11, 2007, 05:51:18 PM
My wife brought up the concern about me going there in male clothes...

Doesn't matter one bit. He's critiquing your face, not your fashion sense ;)

Keep in mind though your appearance will most likely change quite a bit from HRT. Even though HRT can't change bone structure like FFS will, you still may find that the things which bother you now aren't such a problem after the HRT changes begin. You may end up doing another consult later to go over your new, HRT'd face.

~Kate~

Posted on: December 13, 2007, 09:06:18 AM
Quote from: Suzie on December 13, 2007, 08:34:32 AM
Quote from: Ashley Michelle on December 12, 2007, 06:35:00 PM
lol -- i've heard he's a charmer
I've heard that as well.  He was sort of a charmer when I met him, but I wouldn't say that was his defining characteristic.  I may have caught him on a bad day.

I was praying he'd propose to me by the end of our conversation, lol... he was SO sweet. It was early-on in my transition, so hearing things like "hon" and "sweetie" just melted me ;)

~Kate~

•  

Keira

From my own experience
and the experience of many many others
the real "Charmer" surgeon is BRassard.
He's so good looking and a very particular voice,
that's soft but authoritative.

If you don't want bony work, Brassard does it and
he's a very good surgeon (He's among the best for SRS).
Very detailed oriented and passionate about his work.
In the same office there is Bensimmon who started
doing bony work in the last 2 years.
I don't know much about him, but one of my mother's
friend who went for a consult said his bedside manner
wasn't the best.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Keira on December 13, 2007, 12:51:54 PM
From my own experience
and the experience of many many others
the real "Charmer" surgeon is BRassard.
He's so good looking and a very particular voice,
that's soft but authoritative.

And the accent... let's not forget the french accent... omg, I just... lol...

~Kate~
  •  

DeValInDisguise

Quote from: Keira on December 12, 2007, 07:40:28 AM

I posted a very interesting serie of photos
about the effect of HRT and FFS in the
Can you live life in your target gender without passing
thread (its a big active thread, you can't miss it)
I'd look it up.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction, Keira.  Other pictures that I found out there did not show it quite as well, and to be honest I've never been that good with faces so I might have missed it. 

Val
  •