Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Brittle and Dry Hair or Hair Thinning

Started by chinee, January 20, 2018, 05:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinee

Hello my fellow sisters,

long story short:
3 years post op MTF
6years on HRT
27 years old

I have been experiencing shedding of hair due to dry and brittleness. My hair used to be really thick with thick strands as well but now its getting thinner and easily get breakage which I suspect why my hair is getting thinner. My hair is colored treated since I started HRT and my hair has been amazingly alive and healthy in the first half of my HRT period. But then after my SRS, my hair started to deteriorate and get weaken. I am not sure if it was the SRS or if it was because I switched from injection to oral after the first half of my HRT. My hormone levels has been ok since then and I almost have zero T in my body. I am taking biotin on the side for 3 months now but I dont really notice any difference at all. I just started taking finasteride as well suspecting that it may be the DHT but Im not really sure.

My age is not the problem Im sure since I am only in my late 20's and I am not really stressed most of the time. I dont think its due to colored treatment as well as my hair was fine and healthy with it since the first half of my HRT and I have seen many trans girls who has healthy hair even if it was color treated. Anyone here have or had similar case with me? I am asking for your advices. I dont want to get bald in my 30's.

PS: First 3yrs of HRT I was on injections (progynon depot) and the last 3yrs until now I am on oral (progynova).
  •  

Mariah

Age, stress and health can play huge roles in the health and thickness of your hair sadly. I wish I had my think hair back, but alas I have to with thin brittle hair myself too. So I totally understand your frustration with too. There are different products out their that can help strengthen and maybe even help thicken your hair to a degree. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

amydane

I'm sorry you are having issues with your hair shedding, it is awful for a girl!

I doubt it would be caused by DHT, because from what I understand DHT contributes to Male pattern hair loss, and is converted from Testosterone, so no, or little Testosterone would mean very little to no DHT.

I have seen people begin to shed when taking Finasteride. That can last 3-6 months. I'm not a doctor, but wouldn't recommend Finasteride if you almost no testosterone.

A healthy body weight, and eating habits can help. I have seen many women who are underweight, and don't eat enough, or who's weight is fluctuating in the other direction, that have gone through similar sheds. Dietary changes can cause hair shed to occur for 3-6 months from what I've seen.

Two of my sister in-laws have stress induced sheds. Hormone levels can also induce shedding.

Usually new hair begins to grow in after a shed, if your health and stress levels have stabilized consistently.

The scary thing about a shed is the amount of time they can persist. My wife just went through a shed for 6 months and her hair is beginning to grow back. There was so much hair loss that it would clog up our vacuum every time we used it. I believe hers was caused by loosing too much weight combined with an unhealthy diet. Her hair has begun to grow back (thank goodness!).

I've heard coconut oil can help. Put it on the scalp once a week at night, wash out in the morning. I've also heard only washing your hair 2 or 3 times a week can help with hair health and scalp flora.

Coloring your hair can also damage it and cause a shed, so be careful not to overdue the chemicals you put in your hair. Hair drivers and flat or curling irons are awful for hair health.

To sum up, it can probably be caused by many of the thing I've mentioned, and more. I believe those I've listed are the low hanging fruit. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

•  

chinee

I stopped finasteride and lower my dose of E. I realized I am taking way way higher than the normal dosage so I think it could be the reason why my hair is really dry and brittle.
  •