Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Eliminating Confusion

Started by Dianne H, November 26, 2017, 11:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dianne H

Recently on another post we encountered some problems with "umbrella terms" such as transgender. The object of this post is not to go into these things but show another form of confusion. Just as we have many terms under the umbrella term of transgender, we have many beliefs under the umbrella term of Christian.

The word of God shows us that God is not the author of confusion. Satan is.

The problem is that in some basic doctrines people are confused and don't know what to believe. One thing which is worse is when people don't see their own confusion.

An example is baptism.

Matthew 28: 19
[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2: 38
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Some people don't know which is the correct baptism.
What is worse is that some know what they believe but can't explain the fullness of this doctrine.

One church knows their doctrine of titles. There's not a doubt in their mind what they believe. Sadly, they can't explain the Jesus' name scripture and how it applies.

Another church knows their scripture on Jesus' name baptism. There's not a doubt in their mind about it. They can't explain the titles in Matthew 28.

Now think about what people who do not believe think when they see that Christians don't know what to believe, or believe a partial doctrine and haggle over it. They stand back and think "these people don't know what they believe. What do they have I need when they don't know themselves?"

Having said this let me share some scriptures about baptism and ask some questions at the end.

I'll start with the second baptism of Jesus.

Luke 12:50
[50] But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

Mark 1: 4-8
[4] John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
[5] And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
[6] And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
[7] And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
[8] I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Notice the baptism of the Holy Ghost is separate from water baptism. We see people who received the baptism of the Holy Ghost both before and after water baptism in the Book of Acts.

Matthew 28: 19
[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Here we have the baptism of "titles" many churches use.

Acts 2: 38
[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Here we have the Jesus' name baptism many use.

1 Corinthians 10: 1, 2
[1] Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
[2] And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

Ephesians4: 5,6
[5] One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
[6] One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

We can see as can the unbelieving, that baptism is an area of great confusion. The only thing most have in common is the blanket term "baptism."

Still; the word of God is clear that there is one Lord, one faith and ONE baptism.

Here are my questions:

1: How are all of these baptisms "one baptism?"

2: When does this "one baptism" start and when does it end?

3: What is the chronological order in which all of these scriptures fall throughout our journey, to manifest one baptism?

I am not posting this to be arrogant. It is a real problem as this confusion has brought about a Christianity which no longer has one Lord, one faith, one baptism or one God and Father. Most believe and speak different things and the unbelieving world around them sees that.

"Thus saith the Lord" or "it is written" has been replaced by "I believe" or "my pastor says" or "my church teaches" or other forms of foundation other than Christ. (the Word of God)

All of the scriptures on baptism do show one baptism. I have mentioned this among straight and cisgender Christians and few cared enough to seek it out.

As the church and saints we are the betrothed unto the Lord. We await being taken unto the wedding feast to become the bride.

The Lord told Eve (church, saints, us, etc...) that your desire shall be towards your husband and he shall rule over thee. If our desire is truly towards our Husband (Betrothed now) we should be seeking all things concerning him for his glory. We should be living for him and denying self. We should allow his word to rule, or be the final authority in our life.

I hope some out there know the answer and maybe others will have a desire to know the truth.

May God bless.

Christian
US Army vet
  •  

Jailyn

I have no desire to be part of a church that claims to know the truth. I only want a church that teaches about Christ and how he can be applied in my life. I agree with you assessment on just baptism, but it comes from a Greek word. So going back the Greek origins reveals that it means to go under the water. So we can apply this to the other meanings as well. Also we have to think of how the Bible was compiled. It was many manuscripts that were translated or interpreted in some cases. So the Bible is kind of unique in how it came to be, so many of the things may be not great quotes and they could have put their own spin on things. I do love your overall message and positivity in this post.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Scholars tell us that none of the Bible was written during Christ's time on Earth. The earliest writings of his teachings were well past his resurrection. Following those writings, kings and canons made their alterations to fit their desires.
To that end, I shall follow no church. To do so would be incongruent with my personal understandings. Instead, I'd like to ask Christ, if ever we shall meet.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

RobynD

Indeed. I am much more a universalist then i have ever been. I choose to worship the Creator in the "Christian tradition", thus I identify as a Christian.

Don't let anyone put a label on you that you don't want, or take one away that you do.

•