Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transgender inmate seeks rare transfer to female prison

Started by ainsley, January 05, 2018, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ainsley

https://apnews.com/8e3e919709db41f1b5b51071a96778b8/Transgender-inmate-seeks-rare-transfer-to-female-prison

By MICHAEL TARM
Today

Transgender inmate seeks rare transfer to female prison

CHICAGO (AP) — A 26-year-old transgender Chicago woman serving a 10-year sentence for burglary is seeking a transfer from a male to a female prison where she says she'll be less vulnerable to abuse.

A federal judge will hear testimony Friday on Deon "Strawberry" Hampton's transfer request. She says guards single her out for regular sexual abuse, taunting and beatings at the high-security men's prison she's at now in southern Illinois.

Prison officials can assign such male-to-female transgender inmates to women's prisons, but it happens infrequently. Federal data from 2016 indicates there were no transgender prisoners in Illinois' two female prisons. There were 28 in the state's 24 male prisons.

Testimony in Benton will include experts describing how Hampton has identified as female since she was 5.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

elkie-t

I had read somewhere that a trans person without bottom surgery might be more endangered (physically abused, tortured and raped) in female prison than in a male prison. The idea was that male criminals would only want sex, while female would see it as an opportunity for revenge. Although, I'd like to hear stories opposing that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Charlie Nicki

I hope everything works out for her. Keeping her there is almost like torture.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

tgchar21

Also, a transgender person who is still fertile with regards to their birth sex but housed with other prisoners of the gender they identify with could lead to procreation in prison (which is the fundamental reason why prisons are sex-segregated).
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: tgchar21 on January 05, 2018, 02:51:03 PM
Also, a transgender person who is still fertile with regards to their birth sex but housed with other prisoners of the gender they identify with could lead to procreation in prison (which is the fundamental reason why prisons are sex-segregated).

Interesting point.  But, does the delineation point have to be srs, or merely infertility?
Discuss. :)
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Gertrude

Why aren't the crimes against her being investigated? It seems a slam dunk to move her if guards are sexually abusing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •